6th gear whine

47 minutes ago, AG.BELL said:

Can a different muffler cover up the transmission whine and still not be too loud?

Sure. Or you can just shift to 5th gear. I typically stay out of 6th until at least 100 kph/60mph. 
Some riders here have also switched to a traditional (non-damped) sprocket. 
Make sure your chain isn’t too tight, this also magnifies the sound  

-Skip 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, AG.BELL said:

Can a different muffler cover up the transmission whine and still not be too loud?

Like @skipperT mentioned, I too only use 6th gear when over 70mph on the highway and by that time you have the sound of wind noise.  Along with ear plugs and a quiet helmet, I have never heard the transmission, I never hear my slip-on exhaust either.🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

... Some riders here have also switched to a traditional (non-damped) sprocket. 
Make sure your chain isn’t too tight, this also magnifies the sound.

I just switched to an undamped 17 sprocket and a brand new chain and 3rd and 6th gear whine just like they always have!  (Somewhere between leaf blower and chain saw pitch.)

Chain noise is less however!

One benefit of 17 front is you spend ,more time in 5th gear, less in 6th.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Don't forget the Trans it stacked on top ,so the noise is more noticeable. Plus you got the chain and a Motor right out in the open with cam chain right on the end of the beast ,along with alternator and clutch on opposite side  .

MIKE

• Supporting Member

So little information in that opening post. Does sound like maybe chain tension, and that is very fixable. Pull the clutch in and see if the sound persists. I am guessing you haven't changed out the chain/sprockets recently?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Good information guys, thanks.  I run my chains on the loose side, they last longer.

I think I should contact the individuals who have changed mufflers so I can get an answer to the original question.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:11 PM, AG.BELL said:

Yes.

..Scorpion Serket Taper. Loud enough to sound deeper and stop you worrying about any other running noises, yet, with the dB killer in, is civil enough to avoid grannies fainting. And, smoother riding after ECU flash. And weighs less. And looks nicer than OEM.

• Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)