Handgaurd extenders.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Anybody tried any.??   

s-l400.jpg

Pyramid handguard extensions have been designed specifically...

Handguard extensions work great at deflecting cold air.  I made my own last week and took a ride with temps in the low 40's F and didn't need to turn on my heated grips.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have made my own basically thin piece of plastic that uses 2 screws inside original hand guards, crucially they extend above and BELOW original guard as I find windblast freezes my thumbs!

Not pretty but I only use in the winter.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nigel5 said:

I have made my own basically thin piece of plastic that uses 2 screws inside original hand guards, crucially they extend above and BELOW original guard as I find windblast freezes my thumbs!

Not pretty but I only use in the winter.

Exactly.  Mine do the same.  I think blocking air from below might be MORE important than blocking air from over the top.

• Thumbsup 2

I bought that exact kind from pyramid plastics for my bike. Because I am 5'11 I had to angle down the controls for ergonomics so I needed that extension on the top to stop the wind from hitting my hands. They fit perfectly and look good and do the job intended. A bit pricey for some plastic but they work. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

I have a pair of the Pyramid Plastics ones in a box somewhere.  I didn't like how they mounted inside the existing guards.  They take up too much room, my knuckles were bumping into them.  How do the Givis mount?

They mount to the outside. They extend a little below the bottom of the stock handguard and have a lip across the top. 

16034958696033395461962601052155.jpg

16034959027672050010056407321669.jpg

EDIT

Another picture from the side to show wrap around and height of the Givis

1024200857_HDR~2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 10/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, betoney said:

blocking air from below might be MORE important

...so it's not just me...I thought something wasn't adjusted correctly, or maybe my hands are in the wrong position or something...

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, knyte said:

...so it's not just me...I thought something wasn't adjusted correctly, or maybe my hands are in the wrong position or something...

If you are using the stock hand guards they are about one step above worthless for blocking wind.  They are too far away from your hands and oddly shaped, they allow a lot of air to hit your hands.  After buying the bike, the hand guards lasted about a week. 👎

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, betoney said:

If you are using the stock hand guards they are about one step above worthless for blocking wind.  They are too far away from your hands and oddly shaped, they allow a lot of air to hit your hands.  After buying the bike, the hand guards lasted about a week. 👎

I added weight with the side bags and rear bag and rack. Hand guards and passenger foot pegs came off to counter the added weight. IMG_8792.thumb.JPG.78b168cc1df75772b0acfa065d401101.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, tktplz said:

I added weight with the side bags and rear bag and rack. Hand guards and passenger foot pegs came off to counter the added weight.

If I didn't need the passenger peg mounts for the Shad side bag rail, I would have removed them as well.  I like the streamlined look without them installed.

• Thumbsup 1