Having difficulty locating the side-stand lowering-peg?

Then join the club - I certainly do, having a lazy ankle: and several GT owners also complain in the 'GT Niggles' Thread.

Here's my solution after installing the longer rubber-topped FJR foot-pegs, which made it even harder to find the lowering-peg readily. 

The welded-on bit (not a very good weld, BTW!) is simply the feeler tang/ prong taken from the OE foot-peg (it's just screwed in), and welded in-line with the original lowering-peg.   After cutting off the threaded end of the OE feeler its length is 50mm/ 2", probably enough for most, but I guess it could be left on for those with larger feet and boots..

On another bike, lacking a welder, I simply took a short length of suitable i.d aluminium tube, secured it over the lowering peg with some epoxy, and lo! - there was light. 

I plan to do the same on my new bike shortly, as a bit of a priority, for if I look down to locate that pesky lowering-peg that's where I'll end up - down!

P1020738r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I've now lengthened the side-stand lowering peg, as I had done before on other Tracers.   I cut the ball-end off the OE peg and heat-shrank a length of aluminium tube onto the remaining long stub - luckily I had some tube of the appropriate internal diameter.

Into the other end I inserted one of the long feeler-pegs, left-over after I'd installed the new longer foot-pegs, and that gave me a neat finish to the task.   It looks perhaps a bit long, but is exactly as I had before, and it didn't get in the way when I was riding or shifting my foot around.   Overall length is now 5"/ 13cm.   

This little modification makes a ton of difference when trying to locate the lowering-peg without having to look down.   I'll paint the new peg later in matte black, as the original. 

P1040968.JPG

P1040969.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Here's the finished, painted job.   Note split-pin now securing new foot-peg, replacing the dodgy clevis-pin.

P1040974.JPG

• 1 month later...

For me it's easy. Slide foot backwards off the footpeg and straight down after the footpeg. But then again I wear a size 8.5 US boot. I can see how its hard for people with bigger feet. That being said it's hard for me to get on the bike. Use footpegs as stirrups and literally climb up the bike lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stansmith said:

I had this problem so I removed the little hangy down part on the foot peg, it unscrews !!

That's a feeler. it's designed to hit the ground first when fast cornering to let you know you're getting too low. Without it you potentially run the risk of scraping the centre stand or exhaust

Archived