Yamaha Turbocharged Triple Prototype

betoney

• Supporting Member

Interesting prototype, smaller displacement turbocharged triple with cleaner emissions. 

"While the 847cc capacity matches that of the 2014-2020 MT-09, the turbo bike’s engine is quite different—with a longer stroke (73mm) and smaller bore (67.5mm) to make for a relatively low-revving, high-torque design. During tests the bike hit a power peak of 180 hp at 8,500 rpm, along with a massive 130 pound-feet of torque on tap. Around 90 percent of that maximum torque turned out to be available all the way from 3,000 rpm to 7,000 rpm, easily outmuscling the V-Max’s numbers in the process. Also impressive is that this was achieved with 30 percent lower CO2 emissions than comparable normally aspirated engines and a vast reduction in carbon monoxide, NOx and hydrocarbon emissions, all coming in well under half the levels permitted by the latest Euro 5 rules being introduced in Europe from January next year."

OUTI6J3H2JBLDEWBM2Q2JYFKY4.jpg

New patents show Yamaha exploring the limits of motorcycle engine...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Stew said:

Where does the queue start?

I think something like this could be interesting in the sport touring/ touring market.

"with a longer stroke (73mm) and smaller bore (67.5mm) to make for a relatively low-revving, high-torque design."

Respectable power output, in a comparably smaller chassis configuration without being 650-800+ lbs and 1300-1800cc like a FJR/ C14/ Goldwing.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, betoney said:

I think something like this could be interesting in the sport touring/ touring market.

"with a longer stroke (73mm) and smaller bore (67.5mm) to make for a relatively low-revving, high-torque design."

Respectable power output, in a comparably smaller chassis configuration without being 650-800+ lbs and 1300-1800cc like a FJR/ C14/ Goldwing.

Many people won't buy it as a tourer if it doesn't have shaft drive. Not me, but others. 

• Thumbsup 1

I'm glad I bought my 19 Tracer for such a screaming deal. In 4 or 5 years I'll be ready to replace and something like one of these super torque and HP motors may be well established and more affordable. When will Kawasaki realize that most people just aren't going to pay $18K for a Versys 1000 no matter how techno it is. I don't know how many H2's they sell, but it's niche. To go mainstream, and sell like the Tracer, they need it to be within reach. In the US, that's below $15K. Otherwise, you are up in the European range, and though the bikes aren't comparable in quality, the big money keeps going there. I don't know. Maybe that's just me. I just love engine technology, and this is cool stuff. But what about reliability and DIY repairs on these puppies? 

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I'm glad I bought my 19 Tracer for such a screaming deal. In 4 or 5 years I'll be ready to replace and something like one of these super torque and HP motors may be well established and more affordable. When will Kawasaki realize that most people just aren't going to pay $18K for a Versys 1000 no matter how techno it is. I don't know how many H2's they sell, but it's niche. To go mainstream, and sell like the Tracer, they need it to be within reach. In the US, that's below $15K. Otherwise, you are up in the European range, and though the bikes aren't comparable in quality, the big money keeps going there. I don't know. Maybe that's just me. I just love engine technology, and this is cool stuff. But what about reliability and DIY repairs on these puppies? 

I don't understand the target audience for the H2 models.  The Ninja 1000SX is $12,500 and offers almost every technology and convenience feature available, the H2 SX adds a supercharger and electronic suspension and the price doubles!!  @texscottyd test rode one and reported it being a fantastic bike... but worth the $25.5k asking price? 

Same with the $9,000 Z900 - the Z H2 with supercharger (no electronic suspension) doubles the price.  I would be curious to see what the sales numbers are on any of the H2 models. 

I agree the Versys 1000 price is a bit steep but what a great bike, not quite as sporty feeling as the Tracer but so smooth, comfortable and capable. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, betoney said:

I don't understand the target audience for the H2 models.  The Ninja 1000SX is $12,500 and offers almost every technology and convenience feature available, the H2 SX adds a supercharger and electronic suspension and the price doubles!!  @texscottyd test rode one and reported it being a fantastic bike... but worth the $25.5k asking price? 

Same with the $9,000 Z900 - the Z H2 with supercharger (no electronic suspension) doubles the price.  I would be curious to see what the sales numbers are on any of the H2 models. 

I agree the Versys 1000 price is a bit steep but what a great bike, not quite as sporty feeling as the Tracer but so smooth, comfortable and capable. 

I agree with all the above. I don't see the market either. I sure walk by and admire them in the shop, but would never even consider dropping that extra $ for so little gain. Especially given what it can do only puts me in jail. I test rode the Versys 1000 SE LT+ and thought it was awesome too. Soft spot for Kawi, like mama Yama, but the price was silly. Not that it isn't "worth" it, but the marginal gain from my Tracer was just not worth it. I got my Tracer 900 basic for less than $10K out the door, have added heated grips, Shad side cases, fork spring upgrades, and am in the process of adding all sorts of other upgrades, and I'll still only be out less than $12K. Can't beat that with a stick for an all around go anywhere, totally reliable, pop a wheelie and pass at speed bike. But I will happily look at Aprilia's and H2's and am glad someone buy's them just so I can admire the design and technology. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I would buy it in a heart beat!

I'm just afraid to find out what the insurance is going to cost. The tracer 900GT cost me a lot to insure, considering what it is.

He who dies with the most toys wins.