Front End Wobble on Deceleration?

RichNDC

This problem seems to only happen when that person takes his/hers hands off the handlebars when slowing down in gear(what gear/RPM?) but does this happen in N ? 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, thejrod said:

Doubt it. Mine has done it since brand new. 

This obviously affects different bike set-ups differently. As I posted previously after reading about this being an issue I went out riding actively trying to get it to happen and just couldn’t get the bike to shake at any speed. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

This obviously affects different bike set-ups differently. As I posted previously after reading about this being an issue I went out riding actively trying to get it to happen and just couldn’t get the bike to shake at any speed. 

Do you ride the tracer GT? Or are you referring to the fj-09?

regards

• Supporting Member
58 minutes ago, Clicknow said:

regards

The FJ09.  The Tracer GT should be even more stable since it has a longer wheelbase. 

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Clicknow said:

O right, I ride the GT and have this shake at 40mph

regards

When I say it could be bike set-up I mean anything that differentiates your bike from one that has never had the wobble.  Windscreen, stock or aftermarket? short, tall or none? tall torso with short screen? (less aerodynamic) Handguards or none? suspension, stock or not? sag set for your weight? forks raised in the clamps? ride height adjusted on aftermarket shock? lowering links?  ECU flashed with less engine braking or stock? low gear or high gear when decelerating? (affecting front end dive)  Stock or aftermarket tires? new or unevenly worn? what psi? Side cases? top box? both? none? 

Any combination of any of these factors could create a bike that handles differently or reacts aerodynamically differently than someone else's bike.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clicknow said:

regards

This comment keeps popping up. I dont understand. You all know that the FJ-09, MT-09 Tracer, Tracer 900, and Tracer 900 GT are all basically the same bike... I assure you that @betoneyis aware of the differences between the models and his experience and advice is worth considering.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

When I say it could be bike set-up I mean anything that differentiates your bike from one that has never had the wobble...

...sorry, couldn't resist...

source.gif.6ded7e58e451501a3f600af2701ea6ec.gif

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 8/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, duhs10 said:

This comment keeps popping up. I dont understand. You all know that the FJ-09, MT-09 Tracer, Tracer 900, and Tracer 900 GT are all basically the same bike... I assure you that @betoneyis aware of the differences between the models and his experience and advice is worth considering.

Coming from an FZ-09 (MT-09), I can tell you that while they share many components, they ride and feel quite a bit different. The GT is a different bike from the FJ, and handling idiosyncrasies are absolutely going to be affected by completely different suspension and swingarm. 

Sorry if it offends, but one person on a different bike claiming to have no issues has no statistical significance to the many who claim to have the issue on the GT. 

On 8/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

then there's something wrong

Horse is truly dead now

If by something wrong, you mean the chassis just isn't inherently stable, then sure. It's really not a huge concern. A decade of roadracing taught me that even the most minor changes can drastically change how a bike handles. A simple gearing change affects handling...on the same bike. That's why comparing different bikes is invalid. It could be something as simple as some riders sitting farther forward/backward on the seat which may explain why some report it and some don't.

Edited by thejrod
  • Thumbsup 4

On 8/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, wordsmith said:

The extra stability for touring purposes is what Yamaha has claimed to be the reason behind the extra length.

So @wordsmith... do you find the GT handling characteristics to be different from your previous models? More stable?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

7 hours ago, duhs10 said:

So @wordsmith... do you find the GT handling characteristics to be different from your previous models? More stable?

I cannot in honesty say that I have detected any difference, but haven't yet done any serious touring on the GT.   

What I do find is that I prefer the rather wider (by about 5" overall IIRC) handlebar width on the Gen 1 Tracers, and the narrower stance with the GT seems less comfy to me, giving perhaps a little less control, and not as desirable.   But I doubt if it would be easy/ possible to swap given the abundance of 'bar-mounted controls on the GT's 'bars.   Not a big deal in any case, but I thought it worth mentioning.   YMMV.... 

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.