another melted dash thanks to national cycle

today on the way home from work, i noticed my dash looked a little funny. upon closer inspection, the upper part of my speedometer was melted! i had the national cycle vstream touring windscreen on my bike. as soon as i got home, i swapped it back to the stock screen because i dont want to be replacing $150 screens every couple months!

i could have sworn that i saw someone make a metal surround for the fj-09/super tenere screen somewhere?

118128219_3160532550726965_7486459293585915138_o.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

i believe its acting as a parabolic mirror and reflecting the light and heat to that single point on the speedometer. i wouldnt mind keeping the screen on there, but i want a metal guard over the speedometer first.

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, trevinator said:

i believe its acting as a parabolic mirror and reflecting the light and heat to that single point on the speedometer. i wouldnt mind keeping the screen on there, but i want a metal guard over the speedometer first.

A lot of motorcycle windscreens are blacked out on the bottom portion, could some flat black spray on the inside prevent this issue?

Grey Smoke

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Wow... were you riding into the sun?

I just put a PUIG Touring screen on mine and a part of the instructions said don't park the bike facing into the sun because the shape of the screen can focus the sun and melt plastic.

Which I have to remember...

Blue Lives Matter

1 hour ago, Tango said:

Wow... were you riding into the sun?

I just put a PUIG Touring screen on mine and a part of the instructions said don't park the bike facing into the sun because the shape of the screen can focus the sun and melt plastic.

Which I have to remember...

i think it happened when i was parked while at work.

• Supporting Member

Booo!!  That sucks!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

The Honda ST 1300 had the same issue. And also had the warning of parking facing the sun. I rode to work allot in the summer so it would be parked for 8 hours , so I always covered dash with a white cloth big enough to hook under so as to not blow off . Keeps the gauges from fading also..

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Now that I think back on it, this explains the other FJ-09 where I work...the owner also covers the windshield during the day.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

14 minutes ago, GTO MIKE said:

The Honda ST 1300 had the same issue. And also had the warning of parking facing the sun. I rode to work allot in the summer so it would be parked for 8 hours , so I always covered dash with a white cloth big enough to hook under so as to not blow off . Keeps the gauges from fading also..

Good idea...  I might begin carrying a white pillow case and bungee cord to cover the windscreen.

Blue Lives Matter