Yamaha is developing turbocharged engines

• Supporting Member

What will the future hold for new models?  Smaller displacement engines? better fuel efficiency?  I am curious to see where this goes.👍

yamaha-mt-10.jpg

Yamaha is developing a range of turbocharged motorcycle engines to meet...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

As much as I do love me a good turbo (g/f drives a twin-turbo SUV), they tend to have higher instances of reliability problems.  Any time you add boost or attempt to squeeze more power out of an NA engine, things tend to break.  We motorcycle owners tend to keep up on maintenance more so than most folks who only have daily-driver cages, I'd wager, so maybe turbo lubrication won't be a problem, either.

Maybe Yamaha will come with something solid; who am I to say ?

Otherwise - could have a whole lot of wow factor :)

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

I want to see Yamaha go back to Two Strokes which are their Roots I still have my 76 rd400

Supposedly very soon the Auto World will be going to Two Strokes which are clean efficient lighter simpler cheaper all the things that make 2 Strokes so great now if they put a turbo or better a supercharger on it just think of the possibilities

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Supposedly very soon the Auto World will be going to Two Strokes which are clean efficient lighter simpler cheaper all the things that make 2 Strokes so great now if they put a turbo or better a supercharger on it just think of the possibilities

"They" have been saying that since the late 90's.

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

Kawasaki zh2 is SUPERcharged 

I love their outside of the box thinking but they are just too expensive, the price almost doubles with the addition of the supercharger when compared to the closest comparable 'standard' model.

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

Agree but that thing is a top line sport bike killer. I seen a few for 15k and yes that’s a lot but if the suspension is quality then I would buy if I had the money 

Agreed, the performance numbers out of those supercharged engines are AMAZING and from what I have read the output is extremely linear, although linear at an alarming rate! 😎

• Haha 1

Can you say SECA? I remember the turbos of the 80's. We'll see, the supercharger is more linear because the turbo spools power. The supercharger adds powers as the RPMs go up. Now a turbo-ed 2-stroke, ha, ha. Just think of that hitting the power band coming out of a corner......or maybe not.....LOL! This could get interesting, 😁

• Haha 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

41 minutes ago, tktplz said:

Can you say SECA? I remember the turbos of the 80's. We'll see, the supercharger is more linear because the turbo spools power. The supercharger adds powers as the RPMs go up. Now a turbo-ed 2-stroke, ha, ha. Just think of that hitting the power band coming out of a corner......or maybe not.....LOL! This could get interesting, 😁

I'm envisioning an inside pass, turbo kicks in, and the squirts out, knocking over the outside bikes like bowling pins! Call it the Pedrosa Move.

• Haha 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Just now, maximo said:

I'm envisioning an inside pass, turbo kicks in, and the squirts out, knocking over the outside bikes like bowling pins! Call it the Pedrosa Move.

Even without a turbo. Just think how light our bikes would be with a triple 2-stroke, fuel injected so it runs clean. Now that would be fun!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

I've been doing some perusal of the major auto manufacturers and there's new technology that will make two-stroke a reality well before electric cars will have the range to compete now electric is cool because you get full torque from zero revs they have circuitry that makes it linear but if you could flash an ECU you'd be burning rubber from the get-go

32 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've been doing some perusal of the major auto manufacturers and there's new technology that will make two-stroke a reality well before electric cars will have the range to compete now electric is cool because you get full torque from zero revs they have circuitry that makes it linear but if you could flash an ECU you'd be burning rubber from the get-go

Volvo said they had that technology 10 years ago and it’s still not come to light. Check out Achates, this is being tested now in Ford trucks. Lots of new stuff around but it just seems to falter