Undertail storage?

On 3/28/2019 at 10:40 AM, fddriver2 said:

A much better option IMO YMMV

So many great ideas. I like the dry spec tube. I have even been researching making Carbon Fiber car parts and possibly making a box that I can hang undertail using the mounting surface for the license plate holder. I guess the best thing is to get all I want to stay on the bike at all times and see how much space I'll actually need. One thing I wish my tracer GT had is attachment points under-tail to make bungee and rachet strapping easier. A few weeks ago I had to go somewhere and needed to bring a duffllebag back. I then realized this bike isn't really rachet strap friendly.

Any more ideas keep em coming!

Edited by Bimbim18
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Rok Straps are your friend. 😎

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I carry a basic first aid kit but it's too bulky to fit under the seats and takes up too much room in my small tail bag so the location under the tail on top of the tail light mount is just the spot.  Looks like it's made to go there.  I secure it with some wide velcro strap which makes for quick release if required.

Sure I could put it in some kind of water proof cover but if it looks like rain I'll find room in one of my bags or even my jacket in the short term.

587046312_FirstAidKit.thumb.jpg.08e66caeb8b3303b6306051a65235b4c.jpg

20191003_131600.thumb.jpg.8237e6735783cbc8718e7996a996a53a.jpg

Edited by dazzler24
  • Thumbsup 2

And then there's this commercial option that I'm considering...

From Touratech

bag2.jpg

bag.jpg

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I looked at putting my little compressor in there but I thought it impinged on the brake light too much.

It is definitely a tempting space particularly if a cheap (bicycle?) EBay bag could be found that fits it.

The Touratech offering is far tooooo expensive, even if it does fit nicely !

Edited by flyfifer

9 hours ago, flyfifer said:

I looked at putting my little compressor in there but I thought it impinged on the brake light too much.

It is definitely a tempting space particularly if a cheap (bicycle?) EBay bag could be found that fits it.

The Touratech offering is far tooooo expensive, even if it does fit nicely !

That is an excellent Idea, flyfifer - much stuff made for cyclists and their machines can be used on and/ or adapted to motorcycle use.   On my Tracers and now GT I carry a small nylon bag that is called a 'saddle-bag' on biking websites, fastened to the centre-portion of the handlebars, right in front of me as I ride.   I use it as a small alternative to a tank-bag (which I don't much like) and it handily carries my small digital camera, readily accessible for instant on-bike use (saves having to dismount each time a photo opportunity occurs): cell-phone: eye-drops: and one or two other small items.

I intend looking at some on-line sources for just this tail-end use, and would also like to be able to carry my electric pump there if possible.   Great tip! 

LATER - heaps of ideas!   This one - pic below - may suit and at AUD$29 is a fraction the USD$119 price of the Touratech item, excellent though that almost certainly is.   23cm x 13cm x 14cm or 9.1" x 5.1" x 5.5".   Waterproof too, with straps, etc.    In a day or two I'm gonna head to the bike shop with my elec pump in-hand to see what they have...

P1050944.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, wordsmith said:

LATER - heaps of ideas!   This one - pic below - may suit and at AUD$29 is a fraction the USD$119 price of the Touratech item, excellent though that almost certainly is.   23cm x 13cm x 14cm or 9.1" x 5.1" x 5.5".   Waterproof too, with straps, etc.    In a day or two I'm gonna head to the bike shop with my elec pump in-hand to see what they have...

P1050944.JPG

I'm liking what I see!  Good tip and a few to choose from.

Sometimes we need to look outside of the 'motorcycle box' (read expensive) to find equivalent stuff that will do the job equally as good, if not better. 

Edited by dazzler24

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member
On 10/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, nhchris said:

And then there's this commercial option that I'm considering...

From Touratech

bag2.jpg

bag.jpg

Did anyone pick up the under tail bag from Touratech? I  can't seem to find it online and am looking for a model number.

Inspired by this thread and also being a cyclist, I went with a bike product that looks solid. It should attach just fine and fit the space. Test will be how waterproof, but I don't think I'll keep things in it that are too sensitive. Got it from REI for $60. It's a Revelate Shrew seat bag. I'll let you know how it works. I'm thinking of using it for miscellaneous, including potentially water, tools and my lithium battery back for jumping my bike if I drain the battery...

I rearranged some tools earlier this year and was well pleased that I managed to fit it all under the seat. 

I Have now put an MCcruise control unit at the top of My must have even if I don't need it I want it so I'm having it list. (that's the new name for my wish list) Unfortunately for the tools most of the space under the seat will be needed for the cruise control gubbins. So noting the topic replies with the alternative storage solutions  with interest.

Toolkit.JPG

IMG_0160.jpg

• Thumbsup 1