Fuel tank sticker

louie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I removed mine last night. Heated it up real good with a blow dryer. Started peeling and the damn thing left most of the glue residue behind.
I was scared of hurting the matte grey so I heated up the residue and worked it with my fingers into little glue balls and picked the majority off. I then hit the remainder with a first aid alcohol swab wiped it off and voila! Gone!
Mind you the whole thing took me an hour to remove one sticker...

I sprayed it with Honda bright (spray polish), a little elbow grease with a soft towel and my finger nail. No scratches.

Great for gloss finish but!

Don't use this method on matt gray it will gloss the surface.... Heat up with hairdryer peel off any residue should be removed with petrol then a clean with mat finish protector

These sticker threads make me laugh. I don't know why everyone seems to be overthinking this so much. If it's not cold, it peels right off. No hair dryer, no solvents, nothing. The tiny bit of residue left on my matte grey FJ came off with a licked thumb.

Maybe the trick is to not heat it up maybe that warms up the glue so it will stay behind?

Seriously, take your bike in from the cold, then peel it off. :)

We won't see 80 degrees for a while - but I used a damp sponge in the microwave for a minute on the fuel tank and windshield stickers and they peeled right off.  Used rubbing alcohol to clean up residue.  
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Mine pulled right off the tank, no heating, no hot water, nothing. Must be the ambient heat here in Palm Springs! Left a tiny bit of residue behind which I used the sticker itself to peal off (thanks to another poster for that tip.)

• 7 months later...
I used my "universal solvent" to get rid of the little bit of residue. I'm not sure if this stuff is available outside the States, but here it is known as Coleman Fuel or White Gas. In the days of old, before the interwebs, it was used to power lanterns and camp stoves. It is an extremely light and clean solvent that evaporates quickly at temperatures above absolute zero. Put it on a rag and scrub lightly, and this stuff will dissolve any petroleum based adhesive. I always have a gallon around. In fact, once I got chewing gum on a shirt and filled a cereal bowl with the stuff and scrubbed at the gum with a toothbrush. When I was done the gum was completely gone.

Mandatory government warning: Use with adequate ventilation away from sparks, flames and heat sources. This stuff is volatile. Do not concentrate and intentionally breathe vapors- Huffing in old Oakland parlance.

• Premium Member
I used my "universal solvent" to get rid of the little bit of residue. I'm not sure if this stuff is available outside the States, but here it is known as Coleman Fuel or White Gas.

I tend to use rubbing alcohol to dissolve sticker residue, and as a sticker removal aid. I think white gas is a bit better as a solvent, but more people have it laying around in their house already.

The warning sticker on the FJ came off easily with a little heat and rubbing alcohol. I recall my old Suzuki's stickers were a huge pain in the neck in comparison.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have a Matt Grey. Took a blow dryer. Held about six inches away from sticker. Then as I pointed blow dryer I peeled off sticker. Then with the sticky side of the sticker, I dabbed off the residue on the tank. Easy as pie.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Use a hairdryer at medium heat (DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN!!!).
To clean up residue use Rosonol Lighter Fuel... works great, super fast and wont hurt paint.  I have been using this for year and never had any issues with paint.  Paint will remain high gloss and no color change!

I have the Matte Gray on my bike, and it cleaned up perfectly. 

Give it a try!  You wont be disappointed.

4150784.jpg  

This subject pops up on every Bike forum that I own.

Next time you wash the bike, do the following. Heck, I do it in my garage.

Just hold a sponge under hot water, not so hot that it burns you, just hot enough. Dont wring it out, and then put it on the sticker and hold it down with your hand for 3 minutes, and then easily peel the sticker right off.

You dont need lighter fluid.

You dont need a hair dryer.

You dont need a scraper.

You dont need to light it on fire or burn it off.

You don't need to use any chemicals that could phuck up your paint.

Just next time you wash your bike, hot water sponge and hold it down on the sticker for three minutes and then peel the damn thing off.

• Premium Member
This subject pops up on every Bike forum that I own.  
Next time you wash the bike, do the following. Heck, I do it in my garage.

Just hold a sponge under hot water, not so hot that it burns you, just hot enough. Dont wring it out, and then put it on the sticker and hold it down with your hand for 3 minutes, and then easily peel the sticker right off.

You dont need lighter fluid.

You dont need a hair dryer.

You dont need a scraper.

You dont need to light it on fire or burn it off.

You don't need to use any chemicals that could phuck up your paint.

Just next time you wash your bike, hot water sponge and hold it down on the sticker for three minutes and then peel the damn thing off.

or just warm it up by placing a cup of coffee on top of the sticker as I stated on page 1, if you don't wash your bike like me :)

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Flamethrower.

03292013_weapons_flame_thrower.jpg
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived