My NEW Tracer 900- the good the,bad and the ugly...

After watching every you tube ever made on the Tracer 900 I decided this bike was indeed the best fit for a new ride. Comfort, power, reliability, some wind protection and a nice seat. I literally thought this through all winter!  Well the deal was sealed on a new 19 MY in nimbus grey with red trim about three weeks ago.. At my age the blue rims on the 20MY are a little much.  I traded in  a small Honda 300F naked which I thoroughly enjoyed  on the roads near my cottage even with its limited power.   I was asked to bring the bike in so that its condition could be checked as the rep said the dealer had been burned in the past.  No problem- one look and they saw the pristine black paint and confirmed the 3700kms on the odometer.  I left the bike there and my wife picked me up.  After waiting a full week I asked if delivery was possible as I am frequently not able to get a ride over and thought the dealership would have a full trailer setup, wheel chock, ramps etc. My rep said he would handle this himself and I patiently waited.   At 530 yesterday he finally showed up in a Subaru sedan and a small trailer. Upon opening the door I heard a groan and looked in.  MY BRAND NEW DREAM BIKE WAS LYING ON ITS SIDE!l due to a cheap dirtbike  chock and improper tie downs.  When lifted, the bike had sustained paint scratches on left side handguard, the left side panel at front of gas tank ,the front fender,back of mirror and lower engine case. Nothing broken.  I grabbed all my detailer polishes and realized the paint had chipped off. and no buffing would help. Touch up or replace.    He was upset and said this had never happened before.  My luck!  After an ice cold beer i/we decided that a credit of $500  was necessary and I would do the touch ups on my own. Thats how it went.  After a difficult evening i went to bed and came into the garage this AM. Only 3C but could not resist a short  careful ride.  This bike is everything I though it would be. The engine is incredible!  The slipper clutch is amazing!   I cant wait to do the touchups and forget my "delivery" woes.  Thank for listening fellow riders.

• Thumbsup 7

Congrats! I have the same year and color. I've said before it is the least attractive bike I've ever owned, not ugly just meh, but darn it is the full package for around town and trips. The engine is everything, and parts are easy and cheap. Help here is reliable and friendly. Can't beat the whole ownership package. Enjoy your new ride and farkle away! 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Ugh, that first scratch is always the worst.  But, it's out of the way, and now your experience can only get better from here :)  Looking forward to some pics and adventures!

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Welcome to the Forum, and I know only too well the hollow feeling looking at your bike after a fall but rest assured the important thing is "YOU HAVE A TRACER!!!" the lots and lots of good memories to come will quickly make this one fade to insignificance.

• Thumbsup 1

Congratulations!
IMO you let him off easy. They should be insured for this, no?
A gentle push from a truck made me drop my Versys on a grassy shoulder from standstill. Reparation quote 3000€. The insurance paid and I used that money to upgrade to my Tracer instead of repairing.

2 hours ago, petshark said:

Congratulations!
IMO you let him off easy. They should be insured for this, no?
A gentle push from a truck made me drop my Versys on a grassy shoulder from standstill. Reparation quote 3000€. The insurance paid and I used that money to upgrade to my Tracer instead of repairing.

I agree, I would have told him to take it back and fit new parts.

4 hours ago, Garz747 said:

I made the assumption they would be coming in a properly set up rig owned by the dealer.  This was reps own car and trailer

What is a rep? He’s not the dealer?

Anyway, I can certainly understand your decision. After that long wait it would be gruesome to have to send it back for repairs. I hope you can use that 500$ to make it better than new. I also agree that it is a good thing that is has it’s first scar already, now you can really ride it. Enjoy!

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, petshark said:

What is a rep? He’s not the dealer?

Anyway, I can certainly understand your decision. After that long wait it would be gruesome to have to send it back for repairs. I hope you can use that 500$ to make it better than new. I also agree that it is a good thing that is has it’s first scar already, now you can really ride it. Enjoy!

I think the rep is the salesman at the dealer.