Removing wheels

joe72t

Nice video, thanks for posting.  The ABS sensor on the Tracer GT does not use the bracket like in the video but fastens directly to the fork bottom.  A good example of smart cost cutting IMO.  I always remove the ABS sensor so I don't mess it up.  When I had the rear wheel bearing failure on my BMW the wheel wobbled so much the sensor ring actually wore the tip of the ABS sensor but fortunately it was just plastic and didn't get into the sensor.  

No loctite on Yamaha caliper bolts!

Honda on the other hand DOES use patch lock on their caliper bolts. They also say to replace those bolts once removed (or use loctite on reassembly). 
Honda also uses a lower torque value and lesser quality bolt than Yamaha does. (22-24 ft lbs vs 28-31 ft lbs depending on the bike)
grease makes it nicer to remove the axle next time then anti(never) seize, which tends to not slide as easily as it passes in and out of the wheel assembly. 

Also as mentioned, there’s no need to remove the rear caliper from the bracket, you “juggle” the assembly while manipulating the wheel in/out. If you're struggling, spreading the brake pads a bit before install can make it easier.

chain tension is usually set elevated, but should be checked on the ground with rider weight compressing the rear suspension. 

hope these tips help,

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Skidood,

We must live pretty close to each other.  Both in Lockdown too.

When I first got the bike I was adamant on painting the wheels gloss black when I got to the tire change stage.  Well I am there now and I am torn as the blue wheels have kinda grown on me. 

Will think on it some more.  Nothing but time on my hands these days!

ty

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Skidood said:

This thread will come in handy if I ever get up the ambition to paint my funky blue rims black...

I LOVE the blurple colored rims on my ‘19 Tracer GT.👍🏍. I have also been wearing Hi-Viz jackets since they came out.

I'm glad to hear that...I still don't really know where I'm at with that.  I don't mind them but I do like bad-ass black...

Regarding the pic below, is this a 2018?  I dont know where I scooped this photo.

Tracer-Cover.jpg

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

I LOVE the blurple colored rims on my ‘19 Tracer GT.👍🏍. I have also been wearing Hi-Viz jackets since they came out.

Blurple and Hi-Viz... that color combination must be a sight to behold. 😲

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sooooo pulled front wheel off to get a new tire mounted.  The caliper bolts have what looks like corrosion!  It only the lower bolt on each side.  Know they were dry when put on last time.  Bike was new in September 2020 and now has 11,000 miles on it.  Replaced the front tire late last fall and dont think the bolts liked like that.  Been on some road trips and have rides thru very heavy rain but still surprised at this.

I'm leaving in 11 days for a 5,000 mile trip to Montana via Michigan.

Thoughts?

Front tire was not worn out but had some scalloping and would rather put a new one on than have a problem.

IMG_0089.jpg

I’ve seen caliper bolts like that many times and usually clean them up with #0000 steel wool or the wire wheel on my bench grinder.  I think some of the corrosion/deposits come from washing the bike with soapy water.  I re-install them clean and dry with proper torque setting.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I ordered a set of stainless steel bolts from ProBolt but would like to re-use these.  Leaving in 10 days for a 5,000 mile trip.  Going to clean these up and re-install and if stainless steel bolts arrive will swap them out.  

Seeing these makes me wonder what shape the head bearing are in.  

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Going to clean these up and re-install and if stainless steel bolts arrive will swap them out.  

Seeing these makes me wonder what shape the head bearing are in.  

This was the condition of one of the pivot bolts for the shock linkage within the first year of ownership.  I just used some steel wool to clean it up and coated it with grease.  I lube the shock linkage and swingarm every winter, the bolt has not corroded since.

I also wonder about the condition of the steering bearings, I just ordered tapered roller bearings as a replacement and will be swapping those out this fall.

image.thumb.png.9ed1147137942feed644a3c1edde60ed.png

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***