Anyone try a PR5GT yet?

I know they are made for the heavier bikes, but just wondering if it would get better wear vs the PR5... mine are at around 6k now and not sure they'll make it to 7k.  Not terrible mileage but I expected at least 8k.

4 hours ago, mellow said:

I know they are made for the heavier bikes, but just wondering if it would get better wear vs the PR5... mine are at around 6k now and not sure they'll make it to 7k.  Not terrible mileage but I expected at least 8k.

Stop doing burnouts in front of the girls dorm.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Stop doing burnouts in front of the girls dorm.

1 - I don't even know where that is.

2 - If I did, I'd just screw up and dump the bike.

3 - When that did happen, a bunch of young girls would just say "Hey look, some old guy just had a heart attack"

4 - It would then be on youtube.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 3

From the description, the GTs seem to only have a stiffer side carcass so maybe just better to hold up a heavy bike and no real benefit for wear.

I may try the Roadsmart 3s even though I'm not crazy about dunlop.

Edited by mellow

19 minutes ago, mellow said:

From the description, the GTs seem to only have a stiffer side carcass so maybe just better to hold up a heavy bike and no real benefit for wear.

If you are after more mileage I can't say if the Roadsmart 3 will be any better.  I am on my first set on the GT and have about 3500 miles on them.  I am estimating they will need replacement around 6000 miles.  I can tell you that from my experience they are more on the sport side of sport touring as compared to any other ST tire I have used.  Great handling characteristics and they keep their profile shape well as they wear.  Dry grip is excellent and very confidence inspiring.  I will get another set when these are done.

Edited by johnmark101
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s interesting that the PR5s are throwing in the towel with such low mileage as the PR4s are good for an easy 8K and 10 if you want to push it.  That’s not just on a FJ-09 but on my FJR and Multistrada too. I’ve also had good luck with Pirelli Angel GT. I like the Angel GT better on a dry road and the PR4 better on a wet road but that’s splitting hairs, they’re both great tires

On 1/8/2020 at 7:30 AM, mellow said:

Mellow, I've been using the Roadsmart II's . You can get a front and rear for the price of a rear Roadsmart III. 

dun_19_tir_roa_sma_ii-rea.jpg

*The Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II is a re-emergence of the...
dun_19_tir_roa_sma_ii-fro.jpg

*The Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II is a re-emergence of the...

They are making them again, new stock, not old stock. I'm hard on tires and I get the same mileage from these as Angel GT's. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

After trying the Metzeler Z8 and Roadtec 01s, Dunlop RS IIIs, Conti RA IIIs I'm not sure there's much difference in one tire over another...except price.

I'm trying the Roadtec 01s for the second time.  The first time, I liked them a lot.  I rode through some drenching rain for hours and had no issues with them at all.  The Roadtec 01s were supposed to be an improvement over the OEM Metzeler Z8 tires.  I replaced the Z8s with the 01s at 11,000 miles because I was heading out on a trip.  But then the 01s only lasted 6000 miles.

When I bought the first set of Metzeler Roadtec 01s, the spec called for a "GT" version in the rear.  I got the normal version, and wondered if that was the reason they wore out in half the miles of the older design Z8s.  So after trying the Dunlop RS III twice and the Conti RA IIIs, I decided to give the Roadtec 01s a second try with the GT version in the rear.

I have 3000 miles on them now.  They have worn about 3/32nds so far and have about that much left.  I doubt I'll get more than 6000 miles on them with the GT version of the rear tire...again.  I'll never buy them again.

My point is that I wouldn't expect anything better out of the PR5 GTs than the normal PR5.

FWIW, I liked the Dunlop RS IIIs...enough to buy them twice.  Continental came up with a rebate on their RoadAttack 3 tires that put them in the running with the Dunlops.  Reviews on both were excellent.  I liked those also and would buy either tire in a heartbeat.

But the bottom line for me is price since all have great reviews, and with the exception of these Roadtec 01s, all last about 11-12,000 miles for me.

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thanks 1

Current prices as of today at Revzilla.  No rebates yet.  :(  I noticed the Metzeler Roadtec 01 went down in price, while the Michelin Road 5 went up.  Note also that the Michelin Road 5 is not the highest rated tire...but has the highest price.  Supply and demand.  I'll go with either the Dunlop RS 3 or Conti RA 3 tires next.  Both have been great tires in both the wet and dry.

547660251_TirePrices01_18_2020.xlsx-Excel.jpg.48f1ec24db5bf2433674ad9dfe59dcbc.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Daboo thanks for the chart, good comparison. Also makes me feel good about sticking with the Angel GT although I don’t know anything about the Angel GT II other than according to the chart its more money and not as good as the original. That I believe is what they call progress

Edited by Guest