Need Some Advice

coachluciano

• Premium Member

New Yoshi purchased 9/11 from Babbitts - arrived about 3 weeks later.  Installed and put about 500 miles before this  winter.  Was looking down at the header the other day and noticed some discoloring around one of the welds.  Further investigation realized there is in fact a bad weld and a hole which is blowing exhaust gas out the hole.   Called Babbitts yesterday and they said 30 days warranty.  I said $1000 exhaust with manufacturing issues, 30 days aint going to cut it.  They said to send in pictures - did that today.  Nothing back yet.  My question is do I press this issue until I get a new header??  I'm thinking yes.

Plaq.jpg

Yoshi.jpg

ZoomedImage.jpg

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

That’s clearly a manufacturing defect and should be replaced as it was supplied in a defective, not useful state.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, BBB said:

That’s clearly a manufacturing defect and should be replaced as it was supplied in a defective, not useful state.

Sad fact is it take some time for something like this to even be evident, hence 30 days is not enough. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

That is pretty crappy consumer protection.  Here in the EU consumer law gives you a minimum of 2 years guarantee on goods and services:

social-media-medium.png
EUROPA.EU

How to claim the 2-year guarantee for EU purchases, get a repair, replacement or refund, how to cancel orders made outside shops (online, by phone, mail order).

Also retailers cannot reduce that time by selling you an aftermarket warranty.  Likewise they cannot claim that goods reduced in price or on sale have a shorter guarantee period.

CS

All Yosh exhausts have a one year warranty

yoshimura_website_logo_favicon_1200x1200
WWW.YOSHIMURA-RD.COM

Warranty: All Yoshimura of America, Inc. exhaust systems carry a limited one-year warranty against defects in workmanship and/or materials.   Who is Covered: This warranty is provided to the original purchaser of the exhaust...

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, chitown said:

All Yosh exhausts have a one year warranty

yoshimura_website_logo_favicon_1200x1200
WWW.YOSHIMURA-RD.COM

Warranty: All Yoshimura of America, Inc. exhaust systems carry a limited one-year warranty against defects in workmanship and/or materials.   Who is Covered: This warranty is provided to the original purchaser of the exhaust...

Thanks for that - Just pulled that same info from the documentation that shipped with the exhaust.  2 days, and 2 emails later, and Babbitts has been silent.  Pisses me off that they are blind to an obvious issue and not very responsive to emails.  Save that fight for another day.  Will pursue Yoshi directly tomorrow, and see to it that Babbitts gets the "press" they are asking for. 

It would be worth letting Babbits know, in non-threatening terms, that social media is a powerful tool, and that the 5600 or so Members of this Forum are always interested in who to deal with, and who not!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Babbitts has ignored 3 emails - the last one indicating they should look at this page and this thread to see what the general opinion is on the subject.  Sent all the info to Yoshimura RD yesterday after I called them and have yet to hear back from them as of today.  Stay Tuned...  I wouldn't have even pressed the issue had I not had everyone here chime in with their thoughts. 

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Babbitts has ignored 3 emails - the last one indicating they should look at this page and this thread to see what the general opinion is on the subject.  Sent all the info to Yoshimura RD yesterday after I called them and have yet to hear back from them as of today.  Stay Tuned...  I wouldn't have even pressed the issue had I not had everyone here chime in with their thoughts. 

At this point it might just be easier and quicker to have a local welder do a quick repair.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Babbitt's is local to me and most of us avoid Babbitt's unless your on the Babbitt's race team which gets royal treatment... If it was me, I would have taken a welder to the tiny leak...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

Heard back from Yoshi R&D today.  They want the header back to take a look at it.  They will pay the shipping.  So as to to not second guess my original inspection, I blew my header today. lol.  Was not a pretty sight.  Laying on a freezing garage floor I proceeded to see if I could blow air through the weld/hole.  I was correct.  Have not had to contort my body like that since I worked on my boat motor. 

Trying to stay away from a welder because this header is coated with a post-weld finish and it looks beautiful after it breaks in.  I know it's a header, but I'm pretty particular about my toys.  I would not have pressed the issue past the one email I sent to Yoshi, had Yoshi came back and said it's too small of a concern and has no effect on the performance of the exhaust.  In this case it's probably more important to them to diagnose a potential process failure in their manufacturing at a cost of a header. 

I'll update this post after I send it out and hear back.  Thanks for all the replies.  I use this post as a sanity check sometimes and it always delivers.

9 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

In this case it's probably more important to them to diagnose a potential process failure in their manufacturing at a cost of a header.

In true Japanese fashion.

'15 FJ09

Archived