Undertail storage?

Anyone know of any good undertail storage for tracers? My bike is my daily driver, and every time I see it without my saddlebags on it I think 'damn, I bet I can fit a tool kit under my tail.... such a waste of space.'

This would allow you to always keep chain maintenance tools and/or small emergency tools on my bike at all times, with or without saddlebags.

I'd be very surprised if it was not possible to utilise that generous amount of space at the rear of the bike, above the crane-like strut that carries the tail-light assembly and below the rear lamp cluster - see pic below.   There's a good vertical 4"/ 10cm clearance there, and a good length of PVC plumbing tube or pipe could readily be secured across the bike, with plenty of room inside for some basic stuff.   Or you could buy one of those canvas or leather tool-rolls so beloved of H-D riders and use that.

P1050228.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, enx said:

I'm not sure what would fit in there... Anything in that bag would have to be waterproof. That thing will get hammered in the rain....

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

I'm not sure what would fit in there... Anything in that bag would have to be waterproof. That thing will get hammered in the rain....

4 litre capacity - tick: some degree of water-resistance according to the vendor - tick.   But pretty expensive at USD$120 plus shipping - I guess it depends on how much one wants something like this.   A cheap top-box of much larger volume (if wanted/ needed) may be a better option.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, sirepair said:

I've been working on a solution to this, utilizing a plastic ammo box from Harbor Freight. I should have it completed this weekend and will post a build thread with pics when done.  

Have a lot of friends that are using Harbor Freight ammo boxes on their bikes, all seem to be really happy with them.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

Have a lot of friends that are using Harbor Freight ammo boxes on their bikes, all seem to be really happy with them.

I'd like to see a pic of this item as I couldn't even guess what it may look like!   Thanks.

Edited by wordsmith

@wordsmith... The ammo boxes are your generic plastic ammo boxes... "Harbor Freight" is like the Walmart of tools/drills/Sanders/etc in the US...

They are cheap to expensive... Good ones are fairly airtight/water tight for long term use/storage of ammo... Can be found in many sizes/colors... Can be used for many other purposes.. I have a few set up with tools for certain bikes/projects/ fireworks storage...

Edit: I have seen over the years people also use plastic handgun cases for a "top case" or as saddle bags... 

61451_W3.jpg

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Thanks, norcal.   As a non-gun owner I've never seen one of these, hence my question.   What are the dimensions, I wonder.

I do have a very small/ compact PELICAN-style box, waterproof, that might suit if I wanted to go that route - which at present I don't, but one never knows!

@wordsmith

they are found in 2 sizes ..

• 30 cal and .50 cal plastic ammo box sizes
  • 30 cal plastic ammo box size: 11-1/2" (L)x 5-1/8"(W) x 7"(H)
  • 50 cal plastic ammo box size: 13-3/4"(L) x 7"(W) x 9-7/16"(H)
  • Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

3 hours ago, piotrek said:

I use these on the bike with the tools and extra fuel (~1L bottles). For the tools I use tool pouches made to fit the tubes perfectly. Prefer these to the bulky tool rolls. Very convenient.

tool-tube.jpg
WWW.CYCLENUTZ.COM

I agree - very handy!     On other bikes I have used pencil cases of the soft, plastic, zip-up variety as were once used in schools by students before screens and keyboards took over.   Usually on-sale at school term start-up time, for around $1 each - or less.  These - as would the one above - make removal of the contents from the tube very easy, and stop tools, etc., from rattling around.

P1050230.JPG