FJ-Tracer Breakdown Support Network

Reading about @Clegg78's  problems dealing with a breakdown on a long-distance trip got me to thinking...

The ST 1300 forum I was part of for many years (run by @mellow ) had a network of members who were willing and available to assist other members that broke down near them.  They might provide technical help with a repair or just support like temporary lodging or garaging for the bike while plans were made for retrieval.

This was all voluntary and when you signed on you provided your location and the help you were willing to provide.  On a trip from NH to TN it was reassuring for me to know there were fellow ST owners all along the way willing to help if something went wrong.

Might we be able to set up a similar network here?

• Thumbsup 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

13 hours ago, nhchris said:

Reading about @Clegg78's  problems dealing with a breakdown on a long-distance trip got me to thinking...

The ST 1300 forum I was part of for many years (run by @mellow ) had a network of members who were willing and available to assist other members that broke down near them.  They might provide technical help with a repair or just support like temporary lodging or garaging for the bike while plans were made for retrieval.

This was all voluntary and when you signed on you provided your location and the help you were willing to provide.  On a trip from NH to TN it was reassuring for me to know there were fellow ST owners all along the way willing to help if something went wrong.

Might we be able to set up a similar network here?

This is a solid idea/start.  BTW if anyone breaks down around ABQ, NM  ... i have an awesome tow guy I can recommend  :)

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, betoney said:

But the only problem is the map shows anyone who has ever added their location, I would bet at least half of those are either long gone or very seldom check in here. 

Could @Cruizin put a 1 year expiration on each pin and a PM sent to renew (in the software, not manually)?  Or a set date expiration where all pins are removed and a sticky post to add your pin back.

10 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Could @Cruizin put a 1 year expiration on each pin and a PM sent to renew (in the software, not manually)?  Or a set date expiration where all pins are removed and a sticky post to add your pin back.

not currently an option but im looking into it. For now, just click on the pin of each peerson in that area and then see their profile and if they have posted lately. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Problem is you might want to show your location but not get  involved for whatever reasons in helping a member with a breakdown.

I think what we need to know is the following:  Where you are, the help you can provide, and how you can be reached in case of a breakdown.

WRT help provided, I think the ST gang had the following possibilities and all were voluntary: bike garaging, simple mechanical help, bike retrieval via trailer or van, local shop recommendations, overnight lodging in a pinch, etc.

@mellow has already done this and I'm sure he has lots of insight into how to set it up and how it worked for him.  It was a separate feature and section on the ST Owners site.  Users self-registered and determined what they wanted to offer. 

I believe he still moderates that site with a Tracer 900 listed as his ride!!

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I did this for the vbulletin and xenforo forum software.  But, it required custom coding, you add a few new userfields to designate you've opt'd in to the 'network' as well as contact info, phone, email, etc.. Then you have to build a custom page to display all those that have opt'd in and sort by state/city/locale.  At the end of the year you clean out the opt-in field so it returns a  blank page on 1/1.. then, let people re-opt-in.  That way the list stays active/recent and doesn't get stale.

I know nothing about this Invision software so not sure how easy something like that would be.

Even though I no longer have a BMW, I keep my membership to MOA active for 2 reasons: the rallies and their anonymous book, and the magazine is interesting, too.  The anonymous book is exactly what @nhchris is asking about.  It's printed and a phone app, which is updated lately. 

(BTW, when I went to a MOA rally last year it seemed everyone was curious about my Tracer and wanted to hear the engine!)

• Thumbsup 1

Less than a month ago I had a major breakdown 1,400 miles from home - on my BMW LOL.  I was aware of MOA but not a member and didn't have "The Book".  I'm kind of glad I didn't as I would up fixing my BMW, riding it 250 miles (further away from home) and trading it for a new Tracer GT.  I had a spectacular rear wheel bearing failure.  Bought a complete swingarm from eBay - cheaper and easier than buying the hub assemble which is the only way to replace a bearing with BMW parts.  So instead of a 17 day trip where I got marooned by bad weather in Montana for an extra week I had a 14 day trip and brought home a 2020 Tracer GT as a souvenir.  :-)    

BMW dows have a very good owners group and resources but the dealers range from very good to very bad.  

I sure understand why they all wanted to hear the sound of the Tracer :-)  I had a F800GT and it was not a good sound - someone likened it to shaking a can full of rocks.  Before the BMW I had a CBR600RR and Kawasaki ZX6R 636 so it was a real letdown.  Performance was ok but not inspiring.  Other than the engine the bike was very nice although it did have a significant heat issue with putting hot air on my inner thighs when ambient temperature was above 92F.

Edited by PhotoAl