Rear Tire

10 hours ago, jsp said:

Don't put a 190/55ZR17 on a 5.50 inch wide rim. You won't like it.

john

I ran 190/55, 195/65, 200/60 exclusively on my race bikes with 5.5" rims. They're fine.

What you have to account for is the increased height - the 190/55 is a taller tire than a 180/55. The bike will steer a little quicker (not a bad thing - many people drop the front end to get the same/similar effect). The change could also make the bike slightly less stable. 

• Thumbsup 1

If you go with a slightly taller tire please let the rest of us know your experience. As said it most likely will make it quicker to turn in but it could throw off the ABS/Traction control system because of a larger circumference. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that it will do that, but it might.

Anybody had any experience with that?

Tire engineers spend a lot of effort perfecting tire profiles. A 190/55-17 is designed for a 6.00 to 6.25 inch wide wheel. Now put that tire on a 5.50 wheel and you have drastically changed it's profile. The center becomes noticeably more pointed, reducing stability and it becomes a wobbler on a rain grooved freeway. It also  causes the center to flat spot quickly causing an uncertain feeling as you transition entering corners. Another change in the profile is the edge of the tire becomes  unusable. The last inch to inch and half is now at too steep of an angle to be used. If you want to try something different, try a 180/60ZR17.

john

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jsp said:

Tire engineers spend a lot of effort perfecting tire profiles. A 190/55-17 is designed for a 6.00 to 6.25 inch wide wheel. Now put that tire on a 5.50 wheel and you have drastically changed it's profile. The center becomes noticeably more pointed, reducing stability and it becomes a wobbler on a rain grooved freeway. It also  causes the center to flat spot quickly causing an uncertain feeling as you transition entering corners. Another change in the profile is the edge of the tire becomes  unusable. The last inch to inch and half is now at too steep of an angle to be used. If you want to try something different, try a 180/60ZR17.

john

This myth keeps getting repeated...

The difference between 6" and 5.5" is 1/2". Take a 190/55 and squeeze the bead 1/4" in on each side. The profile of the tire barely changes in any way. Go to any roadrace track in the country - everyone from novices to pros are using the bigger tires on their 600s. Do you need that extra performance on the street? Nope, not at all. Might as well stick to the cheaper 180/55 size. But it absolutely won't hurt anything to try it.

Oh and FYI - the Pirelli 180/60 measures out at 190mm - It's just a renamed 190/55.

• Thumbsup 2

So long as tire clears the chain, a 190 rear will be fine. As noted above, many track guys run 190/60's or 190/55's on 5.5" rims for extra contact patch.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

'15 FJ09

Thanks for all the answers!  I will definitely report back when I try out a 190/55R17  It won't be much longer.

I've already raised my shock tubes up 10 mm.  So after the rear tire install it should turn in even quicker.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread.

I had a line on a local chap slinging michelin road 5's for $400 installed out of his garage. Sounded good so I took the wheels off and headed over.
He had a 180/55 rear tire in hand, looked at me, looked at my old tire, went back and swapped it for a 190/55.
He said it would suit me better.  Not sure what that means but no rubbing issues and no concerns.  Yeah the tire turns in better, but all new tires do.  I don't know, seems fine to me, happy new tire day!

50187023227_3bc861939f_c.jpg
50187023107_f8885cbd23_c.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Dodgy Knees said:

How was the wear on the old tyre.?  Not sure why he would do this,  should be OK though.  👍

Normal? I was just as confused but don't know enough to question. Looked like he knew what he was doing by the size of his race trailer.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Normal? I was just as confused but don't know enough to question. Looked like he knew what he was doing by the size of his race trailer.

KRVQVT2EXPBXKRM27A2VK5YETI.jpg

Do bigger tires mean more grip? In this video from the MC Garage, we talk...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***