R1200RT to Tracer GT?

Dbaliko

I had 2009 RT for 7 years and 80k kms, then short stint with Africa Twin and bought GT last February. So far only 1000 kms on it.

RT has definitely better weather/wind protection and little bit better OEM seat and riding position. However, GT has more legroom (comparing both bikes with seat in higher posirion), GT is as smooth as RT, as much power and better handling. Suspension is as compliant as on RT, if not better. The main advantage to me at age of 72 is the weight - with side cases included, almost 100 lb lighter than RT.

However again, with your height and weight you might perceive the GT differently then me, I am only 5'10" and 185 lb.

• Premium Member

Some thoughts. As always. YMMV

Price point. 

What does a FJ cost vs a BMW or KTM? While the GT closes the gap it is still less than either (at the dealer) as far as I can tell.

A question.

Why would you even compare an FJ-09 - Tracer GT to a FJR or a Connie A top BMW? Please......  They are designed to be totally different machines. Aimed at  different purposes.

What the FJ is. 

A mid-weight do it all. It is pretty good at the twisties. (but there are better choices if that's all you do) The new FZ-09 anyone? Can it Tour? Of course. You can travel on any bike. Avdrider has almost an endless series of threads on people riding across America on mopeds. 

That said. I ride almost everyday. I live in South Florida. Home of the worst most uncaring drivers anywhere in the lower 48. I have driven in almost all of them. Traffic is brutal. And the people in cages think they get points for F**king you .

I travel on my FJ (2015) The threads are on road trips 

I don't willingly do Interstates. If that is your preferred method of travel you will be disappointed. It will be a bit buzzy.

If you want a mid/lightweight bike that can do it all (not perfectly) It's a good choice. 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

On 4/10/2019 at 10:29 PM, chitown said:

Maybe it's an age thing... indeed. I'm planning my summer trip now. Two weeks, ~5k, three other riders. One is 75, another is 82. The 82 year old rides a CB1000RR. I'm the whipper snapper at 57. 

KUDOS to that 82-yo!   He pips me by two years ('39 model) - and I thought I was doing OK!!   And have you started shaving yet, chitown?😏

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The GT is a GREAT bike,  I am 72 and  have just sold my Honda  FireBlade and my Kawasaki  Ninja ZZR1400  Sports.

The only reason I sold them was I was  uncomfortable and the  1400  was a LOT to heavy. I loved them both.

People seem to class themselves as OLD at  55/60  ????????  WOW what short lives they are living.

The GT is a very light bike with 110  bhp. It is fun to ride and fast, but you do have to rev it,  it is all very strange to me

as it is the first bike with sit up and beg riding style, I have ever rode. ( I am in the U.K. ) Hahaha.  Every thing is good on the bike, apart

from the screen  which I have changed, and I have put a lowering kit on it. and will fit a race exhaust, and K&N air filter next year.

Everyone should test a GT as we are all different, great engine, great gearbox, great instrument panel, great quick shifter, and engine mapping.

I liked it a little lower thought it a bit tall, so changed a few things. LOVE IT.

Hope you all enjoy your riding whatever it is. 

Archived