Sump Guard Options

flyfifer

Just received the SW today and installed it.. The mount stick I want to the engine or super easy to install but putting the skid plate on top of that, is a royal pain. I probably should’ve change the oil first given you have to drop the plate from the mount first but have another thousand miles before I need to do it. Overall it looks good and should protect the oil pan. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Garybinnyc said:

Just curious does anyone have the t-Rex skid plate? Decent aesthetics but wondering about durability and protection. Thanks 

Holy crap, that crosses the line from being a mere skid plate and moves right into vehicle armour territory

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I like the hatch to get to the oil filter but wonder how well it is secured and is the strength compromised but he plate - I'm thinking will the area under the oil pan ben up easier?

I was looking at mine (SRC) today and noticing it is pretty low when the bike is on the side stand.  I have good clearance when riding and haven't it it on anything other than the dip at my driveway - my car will scrape there.  Today went to a spot where it was a downhill gravel driveway with a dip in it.  Bike did perfect so IMO skid plate is lower than oil pan and has a gap to tolerate some bending but is not low enough to be hitting all the time.  The drive was to a lakeside restaurant and steeper than I would have voluntary gone down but was with another bike and we were going there for breakfast.  

On 4/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, Garybinnyc said:

Just curious does anyone have the t-Rex skid plate? Decent aesthetics but wondering about durability and protection. Thanks 

Yes, I have this skid plate and T-Rex's crash bars. I do not like them. The skid plate is very wide and significantly reduces your ground clearance when leaning. I have scraped this skid plate numerous times to the point where I am constantly worried about it on every ride. I removed it and am waiting for the SW Motech plate to arrive which appears narrower and better for everyday riding. The lower crash bars also reduce lean angle - I had a nasty scare on Saturday where the edge of the left crash bar scraped hard on the road leaving longs strands of sharp aluminum hanging off.

T-rex is a great company that I own many products from on 3 different bikes but I want to send them feedback about this skid plate which I think needs a much slimmer design.

Also, this is all after installing front and rear ktech suspension, raising preload accordingly, set to moderate compression damping and fast rebound damping, and even raising the rear 10mm with the adjustable shock. I am trying everything to keep the bottom of this bike away from the road.

I have to say I love everything about this bike except for what shit-tier design it is to put such a vulnerable part of the bike (the oil pan) so low to the ground. 

Edited by MatteBlackSmoke

If i slightly overtorqued the oil sump bolts that mount the SW Motech skid plate, and the gasket weeps a little bit, am I screwed? My solution was to back off the overtorqued bolts and then hand tighten to about 10lb/ft per the manual. My torque wrench doesn't go that low, so I just did it by feel.

Do I have to full replace the gasket now, or is a little bit of oil weeping tolerable?

Edited by MatteBlackSmoke

Ummm, I think you have totally messed up and the bike is junk - I'll come and take it off your hands 🙂 

Seriously I don't think so - isn't it a silicon gasket?  loosening and re-torquing probably will be fine.  I would monitor just to make sure.  Even if you have messed it up a bit it's not a hard fix - to drop the pan and replace the gasket.  I worry about the small fasteners and torque settings.  Have studied the click type torque wrenches enough to know they may not be accurate and even if so should be stored with the setting to zero.  Seems to be an area where generally you get what you pay for.  I went to a digital torque wrench.  They are generally much more accurate and hold accuracy better and empty your wallet quicker.  Most instruments are more accurate in the middle of their working range.