GOOP Puncture Preventative

Clicknow

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use Goop, but I do use Ride On since I must ride on gravel roads to get home, I've had nail punctures in the past and my Tracer doesn't have tire pressure monitoring.

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Tire Sealant - flat tire prevention for Motorcycles | Ride-On Tire Protection

Prevent flat tires and improve tire lifespan with this special tire...

• Thumbsup 1

Among the 18 issues that voids Dunlop's warranty is this, too:  "Tires rendered unserviceable by road hazard–type damage such as impact breaks, punctures, cuts or snags"   I figure I'd never collect on a tire warranty anyway, so may as well put in some sealant.  Oh well, buy the ticket, take the ride!

Edited by R.C.
  • Thumbsup 1

Reasons not to... your tyre fitter may throw a tyre lever at you what that crap goes everywhere whilst he is trying to fix your tyre.
It stops a proper internal plug from sealing.

It rarely ever actually works.
I have seen some of them do nasty things to rims and the paint on them.

As you may have guessed I hate the stuff! 🤣

I would just carry a plug repair kit and get a proper internal plug fitted when you can.

• Premium Member

How does “goop” roll at 140mph? I would personally never add anything like that inside the rim. $30 gets you a nice tire repair kit with plug and air which will get you out of any bad situation. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Reasons not to... your tyre fitter may throw a tyre lever at you what that crap goes everywhere whilst he is trying to fix your tyre.
It stops a proper internal plug from sealing.

It rarely ever actually works.
I have seen some of them do nasty things to rims and the paint on them.

As you may have guessed I hate the stuff! 🤣

I would just carry a plug repair kit and get a proper internal plug fitted when you can.

Yeah, that's a definite way to piss off a mechanic, have you seen the mess that stuff makes when swapping out tires? 😲

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Never had a problem with my “tire” guy. Charges me $10 to mount.  I do carry a Stop & Go kit and an air compressor, too, as backup.  YMMV.

Edited by R.C.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, my local bike mechanic tacks on an extra charge for cleaning up the messy goop prior to installing a new tire. 

I use a different tack: When it's time to replace the tires, I have angled aluminum valve stems installed, then install an external valve stem mounted tire pressure monitoring system, not because I'm too lazy to check my tire pressure regularly, but to alert me of a puncture and pressure loss as I'm riding. It saves my ass once as I had a puncture while riding curves. For tire plugging, I have used the rubber mushroom type as well as the tire rope and found the latter held up better. 

• Thumbsup 1