2015 FJ 09 Traction Control

I recently bought a used 2015 FJ 09...It did not come with a manual...

I am confused about how the traction control (TC) works on this bike...

I have a TC button on the left side of the display... a TC light seems to come on

when the bike starts and then goes off...does that mean the TC is active?...does

this bike have TC-1 and TC-2?...how do you access those settings?...I have played

with this with the bike stopped and in motion and can still not figure it out...

I would prefer to have the TC on in the lowest assist mode all the time...

Any help appreciated...

Thanks, John H.

2015 only has on or off, no other TC settings as the later models do

If the TC light is on 24/7 it means its OFF...no TC light means its ON and if it flashes when riding it means it got triggered...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, norcal616 said:

2015 only has on or off, no other TC settings as the later models do

If the TC light is on 24/7 it means its OFF...no TC light means its ON and if it flashes when riding it means it got triggered...

if you want to turn it off - hold the button in for 2 seconds - the TC will light up and stay lite.  Bike has to be stationary (i believe) when turning on an off

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• 4 years later...

As I get more used to my 2016 FJ 900 I tried experimenting with wheeling. So in the A mode from a near dead stop I pinned it thinking the front was gonna come up real quick. It did not. It did one of those 1 Inch off the ground whillie. Then I realized, traction control  was on. So if I try this with the TCN off will it bring the front wheel up? Thanks

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, jcarlson9 said:

As I get more used to my 2016 FJ 900 I tried experimenting with wheeling. 

Is this your first time trying to wheelie or just first time trying on this new bike?
If it’s the first attempt, maybe experiment on a dirt bike first or on something other than your primary bike. Pavement is VERY unforgiving when you crash. 

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

18 hours ago, jcarlson9 said:

As I get more used to my 2016 FJ 900 I tried experimenting with wheeling. So in the A mode from a near dead stop I pinned it thinking the front was gonna come up real quick. It did not. It did one of those 1 Inch off the ground whillie. Then I realized, traction control  was on. So if I try this with the TCN off will it bring the front wheel up? Thanks

You betcher bippy it will!  Be DARN careful in 1st, and whack second with caution.  When riding with unrestrained exuberance (my preferred mode...;D ) I've been known to get "bunny hops" in second with the TC on...

21 hours ago, betoney said:

Is this your first time trying to wheelie or just first time trying on this new bike?
If it’s the first attempt, maybe experiment on a dirt bike first or on something other than your primary bike. Pavement is VERY unforgiving when you crash. 

At 63, and 45 years riding and racing all types of bikes. I'm very familiar with smashing into the tarmac. : )

2 hours ago, phpaul said:

You betcher bippy it will!  Be DARN careful in 1st, and whack second with caution.  When riding with unrestrained exuberance (my preferred mode...;D ) I've been known to get "bunny hops" in second with the TC on...

Ok. Time  to experiment a bit more.

A 2015, at least, will power wheelie just fine in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

I may be wrong about this, but I've never noticed TC intervening in one-wheel antics, and I don't see any sort of sensor that would allow it to do so; it's using the ABS wheel speed sensors to deal with traction (quite well and very smoothly, in my opinion). Then again, I can't say I'm staring at the TC light when the front end comes up.

Again, if I'm wrong and the 2015 TC does somehow know when you've been naughty, please explain how it does this. Is there a pitch sensor or something in the ECU?

To the OP: the TC, ABS, and other warning lights briefly illuminate when you turn the key on (this is simply to verify that the lights are functioning), then all but the ABS light go out.

The ABS light stays on when you start the bike, and goes off after you ride 25 feet or so and it verifies that the speed sensors are working.

If you manually turn off TC, the TC warning light will stay on. If you activate TC (for example, accelerating on a slippery bit of road) the warning light will flash, although it's usually not something you notice because your attention is (or should be) otherwise occupied with more important matters.

I once was hauling the mail down a very twisty bit of road in Missouri, and felt that I wasn't getting quite the drive I expected out of corner exits. I then noticed that the TC was activating on many corner exits. It turns out that it had been so dry in those parts that the road was a lot dustier and traction was a fair bit less than I anticipated. Yamaha's TC is very smooth... I dialed things down quite a bit after that.

• Like 2

For ECU to sence a wheelie there is no need any more than abs sensors, if front is poping up it means rear wheel turns faster than front, so TC kicks in and cuts power, simple. Other is wheelie control, it needs much more sensors.

• Thumbsup 1