Sump Guard Options

flyfifer

On 11/26/2020 at 11:04 AM, PhotoAl said:

I put the SCR skid pan on and am very impressed with it.  It did not say for the 2018-2020 Tracer GT but I went with it anyway as they thought it should work but had not tried it.  Not a cheap one but less than the money and time that would be spent on a new oil pan.  Very well made!  Brackets are stainless steel I think pan is aluminum but very stiff.  The rear mount goes from side to side and is inside the pan so would add strength in that area as well and reenforcing the bottom making it more difficult for the pan to fold like Clegg78's did.  It also has a front mount in addition to the center mount.  Installed it is very rigid and I'm really happy with it.  I had a simple snag when installing - 2 bolts that replace the bolts on the engine cover were 3mm to long.  I just got out the Dremel tool and cut them off.  I notified SRC and they were super responsive and asked lots of questions.  I don't think it will be an issue going forward.  Nice to see folks that make a good product and care about it and are responsive.  Shipping was super quick also.  

Looking at the mounting and brackets I would not trust an eBay version.  Much less expensive and better than nothing but I don't want to be sitting somewhere waiting on a tow truck and then having to wait on parts.  As for oil filter protection I've had the oil filter in that position on several bikes and never had a problem but I haven't ridden gravel roads.  LOL i did ride a few miles on a road that had just been chip tarred as well as construction areas that had sizable rocks in the roadway so maybe I'm lucky!  

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

I just received this skid and it is very well made.  Was hesitant with the price cuz it is far from cheap but it is a top notch piece of kit.  Very happy.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, Wallygator said:

I just received this skid and it is very well made

I'm considering one.

How heavy is it?  I can't seem to find the weight in the specs on the SRC page.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

45 minutes ago, knyte said:

I'm considering one.

I did not weigh it before putting it on the bike but it does not weigh much.  The brackets are steel so they are most of the weight.  Skid is aluminum and fairly light.  If I find a weight in the paperwork tomorrow I will post it up for you.

Edited by Wallygator
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 11:45 PM, knyte said:

I'm considering one.

So no listed weight but with the brackets and skid combined I would guestimate it weighs well under 10lbs.   If the three brackets are a pound a piece and the skid is 2-3 lbs. My guestimate. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Don't be sorry, that's great - thank you for getting back to me

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

5 hours ago, knyte said:

Don't be sorry, that's great - thank you for getting back to me

A further review.  So again the SRC moto sump guard is very nice piece of kit and I'm happy about the purchase.  However, the instructions (or lack there of) suck.  I mean it's not a super complicated install but for the money it should have included proper instructions (instead of a crude diagram) with torque specs for the bolts and where to put the other set of spacers, etc,...  Just saying it would not take a lot of effort to include proper instructions with pics and specs. 

With that said I can't fault it any further.  It's a clean looking guard, is high quality, and looks great on the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

Something I have noticed/realised looking through this thread, is that the SCR (SRC?), Ebay and SW motec plates mount via the M6 engine case screws, whereas the Givi mounts via the frame. I think this is a real consideration, that if you hit something hard, you might crack the engine castings. Not trying to sh*t stir or anything, just an observation and (I believe) a valid consideration. Cheers.

Edited by Manxkiwi
Spelling
  • Thumbsup 3

22 minutes ago, Manxkiwi said:

Something I have noticed/realised looking through this thread, is that the SCR (SRC?), Ebay and SW motec plates mount via the M6 engine case screws, whereas the Givi mounts via the frame. I think this is a real consideration, that if you hit something hard, you might crack the engine castings. Not trying to sh*t stir or anything, just an observation and (I believe) a valid consideration. Cheers.

Very true.  The Givi could be considered a true skid plate, able to rest the bike on it, where as the others are just guards.  They are not meant for big hits, but good protection for street riding or the occasional gravel road.

• Thumbsup 2

Certainly a valid consideration, for my intended use it is sturdy enough as I don't intend to do serious off road activities.  However when looking at the mounting brackets they support each other and IMO would take significant impact to break castings and I wonder would the castings break or the mounts deform as the mounts are at angles and would not directly transfer force but would also have bending force.

• Thumbsup 1

When I hit my SW Motech plate the mounting arms bent a lot, so they must have taken the majority of the force, but the plate deformed as well. IMHO the aluminium plate is a good design, much like the crumple-zone concept in cars, as it is soft enough to absorb the forces away from the oil pan. Of course there is a limit to how much force can be accommodated before more serious damage occurs. 

I use mine for peace of mind on roads and kerbs, not off-roading.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

So this SRC works with the Tracer GT as well I take it?

Yes, @PhotoAl installed it on his 2020 Tracer GT. 

Since they all share the same motor and the mounting arms bolt to the motor itself, it SHOULD fit 2014-2020 FZ, MT, FJ, XSR, Tracer and possibly Niken.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It worked fine on my 2020 Tracer GT.  Only issue I ran into was the two bolts that were supplied for the engine case on the right side were slightly too long.  I checked the fit before bolting them up and they bottomed before tightening.  I cut them a bit shorter with a Dremel tool and a cutoff disk - 1 to 2 mmif I remember correctly.  I contacted them with the info and they were very responsive and wanted details so possible fixed now.  However like anything that I buy to bolt onto my bike I always check fit before bolting up and tightening.

I'm still super happy with it and feel it will do a great job of protecting my bike without adding too much weight or complexity.

EDIT:  What impressed me the most was the response I got from SRC, made me think it is a company that not only cares about it's customers but wants to figure out what wasn't right and do something about it.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, Ride365 said:

So this SRC works with the Tracer GT as well I take it?

35146434_2072809486268381_40523807313037

Protect your  FJ's vulnerable underside including the exhaust, oil cooler...

I have a GT as well and no issues.  Bolted right up.  An the bolts that came with mine needed no modification so they must have listened to @PhotoAl

Edited by Wallygator
  • Thumbsup 1