Helmet stink

knyte

It was touched on briefly above, but rotating between two or more helmets is a huge help. I ride pretty much daily most of the year, so giving each helmet a day or so extra to air out really helps.

And yeah, helmets are indeed short-term consumables. I consider myself lucky to get three years out of a helmet.

• Thumbsup 1

• 11 months later...
  • Supporting Member

UPDATE:

Well, I sure appreciate the tips and advice.  Good to know I'm not the only one!

After several multi-day trips and a very busy riding season, and spraying the liner with Stink Free (as had been suggested), it helps a LOT. 

I tried a skull cap but found the seams irritated my forehead for some reason.  Also tried a buff now and again, that, too, helped a bit.

However - when I disassembled my helmet yesterday to wash the cheek pads & liner, it became clear that the Styrofoam itself was the real odor absorber.  Sprayed it liberally with Stink Free 2x and re-assembled.  FAR better!!

So, I guess the process going forward will be to spray after every ride, remove & wash the liner/pads at least 2x per season, and spray the Styrofoam down while the pads are out.

As someone mentioned, helmets are more or less a consumable, and I've already been eyeing up a modular (current brain bucket is an AGV K3 SV)...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, knyte said:

As someone mentioned, helmets are more or less a consumable, and I've already been eyeing up a modular (current brain bucket is an AGV K3 SV)...

Of topic but..... +1 for a modular.  Never thought I'd see myself in one a couple of years ago but won't go back now that I have one and have experienced the benefits. 👍

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've been wearing modulars (flip fronts) forever going back to the original HJC Symax, Gmax 54S, Nolan N90 (a fav) and a pair of Kabuto Ibuki.

Rotating lids, always showering bod and shampooing / conditioning my golden locks before every ride, and always wearing a Headsweat Skullcap (Coolmax with very low profile seams) with annual comfort liner cleaning with Woolite (and wash and rinse the PEPS interior after removing my earphones) does the trick for me.  I also rinse and soak my Skullcap often in hot weather, and wash them after every ride.

Pinlocks are a G-dsend, before them I used the Fog City shield  liners.

Breath guards and chin curtains can help with fogging too.  Best anti-fog spray I've found is FogTech but it's tricky to apply and can rainbow at night.

19 hours ago, knyte said:

UPDATE:

Well, I sure appreciate the tips and advice.  Good to know I'm not the only one!

After several multi-day trips and a very busy riding season, and spraying the liner with Stink Free (as had been suggested), it helps a LOT. 

I tried a skull cap but found the seams irritated my forehead for some reason.  Also tried a buff now and again, that, too, helped a bit.

However - when I disassembled my helmet yesterday to wash the cheek pads & liner, it became clear that the Styrofoam itself was the real odor absorber.  Sprayed it liberally with Stink Free 2x and re-assembled.  FAR better!!

So, I guess the process going forward will be to spray after every ride, remove & wash the liner/pads at least 2x per season, and spray the Styrofoam down while the pads are out.

Something else to consider is a helmet, boot, and/or glove dryer. I've got one made by PEET and it's just a slow, warm, heat which helps dry off gear but I found it to be helpful for deodorizing gear a bit after each ride. Can be left on safely overnight and it barely consumes any power. Plenty of other brands have come about in the more recent years... PEET also now makes a dedicated deodorizer but I'm not sure what differs (ozone generator? etc.).

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Original-2-Shoe-Electric-Dryer/dp/B001J4HQ76?ref_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-Helmet-DryPort-Attachment/dp/B001LR1YWE?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This in combination with your occasional cleaning/spraying of the inside of the helmet are bound to cut down on some of the funk.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/PEET-DOdorizr-Sanitizing-Deodorizing-Module/dp/B013UKVL2M?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It is a mini ozone generator so be wary if you believe this may be harmful with limited use in a closed environment. It's used in combination with the aforementioned PEET dryer. Seems neat... if I do find the dryer isn't working as well this year I may have to grab one.

Edited by Bernard
Updated info/links
  • Thumbsup 1

Prior to helmets having removable interior padding. I would wet down the inside padding, massage in shampoo to wash, then set in the dishwasher lower rack on the rinse cycle to clean out. You may have to remove the upper rack for it to fit. To dry set the opening in front of a fan or on the air conditioning register on the floor.

The driers mentioned above are good as well for periodic use. You will still need to wash regularly to remove the source of the funk.