FJR bags on FJ

• Premium Member

did you get the bags mounted yet? Can you post pics please? I'm looking to order the FJR bags soon.
Yes, I have them mounted and they fit great. The only pic I took after was more to show color match(or mismatch), but as Desertfjr said there are pics on the site that will better show the mounts. Really the dark charcoal doesn't look to bad though. I did take my locks to a local locksmith and they rekeyed all 3 to my ignition key. There are several threads on that as well, but I figured I would screw them up if I tried it myself.
Jon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Might be a dumb question, but if the FJR case is the same as the 09 case (not including lid), why do you need the bottom bracket? Does the larger lid make it that much bigger?
You need the lower brackets for the F-Jay bags also. Otherwise there is nothing for the bags to sit on.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How is the quality of the FJ bags to the FJR bags? I read a few comments when the FJ-09 was first released that the bags weren't the best quality but I've always heard good things about the FJR bags. This thread seems to indicate that other than the lid the bags may be the same?

Even the gloss black bags look very nice, IMHO. If you really want the FJR bags you'll probably have to source them 2nd hand or from someone who has a NOS (New Old Stock) pair sitting in their warehouse. Good luck!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I've looked at all the pictures and read as much as I can about the FJR side bags....but I can't determine if the FJR unpainted side cases stick out further (are wider) than the handlebars? I have a 36" gate I pass thru to park, and if the FJR bags are wider, then I wouldn't fit without having to take off the cases every time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm referring to Yamaha PNs:
5PS-W0753-0L-00
5PS-W0753-0R-00

One thing that has puzzled me is why doesn't a 3rd party mfgr pattern their bag mounts after the Yamaha OEM mount? It is *very* sturdy and, from what I've seen, by far the least obtrusive visually. Is it a patent thing do you think?
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I've looked at all the pictures and read as much as I can about the FJR side bags....but I can't determine if the FJR unpainted side cases stick out further (are wider) than the handlebars? I have a 36" gate I pass thru to park, and if the FJR bags are wider, then I wouldn't fit without having to take off the cases every time.  

5PS-W0753-0L-00
5PS-W0753-0R-00
Edited:  The FJR bags on the FJ are 1" narrower than on the FJR.  I have both and measured last year.  The width is more like 38".  FJ handlebars are 38" wide with handguards.  You may want to remove them.   I don't think you can find the unpainted sidecases anymore, and that is too bad as they would be excellent on the FJ.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member

5PS-W0753-0L-00
5PS-W0753-0R-00
The FJR bags on the FJ are 1" narrower than on the FJR.  I have both and measured last year.  The width is less than 36", more like 31" AIR.  FJ handlebars are 38" wide with handguards.  You may want to remove them.  You also may want to get some vinyl protectors to put on them as you my miss judge the center of that opening.  I don't think you can find the unpainted sidecases anymore, and that is too bad as they would be excellent on the FJ. 

I have the stock handlebars and the FJR bags (I got lucky and must have bought one of the last unpainted sets available as they were being discontinued). The width of the handlebars, and that of the bags are identical at just under 38". So, if your gate is truly 36" wide, you should be able to angle the handlebars through but the bags are a different story.

• 2 weeks later...
I am curious about what bag-related decisions have been made by those coming from an FJR to the FJ. Did you sell the FJR without bags and use them on the new bike? Did you switch to the FJ bags or an aftermarket setup? I have a 2004 FJR that is probably worth somewhere in the area of $4,000. With the new bags costing roughly $800 that represents 20% of the value of the FJR! Of course, it is likely that the FJR without the bags would sell for less than it would with them. That is the trade-off that I am trying to quantify.

I am curious about what bag-related decisions have been made by those coming from an FJR to the FJ. Did you sell the FJR without bags and use them on the new bike? Did you switch to the FJ bags or an aftermarket setup? I have a 2004 FJR that is probably worth somewhere in the area of $4,000. With the new bags costing roughly $800 that represents 20% of the value of the FJR! Of course, it is likely that the FJR without the bags would sell for less than it would with them. That is the trade-off that I am trying to quantify.
If you're real price conscious then keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist(I suggest you pack heat when going to pick them up!...Just kidding!) I scored my FJR bags locally off craigslist. The lids are not too hard to paint if you want something else. The Yamaha spears come off on the newer ones and your favorite paint color can be had at the local auto parts store.