MOTORCYCLE ROADSIDE ASSIST services

One of the benefits of buying a new BMW motorcycle - which I have done many times over the years - was that it came with free (?) two- or three-year Roadside Assist, provided here by global insurance giant Allianz.   I never had to use the service but travelled on two occasions with a couple of other BMWers who did - in one case service was OK, in the other outstanding.   Strangely, both incidents requiring RA occurred in Tasmania.

I miss the feeling of security that RA provides, especially when far from home and am looking at options.   I'd greatly appreciate any views, opinions, experiences, especially from here in Oz.   

Allianz, BTW, has a dreadful reputation (mainly with cars) which must tarnish BMWs own cherished reputation, so I definitely won't be going with them!   I had several unbelievably bad administrative issues with Allianz, but touch wood never had to call on them when in distress.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

It's a Yamaha, more reliable than BMW. But I guess you still could run out of gas or get a flat tire.................

I have AMA roadside assistance and have used it for a broken hub on my trailer,  have never needed for my bikes, but then they are both Yamaha.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Here in the Colonies we have triple A (American Automobile Association).

If you are a card-carrying member, they provide blanket roadside assistance for any vech you drive.

I've not had to use it on the motorcycle, but it works pretty well for the car. They towed my old Subaru 150 miles for free when she blew the head gasket.

We pay around 120 USD per year for the coverage .

cb

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

54 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Here in the Colonies we have triple A (American Automobile Association).

If you are a card-carrying member, they provide blanket roadside assistance for any vech you drive.

I've not had to use it on the motorcycle, but it works pretty well for the car. They towed my old Subaru 150 miles for free when she blew the head gasket.

We pay around 120 USD per year for the coverage .

cb

That's really not bad... There's a little extra in our checking account right now. I'll ask what the wife thinks.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, koth442 said:

That's really not bad... There's a little extra in our checking account right now. I'll ask what the wife thinks.

Being a member of AMA offers roadside assistance as well.  $49 a year.

AMA Roadside Assistance: AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Services include towing, lock-out, dead battery, flat tire, fluid delivery and mobile mechanic. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Being a member of AMA offers roadside assistance as well.  $49 a year.

AMA Roadside Assistance: AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Services include towing, lock-out, dead battery, flat tire, fluid delivery and mobile mechanic. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense.

Even better! I didn't realize AMA supported automobiles as well. Thanks!

'15 FJ09

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2019 at 1:12 PM, koth442 said:

Even better! I didn't realize AMA supported automobiles as well. Thanks!

Look into the mileage limits tho. In my case AAA with RV/Motorcycle coverage (how the benefit is structured and priced varies by individual association across the US) turns out to be a better deal as it includes 100 mile tows. They both offer other benefits that need to be compared too. AMA's got a dark seedy history of money and politics that led me to cancel my membership many years ago.

Taking a 99 mile ride in a flatbed down a twisty mountain road in the dark was interesting lol. 

The normal AMA range won't get me home from my office or to a place that can work/store my bike during a great deal of my riding. 

Edited by chitown
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I’ve been a AAA man for my cars since probably my early 20s, and I upgraded to AAA Plus when I purchased my first bike to get the towing benefit.

Fortunately I have not needed to use the bike service, but AAA saved my bacon many times over the years.  Broken timing belt, dead battery, out of gas, even towing my car out of the mud at a rural location (makeout session with a girlfriend).  They’ve always come through.

• Thanks 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, rustyshackles said:

I’ve been a AAA man for my cars since probably my early 20s, and I upgraded to AAA Plus when I purchased my first bike to get the towing benefit.

Fortunately I have not needed to use the bike service, but AAA saved my bacon many times over the years.  Broken timing belt, dead battery, out of gas, even towing my car out of the mud at a rural location (makeout session with a girlfriend).  They’ve always come through.

I definitely need to check into this coverage, road trip season starts in a few weeks for me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***