Can we or can't we? That is the question! - COVID-19

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith You people in the land down under are lucky, if you can drop your insurance. In the State of Pennsylvania if you drop your insurance you have to turn your licence plate in and then have to pay to re-register it when the time comes. Dropping the bikes to liability only is no real savings. Lucky me I have 5 bikes insured.😡 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

6 hours ago, jdavis said:

Police have warned people in our area that fines will apply from now on if a reasonable excuse is not forthcoming.

Up to the Police at the time to judge your excuse.

Bummer!   We want to go up to the Sunshine Coast to inspect a retirement resort that we're interested in - cannot legally go!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

@wordsmith You people in the land down under are lucky, if you can drop your insurance. In the State of Pennsylvania if you drop your insurance you have to turn your licence plate in and then have to pay to re-register it when the time comes. Dropping the bikes to liability only is no real savings. Lucky me I have 5 bikes insured.😡 

I now have a number of on-line quotes to re-insure the R9T when I’m ready, all from well-known and reputable insurers here in Oz.   Some others require a phone call to obtain a quote, and I may do so with a few others after the Easter break.

The SWANN offer seems almost irresistible, one benefit with them being that the bike owner can also include - at extra cost of course – Roadside Assist against on-the-road emergencies, chief of which in my mind would be a flat tyre (tire).  

In fact, with that extra benefit in my pocket I’m not sure that I’d want to proceed with the OUTEX option of converting the R9T’s spoked wheels to tubeless in place of the OE set-up of tubeless tyres fitted with an inner tube.  

The cost of Roadside Assist taken as a separate cover with – say – RACQ – ranges from $99 to $292, so including this service as part of the SWANN deal seems a no-brainer for an additional $140 for their included top Roadside Assist cover.

In order then:

·        SWANN Insurance      $413 to $441. With top RA included - $582

·        QBE                               $532

·        SUNCORP                    $755

·        YMI                                $761

·        AAMI                            $763 to $840 depending on excess

·        NRMA                           $780.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Here, the vehicle's State registration includes a CTP component - Compulsory Third Party - so there is that automatic insurance cover, therefore we don't have to hand-in the plates.

• Supporting Member

@jdavis - Yes, I think the clamps are well and truly on now and it would be foolhardy to attempt an outing of any duration or distance I reckon.  As you say, in your own suburb seems to be the best on offer ATM.

• 3 weeks later...

have just taken out a new comprehensive policy with added Roadside Assist (itself valued at $140) with SWANN - total 12 months premium being $564.18 for an agreed vale of $16,000 and $500 excess. I have devalued the bike a little from its previously insured sum of $18,000 as I'm sure that all values will be similarly affected for the foreseeable future. Happy now that I can get out as from Saturday next.

Also - Q'ld's Dept of Main Roads emailed me today after I prodded them - they are not able to offer any 'freezing' or whatever of rego costs because of the lock-down, which happily only lasted several weeks and not several months. They say they cannot, which really means WILL not. Bustuds!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jdavis said:

I feel sorry  for you people on the coast for the 50k ride limit, at least I can utilize  a full circle from home. I get two sets of mountains, yay.

Yes, you're lucky there John in that respect.  However, after several weeks of lockdown where the weather has been ideal for motorbike riding (mid to high 20s C) it looks like we are in for an icy blast, rain and a severe temperature drop down to 0 deg (for you) for the day the shackles come off!!

Murphy's Law strikes again!

......Standby for the Northern Hemispherians to chime in.  "Cold! that ain't cold!" Ha. 😜

Wordsmith, I'm an older single guy. Single all my life, well never bought the cow so to speak, LOL! I have health insurance and pay cash for my bikes so I run liability and uninsured motorist. The only way the bike isn't paid for is if I "F" up. My insurance on the bike is 73 bucks a year with State Farm. If I screw up I'll just buy another bike and my health insurance covers me. As usual YMMV.

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

13 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes, you're lucky there John in that respect.  However, after several weeks of lockdown where the weather has been ideal for motorbike riding (mid to high 20s C) it looks like we are in for an icy blast, rain and a severe temperature drop down to 0 deg (for you) for the day the shackles come off!!

Murphy's Law strikes again!

......Standby for the Northern Hemispherians to chime in.  "Cold! that ain't cold!" Ha. 😜

Best bit of riding weather we will have in a long time on the weekend.

Screenshot_20200429-200640_BOM Weather.jpg

• Thumbsup 1