WTF...???

wordsmith

Proceeding at warp speed during a recent outing I noticed that the short vertical bars of the tachometer turned a brighter shade of green as revs and speed increased.   Returned to standard as I backed-off.   Never seen this before and cannot find any reference in the Manual.

Any ideas, chaps?   TIA...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

It's in the manual you can set the rev counter to turn green at certain revs and at higher revs orange if you so wish.

Set mine to green at 5000 rpm, roughly 80 in top gear my cruising speed.

Without looking it's in the manual under dash display? Also set my dash to black background all the time, clearer to me.

Just give me an adjustable (able to rotate the meter housing) old school analog needle sweep style gauge... So easy to give a quick glance and see if the needle is pointing vertical or not to shift... 

• Thumbsup 4
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Better than a shift light and just what you need for turning those hot laps Wordy!

Yee HAA!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

1 hour ago, chitown said:

Romeo Tango Foxtrot Mike :)

I did, but find no specific reference to it, other than on p 4-12: 'the tachometer can be colour-adjusted...', but no idea as to why, or how?  Can it do pink?

• Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

16 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Proceeding at warp speed during a recent outing I noticed that the short vertical bars of the tachometer turned a brighter shade of green as revs and speed increased.   Returned to standard as I backed-off.   Never seen this before and cannot find any reference in the Manual.

Any ideas, chaps?   TIA...

Pretty sure this is due to the shift light setting where the tacho bars change colour (blue to green) and the shift light comes on simultaneously when you reach the setting, I've kept mine at the default which is 5,000 rpm. The annoying thing with this is sometimes (quite rarely) I cruise for a short period at around 140kph, which means the revs are > 5,000 rpm which then triggers the colour change as well as the shift light to stay on continuously till the speed/revs drop below 5k. Easily adjusted to a higher RPM but then again it's a reminder that I'm going too fast. Perhaps the shift light feature should be disabled once you're in 6th gear.

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Suu Kyi said:

Easily adjusted to a higher RPM but then again it's a reminder that I'm going too fast. 

Going too fast or having fun?  😎. At 5k you are just getting into the fun zone. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, chitown said:

As said above it's in the manual. Green and orange. Keep reading :)

Life is too short!

8 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Pretty sure this is due to the shift light setting where the tacho bars change colour (blue to green) and the shift light comes on simultaneously when you reach the setting, I've kept mine at the default which is 5,000 rpm. The annoying thing with this is sometimes (quite rarely) I cruise for a short period at around 140kph, which means the revs are > 5,000 rpm which then triggers the colour change as well as the shift light to stay on continuously till the speed/revs drop below 5k. Easily adjusted to a higher RPM but then again it's a reminder that I'm going too fast. Perhaps the shift light feature should be disabled once you're in 6th gear.

I just disabled the shift light as I don`t feel the need to redline the bike, just checked and I set the green bar to come on at 5,800 rpm and orange at 6,800rpm, works for me.