Tried, and gear oil will not go on my 900 chain again

So I saw the fortnine video like everyone and decided to give gear oil a chance on my 900. I've used it for these first 3,000 miles. Made a mess of the side and center stands but worked OK around town and local rides, except that I discovered that the exhaust system on the 900 run quite close the chain, and the heat of the exhaust causes the oil to bake right off the chain! It literally smokes off. By the time you ride for a day or two, your chain is essentially dry and unprotected. 

I oiled my chain before my recent weekend trip down to the Gorge and easter Oregon. When I got to the campsite on the second day, after about 400 miles, my chain was bone dry, and had signs of rust on the pins. 

My other chain bikes I've used Honda Moly Chain Lube. Never, ever had any signs of rust or dry chain. And it doesn't make a mess or smoke off from the heat. So I am giving my chain and sprockets and bike a good clean, and switching back to Honda Moly or whatever other future spray or Motul like paste I choose, but can't see any reason to use oil again. I know people swear by it. But that's my experience. Didn't work. 

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

Yes, tried it myself for awhile but the mess on the rim and side of the bike wasn't worth it! Went back to my regular chain lube and ALL is well again.....

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Salish900 said:

So I saw the fortnine video like everyone and decided to give gear oil a chance on my 900.

28 minutes ago, fjrchuck said:

Yes, tried it myself for awhile but the mess on the rim and side of the bike wasn't worth it! Went back to my regular chain lube and ALL is well again.....

Hmmmm... While I have great respect for Ryan F9's videos and most importantly, sense of humour (us Aussies have a similar sense of humour) I did wonder about the gear oil chain lube solution.  I have a DID chain, yet to be installed, which says/recommends to use gear oil as a lubricant but I'm thinking that I'll stick with my tried and true IPONE chain lube.  It has proven to be a no mess (well minimal mess) solution for me.

In retrospect I think that (IPONE) rated reasonably well in his review as well IIRC????  .....Happy to be corrected.

It works for me.

I did find I have to apply it a little more frequently (and always after wet rides) but it's a quick and easy task with the center-stand and a good brush. There can be more spatter but to me it's a fine art to use just enough and I enjoy getting better at it.

I very much prefer it over the Motul spray I used before because

• spraying is always less pleasant than "painting" to me
  • the chain looks clean all the time
  • dirt comes off so easy (if there is any at all).
  • this absence of grit makes me think that the chain suffers a lot less abrasion and will probably last longer

400 miles is about 600 km so I agree that the chain will be dry after that. I reapply after 500 km usually.

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I drip 80w90 onto each oring and roller. Takes a couple of minuets. Done it for years and 100's of thousands of miles. No mess or hassle for me.

• Thumbsup 3

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member

I think no matter your school of thought, as long as you're maintaining it somehow you're getting the most out of it.

So if the exhaust is warming the chain up enough such that the oil won't adhere, what's that doing to the o-rings - regardless of lubrication?

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

20 minutes ago, knyte said:

So if the exhaust is warming the chain up enough such that the oil won't adhere, what's that doing to the o-rings - regardless of lubrication?

Exactly. I don't doubt that gear oil can work fine and best on many bikes. But the arrangement of the exhaust on the 900 is so close it doesn't stay as thin residue. This leaves the chain unprotected. I've never had that issue with more adhesive sprays, which though I don't know their volatility, must be higher than gear oil. The goal is to have enduring and constant chain rust and lube protection in the least messy package. First two being most important. For me, that is now something other than gear oil. Maybe a contributing factor is that I live and ride in a rainforest year round. 

• Supporting Member

What I meant to say is:  what's the heat doing to the o-rings.

If it's warm enough to melt the gear oil, what's it doing to the chain?

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I think you have to understand Fortnine's bias towards offroad riding.  Using gear oil makes a lot of sense for him because the chain needs a lot of maintenance and this make is better and easier.   The way he presented the info in his video is very helpful for us to choose what would work best for us.  I'm willing to replace my chain a year earlier as a result of using something more convenient (for me) than oil.  

BTW way, +1 for fortnine.  Nothing but respect for that guy.  Watch his videos so he can get paid and keep making them. 

• Thumbsup 2

I use gear oil. Simple, cheap, works well. I don’t get fling onto the wheel, but I do wipe off the excess after oiling.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the smell.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, BBB said:

I use gear oil. Simple, cheap, works well. I don’t get fling onto the wheel, but I do wipe off the excess after oiling.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the smell.

I do like the smell even.. or maybe that is just psychological because I don’t have to breathe in a mist of spray lubricant. 😅

• Thumbsup 1

Hi,

I use gear oil also. Anyway, for the time being....🙄

Used many spray lubricants on chains before. While most do something, the sticky residue is hard to clean up. Ever take off the front sprocket and chain guard? What a mess....

I use a rag and wipe the chain then another rag,with gear oil on it, and wipe the chain in both directions.

Seems to work well. The rear wheel does get some fling, but collects some dust on the fling and cleans easily...

See ya 

bill

• Thumbsup 1

I use and have used for years Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on my chains, dirt or street.  It dries completely and works very well.   Never gathers dust, dirt, nothing, and the chain/sprockets last.  The only issue is you have to wait until it dries, so I put it on after a ride and let it sit over night.  Give it a try it works great.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-metal-protector-amhsc/

Edited by Wallygator

• Premium Member
On 3/19/2021 at 5:57 PM, Wallygator said:

I use and have used for years Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on my chains, dirt or street.  It dries completely and works very well.   Never gathers dust, dirt, nothing, and the chain/sprockets last.  The only issue is you have to wait until it dries, so I put it on after a ride and let it sit over night.  Give it a try it works great.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-metal-protector-amhsc/

No where does it state it's safe on chain O rings and its hydrogenated base oils don't sound compatible 

I think it may be private labeled by CRC, same as their SP350 or SP400; both I've used for decades but NEVER on chains.

3 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

No where does it state it's safe on chain O rings and its hydrogenated base oils don't sound compatible 

I think it may be private labeled by CRC, same as their SP350 or SP400; both I've used for decades but NEVER on chains.

Well I have used it for years on o ring chains both dirt and street, and a friend I ride with has also. My friend just replaced his chain and sprockets on his Vstrom. Not cuz the things were worn out but because he had 26,000 miles on them.  I just made the suggestion, if you don't think it's compatible and don't feel comfortable about it, don't use it.