Phone Mount

5 hours ago, betoney said:

I have read a lot of occurrences on different bike forums of the image stabilization being affected or no longer usable like @Wintersdark mentioned, after using the phone on a bar mount.

Apparently iPhone 11's in particular are vulnerable to damage *even when not using the camera*.  Lots and lots of reports of it.  YMMV, of course - I've never had a problem with my s10+ or previous phones, but.... *Shrugs* phones are expensive, and I like my camera, so I do what I can to minimize that.

• Thumbsup 2

18 hours ago, betoney said:

I have read a lot of occurrences on different bike forums of the image stabilization being affected or no longer usable like @Wintersdark mentioned, after using the phone on a bar mount.

that is interesting, I did some further reading and am seeing people reporting the same.   I am curious how much of a vibration difference there is being mounted to the chassis/body vs. the bars especially with a X-Grip heavy ram mount like the Qi one I have... I know the Quad locks have almost no give or vibration isolation.     The engine vibrations (which are high frequency and power and are the more likely causes of the OIS failure than road vibrations) are everywhere on the bike, so I am unsure how alternative mountings will change that to any extent. 

Mounting to the windshield mount/adjustment like some have seem like it would be even worse. 

I am looking at trying some other options as I have an 11 Pro and I found a thread here on them dying from bikes: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/594197/Will+shaking+damage+the+image+stabilization   

Also This could be a good option.  Wire coil vibration isolation like this has been used in a lot of industries to take out vibrations.   Looks like this could be adapted to a RAM mount system pretty easily. 

bk_240x240.jpg?v=1549601652

A must-have for thumpers. Single-cylinder bikes like to vibrate. And that...

And one last post.  If you look at a number of threads on various ADV forums, you'll see a lot of people using phones just for GPS/nav/music on their bike.  Stuff like the Kyocera Duraforce phones.     I may look at doing something similar myself. 

OK last reply to this thread for now :)  I just took some dimensions on my Tracer and I am going to work on a mounting plate that will use the 2 bolts in front of the rider (which are vibration dampened already with rubber) to extend a mounting position for a RAM Ball mount out in the center in front of the rider, and also allow for using or adapting anti vibration plates.  

My test will be printed in carbon fiber nylon which on its own should have some vibration isolating characteristics. 

• Thanks 1

My first prototype mount,  I am on a couple revisions since this, it clears the bars in the stock position on the left/right lock by a few MM.   Keeps the ball mount close but not too close to the bars.   I have some work I am doing on the underside to stabilize it even more, but I do like the location and it could work very well and not interfere with a tank bag. 

(this prototype is in clear PETG, final one will be in a matte black carbon fiber nylon that can handle the temperatures and direct sun.  May also try in Carbon Fiber Poly Carbonate.  )image.png.76ec73e499e7b3571be919b403ead9fd.png

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

the handlebar has alot of unnecessary vibration for the phone, where i mount mine is like a dead space. i use an aluminum go pro mount bolted to the trim. 

also the trim is cheap if it comes time to selling the bike

Edited by jrubicon
  • Thumbsup 1

Yeah I am working on the same concept, but doing it so there is no material change to the actual trim.   And because I have the resources to make a mount from scratch I am doing that :)

From just having the bike idling, the vibration profile is far different in this location than the bars.   It definitely is a lower frequency (still with some vibration).   I am thinking of printing one of these with built in dampening with some TPU printed bolt sleeves for the RAM mount to run through.     

In this configuration the phone sits right even with the top of it being parallel to the bottom of the TFT display when riding relaxed.    It still will have some bounce/movement due to the trim itself having some flex.    I am printing another with the mount moved toward the rider by 3mm to give just a little more clearance to the bars.   ( I am also printing a new lower phone brace for this charger to let the iPhone sit slightly lower in the mount. )

image.thumb.png.d8e5bd28c0c6a6fe1e11389a7f0131e0.png

20200716_040703579_iOS.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

I use these cases from Ultimateaddons. They’re waterproof, but pertinent to this discussion, the phone sits in a silicone cushion within the tough outer case. Of course, that makes it easier for the manufacturer to adapt a generic outer to the variations of individual phones, but it serves as a very efficient motion/shock system as well. 

iibpzrh4vdg_240x.jpg?v=1571067585

Overview What's Included If you are looking for the best case to mount your...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

@Clegg78 I was just wondering, since you have the equipment and know how, Is there a way you could make a base plate that would attach to the back side of the windshield holder so that the phone would be positioned just above the instrument cluster?

5 hours ago, showmerider said:

@Clegg78 I was just wondering, since you have the equipment and know how, Is there a way you could make a base plate that would attach to the back side of the windshield holder so that the phone would be positioned just above the instrument cluster?

Yeah there are actually some designs out there already for that that someone else drew up, but I cant find it right now.   I can take my trusty calipers and give it a go probably next week :)  I need to get this design wrapped up first :)

One thing to consider is there is a TON of vibration on that mount from the wind screen... so if you are concerned about your phone camera living or dying, that would not be a place to mount it IMO. 

I am going to do some rides with my phone on the mount on the bars, and one on the new mount on the front of the tank with a vibration measurement app to see if there is any difference in frequency and amplitude between the two.