That sound

The only bike I have heard in my life that sounded close to as good as mine was the original Honda CB-X, that 6 cylinder could produce a howl.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, Rovari said:

Does anyone know where the air intake is into the air box?

Its under the front portion of the tank.  If you were looking at the top of the airbox, the intake would be at the 12 o'clock position.

XSR900 airbox removal pt.1 - YouTube

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Coming from a Hot Rod family that juiced up Mustangs and everything else my Dad touched, when my parents got their first Toyota in 1976 we swore the gas pedal was only connected to a SPEAKER! If you mashed the pedal to the floor, there was a lot of discordant noises and growling, but no discernible change in the velocity of the vehicle. 

To this day, I refer to gutless cars like the Mini having only a speaker connected to the pedal! 

Our bikes on the other hand, well, that sound is a genuine reflection of violence occurring between our legs and if you roll the wrist and don't hold on tight, you will be road grease...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rovari said:

I have the Innovv K5 camera system with an external mic, sounds pretty good now but more umph is always a treat! 

That's sweet! Just hearing that sound is exciting. 

• Thumbsup 1

The CP3 platform, even with the stock exhaust, sounds *incredibly* good when you get on the throttle.  It goes from angry bees to that awesome roar.  

But what really does it for me is the intake sound.  I've never had a bike where the intake was as audible as with this one.  

• Thumbsup 2

50 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I hate you all, my helmet is so bad that I have to use the best foamie earplugs. I don't hear crap. Still debating an exhaust or roll the dice on a new lid.

I now wear a Shoei Neotec 2 and love it, but around town I still go out without it if I'm always below 45. So I know what you mean. You lose all the finer points of the roar if you have your earplugs in. It's really something. It's not that it's loud, we aren't the HD small prick low HP jerks, but it's tone and timber, depth and vitality, are really something. 

• Premium Member
On 4/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, Salish900 said:

I now wear a Shoei Neotec 2 and love it, but around town I still go out without it if I'm always below 45. So I know what you mean. You lose all the finer points of the roar if you have your earplugs in. It's really something. It's not that it's loud, we aren't the HD small prick low HP jerks, but it's tone and timber, depth and vitality, are really something. 

And rpms.  I  have a  Wing still and have ridden 6 cylinder Wings for 25 years.   Tracer has twice the  rev limit of the Wing.  Love hearing it just rev and rev and rev.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:51 AM, Salish900 said:

Coming from a Hot Rod family that juiced up Mustangs and everything else my Dad touched, when my parents got their first Toyota in 1976 we swore the gas pedal was only connected to a SPEAKER! If you mashed the pedal to the floor, there was a lot of discordant noises and growling, but no discernible change in the velocity of the vehicle. 

To this day, I refer to gutless cars like the Mini having only a speaker connected to the pedal! 

Our bikes on the other hand, well, that sound is a genuine reflection of violence occurring between our legs and if you roll the wrist and don't hold on tight, you will be road grease...

LOL my car really does have the accelerator pedal connected to a speaker!  In January I bought a Chevy BoltEV - it was cheap and fun.  It has front and rear speakers which play a sound when the speed is below something like 20MPH.  It is for pedestrians warning, like the folks who walk thru parking lots finishing the txts they did get done while driving.

I love riding my bike but the Bolt is a totally different experience.  Very smooth and quiet and perfect for the short trips what are hard on cars.  They have huge rebates on them and I got a car that sticker for just over $44K for an out the door price of $21,322.  That is with no trade but we did use $3,400 in GM Card earnings plus $3,000 in bonus earnings.  Since then they replaced the bonus earnings with $3,000 in Costco savings.  I'm not trying to save the planet or anything but its a pretty cool and very low cost vehicle.

I love the sound of my Tracer GT, has a wonderful snarl and a great burble when just piddling along.  My last bike was a parallel twin but didnt make exciting noise.  Before that I had a few 600cc inline fours which were great but when accelerating hard they screamed which told everyone you were accelerating hard.  The CP3 still sounds exciting but doesn't attract quite the negative attention.

• Thumbsup 1