FJR bags on FJ

I picked up the seat from another poster on this site.  It wasn't even broken in, Lucky I was first.  I have only used it around town and haven't put any real miles on it.  It seams fine, don't know if it is an improvement or not, as you may have noted, I found the stock seat fine and used it for 38K without issue.  You sit slightly lower with the Sargent and it is wider, like it was made for a guy with a big butt, I have a small butt and getting smaller as I get older.  There is also a recess under the tailbone so that  may help in long distance riding especially if you lean back like on a cruiser.  I don't lean back so it may not do much of anything for me.  It seams that Sargent does this on their cruiser saddles, and it works so they do it on all their saddles, but isn't necessary on a sport or sport touring bike unless you mount forward pegs and lean back.  I haven't experienced sliding forward like I could do on the stock seat.  It will be next summer before I put  some real miles on the seat to break it in, so I will post up my impressions then.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Guest autobiker
  • Premium Member
Guest autobiker
I went with the Yamaha 39L top case to compliment the FJR side cases. It mounts so nicely on the OEM tail rack and all 3 bags are keyed to the ignition. Back pad is available, but I didn't want it for mine. Solo rider. 
IMG_1168.JPG34B-F84A8-00-00-39l-top-case-city-studio-001.jpg
The Yamaha top case is nice, but it's not available locally. I'll probably get a Shad SH39 and put a backrest on it to satisfy the lady.

I also took the FJR cases to my mechanic (did't have a working drill at home, duh). He drilled the hinge rivets out in seconds; the old rivets were quite long and looked more like 3/8" ones than 1/4". He confirmed that it's okay to paint over the old paint as long as the chipped parts are scraped off and the surface is prepped properly. We sent the lids to a nearby paint shop to get them painted matte grey (my bike's color). The job is not going to cost a lot, but it'll take a few days. It's gonna be a long few days for me! I can't wait to see the finished product.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest autobiker
Here's my bike with the painted FJR cases. I gave the body shop one of the side panels (the one with "YAMAHA" on it) to color-match. The guys did a great job and charged me about $100. The 5/32" x 3/8" blind rivets also worked perfectly for attaching the lids back onto the hinges. I am very satisfied with the outcome, and I suspect I'm the first in my area to do this. 8-)
e7ddd5e580a0a92196044eefe1bbceb4.jpg

Here's my bike with the painted FJR cases. I gave the body shop one of the side panels (the one with "YAMAHA" on it) to color-match. The guys did a great job and charged me about $100. The 5/32" x 3/8" blind rivets also worked perfectly for attaching the lids back onto the hinges. I am very satisfied with the outcome, and I suspect I'm the first in my area to do this. 8-) e7ddd5e580a0a92196044eefe1bbceb4.jpg
Looks awesome.... now clean those headers up! :-P

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I went with the Yamaha 39L top case to compliment the FJR side cases. It mounts so nicely on the OEM tail rack and all 3 bags are keyed to the ignition. Back pad is available, but I didn't want it for mine. Solo rider. 
IMG_1168.JPG34B-F84A8-00-00-39l-top-case-city-studio-001.jpg
The Yamaha top case is nice, but it's not available locally. I'll probably get a Shad SH39 and put a backrest on it to satisfy the lady. 
I also took the FJR cases to my mechanic (did't have a working drill at home, duh). He drilled the hinge rivets out in seconds; the old rivets were quite long and looked more like 3/8" ones than 1/4". He confirmed that it's okay to paint over the old paint as long as the chipped parts are scraped off and the surface is prepped properly. We sent the lids to a nearby paint shop to get them painted matte grey (my bike's color). The job is not going to cost a lot, but it'll take a few days. It's gonna be a long few days for me! I can't wait to see the finished product.
how'd you get them all keyed to the ignition?

Guest autobiker
I didn't. I have separate keys for the ignition and the FJR cases. It's not really a bad thing since I can leave the engine running to power the headlight and hazard lights while I open the case to retrieve my rain gear.
I'd have to go to a locksmith if I wanted to use one key. I tried reconfiguring the lock tumblers but couldn't get the "blades" out of their "slots".

• Premium Member
I didn't. I have separate keys for the ignition and the FJR cases. It's not really a bad thing since I can leave the engine running to power the headlight and hazard lights while I open the case to retrieve my rain gear.
I'd have to go to a locksmith if I wanted to use one key. I tried reconfiguring the lock tumblers but couldn't get the "blades" out of their "slots".
It's very easy with a pair of needle nose pliers. Just be careful as there are small springs underneath the blades. I worked on a table with a couple of paper towels spread out so the parts can be seen easily and the springs don't roll away.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

It's very easy with a pair of needle nose pliers. Just be careful as there are small springs underneath the blades. I worked on a table with a couple of paper towels spread out so the parts can be seen easily and the springs don't roll away.
oh you manually rerolled the lock pins and all that shit yourself? Damn, that's pretty gangster. I didn't even think to do that...

Is there a certain range of model years/numbers of FJR bags that will work on the FJ-09? For example, I see the occasion 2004 FJR1300 (a model number that is no longer in production) up on ebay and wonder if these will fit the same as FJR1300A (the current model number in production apparently) bags do.

Is there a certain range of model years/numbers of FJR bags that will work on the FJ-09? For example, I see the occasion 2004 FJR1300 (a model number that is no longer in production) up on ebay and wonder if these will fit the same as FJR1300A (the current model number in production apparently) bags do.
Any model year FJR bag will fit an FJ 09, the mounts are all the same. I have bags from a 2005 FJR on mine.
Keep Asheville weird!

• 2 years later...