It was the best of days, it was the worst of days...

wordsmith

The day started off badly, and got worse – tho’ not disastrously so I’m pleased to say!   I have to wear prescription specs when driving or riding, and have not long had new ones.   I put them onto the bike’s seat prior to donning my helmet while the engine was warming up – my usual procedure – and they fell off.   I stood still and looked around the bike and couldn’t see them, then took a fatal step towards walking around – and felt and heard a distinct ‘crunch’ as I flattened them.   After a few choice words, quietly muttered so as not to offend my doggie and wife, I briefly thought about abandoning the day, but instead donned my prescription sunnies, not that they were needed on this rather overcast day.   They sufficed to keep me both legal and able to see.  Any spe-ling errours here can be put down to my old specs now being in use!

I badly needed a coffee to calm my nerves as I considered the likely $500 or so cost of new specs, so rode off 85 km or so to my fave bakery/ coffee shop at Fernvale, where hordes of bikers congregate at weekends.   I half-thought I may have caught up with jdavis (John), who lives nearby, but the cursed coffee-cancelling covid social-distancing rules at the shop had created a very long queue outside.   It’s always busy and congested in there, but I’ve never seen a queue that long outside.   So I gave it a miss, and after twenty minutes or so off the bike and a bit of socializing headed for home, where the coffee is cheaper and better… but even so, I’m glad I went out.   

P1060747.JPG

P1060749.JPG

P1060746.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Sad 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

This must be contagious @wordsmith. I lost my glasses on a ride yesterday. They must have fallen out of my pocket when I pulled my mask out my pants at on of my gas stops.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I always love reading your posts! 

I'm so deeply glad I've got vision coverage with my work benefits, as that's happened to both my wife and daughter so many times - glasses are not cheap.  I've lost more than one pair of sunglasses that way too. 

3 hours ago, stumpy said:

Been there, done that.  just curious @wordsmith what bike were you riding?

Second from bottom of pic, gold forks (pure 24 ct of course).   BMW R9T Classic Roadster.   Slowly getting used to it.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I stood still and looked around the bike and couldn’t see them, then took a fatal step towards walking around – and felt and heard a distinct ‘crunch’ as I flattened them. 

Oh no!  The full "Ralphie."  I've dropped mine lens down on pavement, but that's as far as I've gone.  Bummer.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

2 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Second from bottom of pic, gold forks (pure 24 ct of course).   BMW R9T Classic Roadster.   Slowly getting used to it.

sweet!  how do you like it so far?  I have been eyeballing those r9t's for a while now.  heard one the other day with a nice exhaust..sounded good

11 hours ago, stumpy said:

sweet!  how do you like it so far?  I have been eyeballing those r9t's for a while now.  heard one the other day with a nice exhaust..sounded good

The twin zorsts do make a lovely deep mellow sound, but by no means offensive.   It's the first BMW I've owned where I could actually hear a zorst note!   That said, I don't much care for its appearance, feelings it's rather too 'heavy' for the minimalist style of the R9T.   Gonna get the BOS taper single pipe zorst, from Holland.   Nice clean simple lines.

P1060750.JPGTaper-lower-300x217.jpg

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I don't much care for its appearance, feelings it's rather too 'heavy' for the minimalist style of the R9T.   Gonna get the BOS taper single pipe zorst, from Holland.   Nice clean simple lines.

P1060750.JPGTaper-lower-300x217.jpg

I agree about the visually  heavy look and it almost completely blocks the wheel.  The BOS looks much more streamlined. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, littlebruv said:

Most people fit Remus exhaust onto BMW's if not Akrapovic

What about individuality and personal choice?  🤷‍♀️

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, littlebruv said:

Not much difference from Tracer owners fitting Akrapovics

I didn't even know that was a thing... 

• Haha 1

wordsmith, I had mine fly off my face years ago on a trip from California to Louisiana back to California. Back then, mid 70's I was 17, no helmet with a bandanna on my head. Me and a buddy were on my 1976 CB400F. Happened on the way back around sweetwater, TX. Went back and found the left lens on the side of the road. Rich had to drive from then on. My vision is 20/240, in other words I see at 20 feet what most people see at 240 feet. Layed on cement tables at the rest stop before El Paso, TX with 1 eye closed and holding the lens in front of my left eye to look at the stars. Out in west Texas the sky is big with lots of stars. What do they say, it's not the destination it's the ride. That was definitely an adventure, Yes Sir!!!

• Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!