YAMAHA MT-09 SP

wordsmith

I have just 'discovered' this bike, and wonder if anyone here has one, or has ridden one, and if so with what opinions and conclusions.   

I understand that the SP is not (or has not been) imported into the USA and Canada.   From some early reading and on-line reviews and test-rides from the UK it appears to be an upgraded MT-09 (FJ-09), with different headlight 'styling' at the front, an attractive paint job, a ghastly-looking rear fender/ plate carrier, and seriously upgraded suspension comprising a fully-adjustable KYB fork and OHLINS rear shock.   

Of greater interest to me - with my wonky stiff knees, hips, and ankles - is the seat-height of only 820mm (vs the even more helpful 804mm of my BMW R9T).

Keenly-priced, tho' more day-ride/ sports oriented than (say) the Tracer GT.

I'd be very interested in any comments, links to any other reviews or posts, etc.   

Wordsmith

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Good to hear from you wordsmith!                                                                                                        just typed in Yamaha MT09 SP and many reviews turned up and the reviews that I looked at all seemed very positive. I sure wish that flat seat was on my GT. Happy hunting🦘

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

6 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I have just 'discovered' this bike, and wonder if anyone here has one, or has ridden one, and if so with what opinions and conclusions.   

I understand that the SP is not (or has not been) imported into the USA and Canada.   From some early reading and on-line reviews and test-rides from the UK it appear to be an upgraded MT-09 (FJ-09), with different headlight 'styling' at the front, an attractive paint job, a ghastly-looking rear fender/ plate carrier, and seriously upgraded suspension comprising a fully-adjustable KYB fork and OHLINS rear shock.   

Of greater interest to me - with my wonky stiff knees, hips, and ankles - is the seat-height of only 820mm (vs the helpful 804mm of my BMW R9T).

Keenly-priced, tho' more day-ride/ sports oriented than (say) the Tracer GT.

I'd be very interested in any comments, links to any other reviews or posts, etc.   

Wordsmith

That looks a lot like our FZ09 here in the states besides the KYB and the Ohlins.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

I feel with the mt09 the base model and upgrading the suspension is a better choice. 

The MT10, I'd rather the sp model. The semi active ohlins setup is great and worth the extra. 

It all comes down to the individual. Ride them both and decide from there. Is the sp right for you, or could you have a better ride buying and upgrading the stock variant. 

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

I feel with the mt09 the base model and upgrading the suspension is a better choice. 

The MT10, I'd rather the sp model. The semi active ohlins setup is great and worth the extra.

Completely agree. The MT-10 SP is a beautiful machine, well worth the $$$.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, StealthAu said:

Is the sp right for you, or could you have a better ride buying and upgrading the stock variant. 

Good points, which I must say I had begun to consider - thank you!   Prices here are AUD$15999 for the SP or AUD$14249 for the 'standard' MT-09, a difference of AUD$1750.   

When I had a very serious both-ends K-TECH upgrade to the suspension of my late Tracer 900 GT it cost me a very well-spent $2100.  Should the SP's already upgraded suspension not be quite up to scratch out-of-the-box I reckon my suspension guru could tweak it for very little.   But the cost difference does also include gold vs black fork (I much prefer the gold) plus some other minor embellishments such as stitching on the SP seat, SP decals on wheel rims, fancy and (IMHO) quite tasty paint job, and so on.  But alas, the SP version has that fugly rear fender/ plate/ light carrier - the very first thing to go!

So should I be interested in proceeding I think the extra relatively few $$$s for the SP would be the better buy, especially as there's a new one advertised in a dealership here @ AUD$14636!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Wordy, you need to get with the FaceBook kiddies. MT09 Australia will tell you all you need from the owners.

BTW, a fellow rider I know had a Nine T, and sold it for a Tracer. First run was the Silo ride, and it had to be shipped down from Townsville.

5 hours ago, jdavis said:

Wordy, you need to get with the FaceBook kiddies. MT09 Australia will tell you all you need from the owners.

BTW, a fellow rider I know had a Nine T, and sold it for a Tracer. First run was the Silo ride, and it had to be shipped down from Townsville.

Don't have FB in this home, jd - fed-up with continuous attempted scams.

• Thumbsup 4

22 hours ago, StealthAu said:

It all comes down to the individual. Ride them both and decide from there. Is the sp right for you, or could you have a better ride buying and upgrading the stock variant. 

The sp forks are better than stock gt, but that’s not saying much. They are still just ok ish. UpgradIng  your gt forks, and a shock built for you ( not ohlins with stock weight spring )is money better spent. MT10...It’s a bit ott power wise, unless your one of those who can ride @ WOT on an 09. It also drinks fuel with no regard to your wallet. 

3 hours ago, betoney said:

70mph w/ a CR125 2-Stroke motor!!  👍  I want one!

I want two - one for me, one for the missus!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jdavis said:

I very much wish that I could get back on a GT, but I simply cannot.   A tip to all you youngsters out there - DO NOT GET OLD!!