Tracer 900 for long rides

Seric

I'll chime in to say I plan this summer and fall to do several trips of 2,000 miles and know it will be grand on my 900. I'm also an FJR and Connie veteran, and no one will argue that the 900 is that sort of bike. But modified for your body, I love how it is fun in the sun and smooth on the slab. It's less a mile muncher than my Connie was, but it fits me much better, and I don't get sore. I don't even have or want cruise control, finding a cramp buster a standard on all my bikes and I have a cheap throttle lock that I can engage for occasional arm stretching. 

If I were buying a bike only to do 2,000 mile trips, I wouldn't get my 900. But as a one bike person, it's a dream. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I have a cheap throttle lock that I can engage for occasional arm stretching.

I need to recommend something for my brother on his Honda 919 for our week-long ride in June, what are you using?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 minutes ago, betoney said:

Cool, I will send him the suggestion. 👍

Glad to be of any help! As throttle locks go, this one doesn't require any changes to the bar ends and can be kept in a pocket or tank bag. Super easy and fast to use. You tighten that little screw and it holds your current RPM just great. I find I engage it for maybe 30 seconds at at time to stretch out my arm and hand. My cramp buster already keeps me from having to use any grip on the throttle. Together, they work like a dream. And even when I had cruise control on my Aprilia and my FJR, I rarely used it. I just like the right hand engine connection! 

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed the cruse control on my Tracer GT.  Prior to there Tracer GT had a BMW F800GT with a KRAKO (sp?) throttle lock.  It worked well but is best on a level road.  On hilly roads it was to hard to use.  I've done several long trips and hope to get a couple in this year including making it to San Jose CA.  I've been as far west as Idaho and Western Montana.  Have been thru some wonderful country but there are long flat straight stretches involved.  The first 800 miles of my trips west are usually to same roads and something that needs to be conquered to get to more fun roads and country.  My last trip with the Tracer was the easiest yet, good seat (Bagster + AirHawk) descent windscreen and the bike likes to go.  I came from sport bikes to a BMW F800GT to the 2020 Tracer GT.  The BMW was competent but I never warmed up to the engine.  The Tracer GT is a great combination of the good attributes of the BMW with a wonder power plant that is more like a sport bike engine.  Good sound and great power do make a difference.  Great on the long trips but also fun when back home, take off the bags and go play in the curves.  I'm looking forward to more long and short trips.

• Thumbsup 1