Scottoiler mounting

Clicknow

I used to have a Scottoiler on a previous bike and although it was handy to keep the chain lubed, what a mess it made, and the lube got flung onto everything around it. With the advancements in spray lubes, I now prefer to carry a can with me. Just thought I'd mention it from someone with long time experience with a Scottoiler 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, mingo said:

I used to have a Scottoiler on a previous bike and although it was handy to keep the chain lubed, what a mess it made, and the lube got flung onto everything around it. With the advancements in spray lubes, I now prefer to carry a can with me. Just thought I'd mention it from someone with long time experience with a Scottoiler 

I have never used a Scottoiler but my initial thought was the same as your experience, putting oil on a moving chain at 70mph, it must be horribly messy.  

I cant think of a scenario that an sealed o-ring chain has to be constantly bathed in oil vs. lubing it at the end of each day. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well, that's just it.. modern O ring chains don't need to be constantly lubed. I spent more time cleaning the mess flung by the chain than the time it takes to lube the chain. I'd spend the money on a center stand to aid in lubing over an automatic oiler. 

• Thumbsup 2

I'm just transfering mine for the fourth time to my Tracer. (after 500 CB Honda; 750 GSXF Suzuki, 1200 Trophy Triumph and CBF1000 Honda)

I use Scottoiler since more than 15 years and never had any special mess : as said by littlebruv, you must set it correctly.(2 or 3)

I choose to fix the reservoir behind the left lateral case support with an aluminium support I made myself from a 1.5 mm thick aluminium plate bought at the nearest DIY shop.

I haven't any pic to show at this moment since I've not finished but will have some within one week.

Denis

• Thumbsup 1

I have fitted one of the  X systems and it works a treat, neat little unit fitted in the space between the frame and left hand side rear panel. I just used a small piece of foam underneath it to increase the angle. 

The idea with the scotoiler is to keep the oil to a minimum, it’s a very low tack oil so dirt won’t stick to it like some spray on lubes that have to be sticky. It’s the dirt that eventually wears the orings down.

I have been using dry lube on my other bike and so far it seems ok but I still have to remember and apply it unlike the scotoiler. However you have to fill it up every 1200 miles.

I think there was another post about this with pictures 

If you fancy it go for it 

Mike

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I've used a Scott Oiler on two other bikes and like them.  Because they got so expensive I installed instead a Lubeman oiler on the interior side of the vertical portion of the tube frame for my left side Shad SH36 pannier.  I use the same blend of Marvel Mystery Oil and tacky chain saw blade oil as I do in my Scott Oiler but need to very slightly increase the down angle of the forked feed head, so the jury is still out on the Lubeman.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, peterh101 said:

My V System Scottoiler reservoir is mounted on the left hand side below the pillion seat.  As said above, get the flow rate adjustment right and you are in a happy place.

My K-Tech Razor R shock remote reservoir attaches to their nice bracket that bolts with the provided longer screws to the foot peg bracket, all of which block mounting an oiler reservoir there... 

20191116_181937.jpg

20191116_181611.jpg

20191116_182123.jpg

20191116_182800.jpg