H-D Pan America

keithu

• Supporting Member
On 4/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, Zach26 said:

It's been a while since I've visited the forum since recruiting for the Air Force has kept me VERY busy (COVID has negatively affected this too, along with everything else. This might be the first year we miss our targets since 1999). Any updates on your opinions on the Pan America? I saw one in person for the first time a couple weeks ago and I must say it looks even better than in photos. What a great looking bike! 

I'm real happy with the bike and would buy a new one tomorrow if anything happened to her. My bike had the re-flash issues that have been talked about and one recall (passenger grab rails) with one more re-call to go (instrument display). I think one of the things that caused a lot of the problems with the roll out of the bike was the fact none of the dealership mechanics were trained at the factory on the new bike. Instead they did the training by computer, because of the Covid crap and the fact that the bike has a lot more technology than they were use to dealing with or their salesmen understand. Go get your self a test ride on one.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

22 hours ago, micah2074 said:

Now, they need to use that engine and it’s like in other platforms. 

They are!  It's in the Sportster S which, IMHO, is a huge disappointment - they were so close to making a really great bike, but then had to go all Harley and screw it up.  

Still, there's the 975CC version in the new Nightster, which is pretty interesting, and the leaked ID for a 975 powered Pan America (which IMHO is extremely interesting; midsized ADV bikes are much more practical than big ones).

More interesting too is that it was the 975 that was included in the prototype Bronx... God, I want them to make the Bronx :)

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
On 5/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, Wintersdark said:

More interesting too is that it was the 975 that was included in the prototype Bronx... God, I want them to make the Bronx :)

So, its a definite maybe... 🤷‍♀️

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/harley-davidson-bronx-streetfighter-production-update/

• Confused 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

So, its a definite maybe... 🤷‍♀️

That is almost comical in its non-commitment:  There’s a lot of ‘might, maybe, potentially’ in that article… 😃

At this point, my concern with HD ‘refocusing on the core customer base’ is that the Bronx becomes a half-hearted attempt to launch something that’s only a little outside of their comfort zone.   It could be THE Harley I would actually go spend my own money on, if it is truly something new (Revolutionary?) from The Motor Company.    Time will tell… 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

That is almost comical in its non-commitment:  There’s a lot of ‘might, maybe, potentially’ in that article… 😃

At this point, my concern with HD ‘refocusing on the core customer base’ is that the Bronx becomes a half-hearted attempt to launch something that’s only a little outside of their comfort zone.   It could be THE Harley I would actually go spend my own money on, if it is truly something new (Revolutionary?) from The Motor Company.    Time will tell… 

Agreed, just like the Pan America, the best thing Harley could do is release something very 'non-Harley' to get the 'anti-Harley' consumer to take notice. 

A lot of (most) the people I ride with would never consider owning a Harley but the release of the Pan America stirred up a lot of buzz and conversation amongst us with most showing curiosity and at least some interest in taking one for a test ride.

• Thumbsup 3

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

Agreed, just like the Pan America, the best thing Harley could do is release something very 'non-Harley' to get the 'anti-Harley' consumer to take notice. 

A lot of (most) the people I ride with would never consider owning a Harley but the release of the Pan America stirred up a lot of buzz and conversation amongst us with most showing curiosity and at least some interest in taking one for a test ride.

Exactly this!

And really, Harley did the Pan America thing well.  It's not a perfect bike, but it's 100% a competitor with the best in it's class, and that's frankly shocking.  

They need to stop the silly crap they do with the Sportster ("Hey, look, this is so great, but... waaaaaait, lets just turn up the Harley here a skootch, just a bit...") and just go all in, make a GREAT streetfighter/naked bike.  Make something that'll make people turn their heads and scoff at the FTR.  You know they can do it, that their engineers are very talented and absolutely able to make something both super awesome *and* very much "Harley" - just so long as they're allowed to do their jobs and are not hamstrung every step of the way.

The bulk of the people I ride with are much the same.  Pretty much every single one was in the "Hey, that's a bike I'd actually like to own!" (Usually followed by... "If they would just make the damn Bronx!")

• Like 2

• Supporting Member

I see people doing a lot of performance builds out of the Rev-Max engine. The cylinder's bolt onto the cases, making it real easy to have some bolt on fun☺️. I was told that HD made the bottom end robust, to handle the soon to come Screaming Turkey Performance parts.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

I could be interested in an HD PA 975 in a couple of years as an FJ replacement. I will always be a road rider and commuter, but there are enough dirt roads between AR and NC that I could explore for years. My problem will probably be the same as now - desirable motorcycles are getting so expensive, that I'm starting to cross shop them with Miatas (and have enough fun sliding the F150 around on dirt).

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
4 hours ago, texscottyd said:

77DD5DA0-BC43-4C3D-BF8F-ADDAC96A94BA.thumb.jpeg.52db9e80cf9b7008e95deac35498945f.jpeg

Trying to decide if I love it, or I hate it…. 

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/enthusiast.html

I like it, the paint scheme is subtle and simple, I think it needs a titanium colored slip on, the back of the bike has too much black.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member
On 5/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, Wintersdark said:

The bulk of the people I ride with are much the same.  Pretty much every single one was in the "Hey, that's a bike I'd actually like to own!" (Usually followed by... "If they would just make the damn Bronx!")

It’s been a year, the Bronx is still in suspended animation, and I surprised even myself by buying an XR1200 anti-Harley.   😀

I saw this PanAmerica-based build, and it made me want to go poke at H-D’s product strategy team yet again:  “Damn it, guys, there’s a huge market demand here you’re totally ignoring.   We don’t want a Sportster S cartoon bike.  Offer us something real…” 

Maybe someday?   I still haven’t given up hope on a Bronx and/or a legit sport-tourer from the PanAmerica platform.  Time will tell.

IMG_7512.thumb.jpeg.6bde2bfd34fe000236dc38208db8f4e8.jpeg 

• Thumbsup 1

Sorry......but HD is totally in the shitehole far as I am concerned, they could do so much more but yet continue to do mostly the same. At least Indian is thinking outside the box, however they too could also be leaning into the sport and sport touring or even perhaps ADV machine markets as well........DAMN SHAME.

• Thumbsup 1