FJR bags on FJ

I am curious about what bag-related decisions have been made by those coming from an FJR to the FJ. Did you sell the FJR without bags and use them on the new bike? Did you switch to the FJ bags or an aftermarket setup? I have a 2004 FJR that is probably worth somewhere in the area of $4,000. With the new bags costing roughly $800 that represents 20% of the value of the FJR! Of course, it is likely that the FJR without the bags would sell for less than it would with them. That is the trade-off that I am trying to quantify.
I had the same dilemma just two weeks ago; bought the FJ and struggled over whether to sell the '05 FJR with or without the bags. Decided to keep the bags because I tried to sell it last year, asking $4500 and dropping to $4000 without so much as a nibble, I set the price at NADA trade in ($3850) and it sold on craigslist in three days.  Now, the weather that weekend was fantastic (no snow, no rain) and I left the aftermarket 31 liter top case and threw in a large tank bag and set of soft saddlebags so my buyer got plenty of storage and was happy.  For me, it was a good decision.   
Check my next posting -- I encountered a minor glitch installing the FJR bags on the FJ that I haven't found mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Ummm...you forgot to buy this and the bags are flapping around at the bottom??? 
s-l1600.jpg

Nah, not this time.  Ran into an alignment problem with the saddlebag latch (activated by the  handle) that slides into the FJ hanger's receiver and prevents the saddlebags from being removed.  The latch was offset from the receiver about an eighth of an inch making it difficult to get the latch into or out of the receiver. I used a grinder to thin the latches (and shortened one) so they fit in more easily.  Not a big deal but it was a surprise since I hadn't seen it mentioned before. (I did take photos and was prepared to use arrows to highlight the problem,  but don't do Photobucket or Imgur so that's out.)

Ummm...you forgot to buy this and the bags are flapping around at the bottom??? 
s-l1600.jpg

Nah, not this time.  Ran into an alignment problem with the saddlebag latch (activated by the  handle) that slides into the FJ hanger's receiver and prevents the saddlebags from being removed.  The latch was offset from the receiver about an eighth of an inch making it difficult to get the latch into or out of the receiver. I used a grinder to thin the latches (and shortened one) so they fit in more easily.  Not a big deal but it was a surprise since I hadn't seen it mentioned before. (I did take photos and was prepared to use arrows to highlight the problem,  but don't do Photobucket or Imgur so that's out.)

Actually we have addressed this issue. The solution is to insert bushings on the upper mount bolts to spread the upper mounts. Never seen it solved with a grinder but cant wait for pics of your solution.

There are many ways to skin the cat.

Being guided by the "if it don't fit, get a bigger hammer" maxim, my solution was to use a grinder to thin the top 12mm or so of the latch from 8mm by 1.5mm to 6.5mm.  That allows the latch to slide into the receiver without binding.  

2r6hf75.jpg

It was also necessary to trim the top of the latch on one side so it doesn't jam into the receiver bottom as you lift the handle - which was causing a further binding of the latch.  All fixed now.

I have a few other photos but they probably aren't needed to illustrate the fix (though they do illustrate the problem).

have any of you encountered a bit of play with the bag mounted on the fj? I brought one of my 2004 fjr bag to the dealer to try it out on the floor demo and while it worked fine installing it, There was a little bit of space all around the rubber gromet near the passenger peg and the whole bag could be lifted up like half an inch or so. Nothing to disengage it really.

It's just my first bike with side cases and I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should look for some kind of fix.

On a side note I am one step closer to getting my bike as I've been approved for financing and the top case has been ordered! :D

• Premium Member
have any of you encountered a bit of play with the bag mounted on the fj? I brought one of my 2004 fjr bag to the dealer to try it out on the floor demo and while it worked fine installing it, There was a little bit of space all around the rubber gromet near the passenger peg and the whole bag could be lifted up like half an inch or so. Nothing to disengage it really.  
It's just my first bike with side cases and I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should look for some kind of fix.

On a side note I am one step closer to getting my bike as I've been approved for financing and the top case has been ordered! :D
I don't have any play where it slots into the rubber bumper at the footpeg, but yes, the whole bag can be lifted up maybe 1/2 inch. Perfectly secure really.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 4 months later...
Hi just installed the FJR case support arms that included the cross brace. Just wondering the cross brace flange is taller on one side than the other.
Which side points out, tall or short ?

Thanks !