Good day to all,

I am writing from Greece as a new and almost happy owner of a Tracer 900 20'. Due to the longer swingarm, I find it almost impossible to power wheelie in 2nd. Has anyone of you tried any mods to help the situation? I am thinking of ecu flash, shorthen the swingarm or exchange it with an Mt-09.

Many thanks for your time.

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, Veragkos said:

Good day to all,

I am writing from Greece as a new and almost happy owner of a Tracer 900 20'. Due to the longer swingarm, I find it almost impossible to power wheelie in 2nd. Has anyone of you tried any mods to help the situation? I am thinking of ecu flash, shorthen the swingarm or exchange it with an Mt-09.

Many thanks for your time.

Welcome @Veragkos!   On the earlier FJ models, the key to power wheelies has been A mode, with TCS off.    The traction control is pretty invasive, and stops the fun as soon as the front wheel leaves the ground.    

I haven’t ridden a GT, but I believe the anti-wheeling programming is still in place.   While the longer swingarm certainly may make some difference, I suspect there’s still plenty of motor with the CP3 to offset the extra wheelbase.   

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, Veragkos said:

Due to the longer swingarm, I find it almost impossible to power wheelie in 2nd.   I am thinking of ecu flash, shorthen the swingarm or exchange it with an Mt-09.

I have nothing against wheelies but cant help but think that you might have bought the wrong bike, lots of discussion on the FZ/MT09 forum about wheelies. 

Yamaha purposely made the swingarm longer for stability and as mentioned previously, they implemented traction control (anti-wheelie) to keep the wheel on the ground.  Sure, with some effort, you could technically wheelie anything, but a relatively civilized sport touring bike is targeted to a different audience than the MT09.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, betoney said:

...but a relatively civilized sport touring bike is targeted to a different audience than the MT09

Ok, who hacked into @betoney’s account and suddenly started acting all mature and responsible?  :) 

Admit it:  You’re as much of a hooligan as they accuse me of being.   Which I respect and endorse, for whatever that’s worth...

• Haha 8

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Ok, who hacked into @betoney’s account and suddenly started acting all mature and responsible?  :) 

Admit it:  You’re as much of a hooligan as they accuse me of being.   Which I respect and endorse, for whatever that’s worth...

OK, fair enough.  Maybe I worded my reply a bit 'conservatively'... In no way did I want to come off as sounding 'responsible' . 😎  To be fair, I always ride like a hooligan but never wheelie my bike, maybe if I had an MT07 or 09...

I was out today in the sunshine (rare this time of year) and rode Spirit Lake Highway WELL above the speed limit, - perfect pavement, very light to non-existent traffic and endless sweeping curves rising over 4,000'.  Around 100 miles up and back holding a consistent 75-90 mph.   There, the hooligan and irresponsible status has been reinstated. 👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was practicing my fast starts at every stop for traffic lights yesterday (as you do) , and on my 2015 and my lightweight skinny body, A mode TCS ON and if you just let the clutch out almost normally in 1st, at about 3k revs and then when full clutch out whack that throttle open and keep it open, and you shall be rewarded with the front coming up about 1 foot off the ground, smooth as silk, and stays there for long enough to make you smile, then it gently comes back down again, smooth as silk, and then when I click up into 2nd there is a brief sort of bump as the front goes a wee bit light and the tcs says no.

Only difference from stock would be the Booster Plug, no ECU Flash.

If I switched the TCS OFF I'd be lying on my back with the bike on top of me, in 1st 2nd or possibly 3rd. (sort of like Dani Pedrosa that time in motogp practice starts, I could watch that clip all day, there is a better one somewhere where John Hopkins is just looking over at Pedrosa on the ground like 'what are you doing down there')

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Veragkos said:

Thank you my friend. A mode TC off and power wheelie in 2nd for the GT model?

Yup but like it's been said....this isn't the MT-09, that's a hooligan bike and not a good sport touring bike. ;)

Thank god for the TC modes . With this at least you can power the CP3 and hang on without worrying going on your backside. Its awful hard to resist the higher revs and generally are into them every time i ride my 2020 GT. Love it !

MIKE

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I am shocked - SHOCKED - to hear this sort of irresponsible behavior being discussed on such as staid and sober forum. Aren't you all even the least bit concerned what this is doing to your fuel economy? Shame on you.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, keithu said:

Aren't you all even the least bit concerned what this is doing to your fuel economy? Shame on you.  

Nope.  Not at all!  😎👍🏻

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that if you read the fine print at the bottom of the sales contract, it's REQUIRED to spin the speedo up to 3 digits at least once on every ride.

Or maybe not, but I'm not taking any chances and mileage be damned!  :P

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2