• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Recommended Accessories? New Owner.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:33 PM, Doehle said:

Hello everyone.

I am looking for recommended accessories that do not alter the performance of the bike.

Front fender extender from R&G Racing (and you won't need a radiator guard)

Mirror extenders

Rubber top foot pegs

Small Tank bag with port for phone charging cable and USB charger

Touring windshield

Blaster bright LED tail light with flash modes

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 6/23/2020 at 1:33 AM, Doehle said:

Hello everyone.

I am looking for recommended accessories that do not alter the performance of the bike. I am thinking SW Tech crash bars (looking for protection if I dump the bike, or it blows over........... would also be nice if they protected my leg a bit in a crash), and maybe their Skid Plate.

I am on the fence for a windscreen. I am nervous of altering how the bike rides, as I love the handling, and the main reason I got the bike is how well it tracks on windy days.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Hi Doehle, I spent quite a bit on OEM accessories soon after I got the bike in June last year. I try and stick with OEM as find they're better quality and fit. Not saying aftermarket items are of poor quality but prefer OEM. So; starting from the front, Touring Screen (big improvement), Radiator guard (must have), Engine sliders (hopefully will never need them), Top Case (essential for touring), Denali Sound Bomb Mini (only aftermarket item, lower tone, works well). Tried FJR pegs with the rubber on top but they stuck out too far so have gone back to the original. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, Doehle said:

Hello everyone.

I am looking for recommended accessories that do not alter the performance of the bike. I am thinking SW Tech crash bars (looking for protection if I dump the bike, or it blows over........... would also be nice if they protected my leg a bit in a crash), and maybe their Skid Plate.

I am on the fence for a windscreen. I am nervous of altering how the bike rides, as I love the handling, and the main reason I got the bike is how well it tracks on windy days.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

The SW Motech crash bars do not protect the lower engine cases in the event of a crash.  I'd recommend the Givi (or, cheaper and identical, Kappa) crash bars, as they extend all the way below the engine.  Givi part #TN2139, Kappa part number KN2139.

These are the Kappa bars on my bike: 

Front.thumb.jpg.32d818f5ed6ebbeb0bfa88f1a6f172c9.jpgLeft.thumb.jpg.f9446073830ad7ce6e2cbbeea6890a3f.jpgRight.thumb.jpg.822b8db298f7d6a4883965f8401e9f6a.jpg

Sadly, she hasn't been that clean in a long time ;)

Windscreens are so personal.  Others can provide better input than me here; I dislike the stock windshield but don't want a huge barn door either, so mines likely going to be replaced by a Puig Shorty when I get some spare cash.  I'm pretty much indifferent to wind, though; I've ridden naked bikes and street bikes my whole life.

• Like 1

Here is my bike with some mods

I also have a radiator grill that I made myself. It os a must! 

The bike in the link picture it's not mine! No ideea why it shows up....

Edited by TheBigG

• Premium Member
On 6/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, trevinator said:

im 6'1" and just installed the v-stream touring windscreen, but even it has a bit of turbulent air on the top of my helmet, so i have a windscreen spoiler on the way for it. 

I had the same experience with the V-Stream. I ran it for about three years and it was okay, but not great. I thought about adding a spoiler but never got around to it.

I recently switched to the 26" Madstad screen and airflow is considerably smoother and quieter than the V-Stream. The Madstad mounting bracket also allows you to adjust the screen angle which is hugely valuable. I know "Buy a different screen" probably isn't what you want to hear, but hopefully this is helpful to anyone else reading the thread. 

26 minutes ago, keithu said:

I had the same experience with the V-Stream. I ran it for about three years and it was okay, but not great. I thought about adding a spoiler but never got around to it.

I recently switched to the 26" Madstad screen and airflow is considerably smoother and quieter than the V-Stream. The Madstad mounting bracket also allows you to adjust the screen angle which is hugely valuable. I know "Buy a different screen" probably isn't what you want to hear, but hopefully this is helpful to anyone else reading the thread. 

honestly, the v-stream is almost perfect for me, and i think once i get the spoiler on, it will be perfect. the slight turbulence it has now is 10x better than the stock windscreen that was like a hurricane in my ears. besides, i got a hell of a deal on it. i found it for $168 on ebay brand new!

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, trevinator said:

honestly, the v-stream is almost perfect for me, and i think once i get the spoiler on, it will be perfect. the slight turbulence it has now is 10x better than the stock windscreen that was like a hurricane in my ears. besides, i got a hell of a deal on it. i found it for $168 on ebay brand new!

Definitely let us know how the spoiler works out. I would like to sell my used V-Stream at some point, and if we know it can be made better that should increase my resale value. 😀

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/23/2020 at 1:58 AM, KillEmAll4u said:

4) Yamaha OEM quick shifter (not a must have until you have it!)

I sell the things, and even I have to concede that for street use they're a toy - but what a wonderful toy! 🤩

I can't beat Partzilla's US$135 price, but I can match it, and I can sure beat their 22-27 days lead time! Order today, it ships out tomorrow!

• Thumbsup 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

On 6/28/2020 at 6:37 PM, TTR Ignition said:

I sell the things, and even I have to concede that for street use they're a toy - but what a wonderful toy! 🤩

I can't beat Partzilla's US$135 price, but I can match it, and I can sure beat their 22-27 days lead time! Order today, it ships out tomorrow!

Hah I always thought quickshifters where a silly toy on a street bike, kinda mocked the whole idea.  

Then I rode my Tracer for the first time. 

Once you get on the gas, WOT, don't let off at all and just tap through the gears...  It's pure joy.  Yup, it's absolutely a toy.  Totally unnecessary; clutchless upshifts are nearly as fast and nearly as seamless, but oh my god is it ever fun.  Doesn't help that they work better the harder you're on the throttle, too, makes it so tempting to use all the time :)

For $135, man, that's TOTALLY worth it. 

• Thumbsup 3

10 hours ago, jamespansbro@yahoo said:

Do not buy givi crash bars. If you enjoy jigsaw puzzles and are willing to accept bars that  ALMOST fit be forewarned. Madstad windshield is a good choice.

My Givi (well, Kappa, but they're the same) crash bars fit just fine.  You do have to follow the directions because all the spacers are different though.