Asheville NC?

So I'll be moving to Asheville, NC in August and I'm wondering how long is the typical riding season? I don't mind riding in cold and plan in investing in some heated gear but how often is there snow on the ground? Also, besides the blue ridge parkway, how is the riding in the local area? It looks much better than where I am currently (Abilene, TX). I'm excited about the move (aside from the housing market being insane right now) and Asheville looks like a beautiful area. Thanks in advance for any info. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

While I don't live there. I have been going there for a long while. More than 20 years off and on.  

Asheville is a cool town. An interesting "hippy" vibe.  30 minutes to the west is Waynesville A much smaller slower paced place. Some of the roads to the BRP are better than the BRP 215 and 276 come to mind. There are others. Wayah Road is another. The Rattler to Hot Springs is another good choice.

I26 between Asheville and Johnson City TN is as nice as Interstates get for views. The Tail of the Dragon is 2-ish hours away IIRC.

The Cherohala Skyway is also nearby.

My experiences riding the area  are mostly from mid April through Thanksgiving. Rain can be expected anytime. Elevation is everything, Cold/cool up high, mild/moderate down low.

I was in Highlands NC (elevation 4,000ft) mid April and morning temps were high 30's to mid 40's, down in Franklin NC (elevation 2,000ft) much warmer.

Maggie Valley has "Wheels through Time" A must see.

Wayne Bush lives in Waynesville and has really good maps (road and off road) of the area.

Even bad roads there are better than most great roads here in South Florida.

Wayne's maps.

America Rides Maps

Wheels through time

Home - Wheels Through Time

Pack's Tavern for after the ride. Kinda Fire Department centric across from AFD station #1

Pack's Tavern: Downtown Asheville Restaurant for Casual Dining & Groups (packstavern.com)

Cherohala Skyway – Mile High Legend – Robbinsville North Carolin to Tellico Plains Tennessee

Congratulations and happy riding!!!!!

• Thumbsup 3

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

5 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

While I don't live there. I have been going there for a long while. More than 20 years off and on.  

Asheville is a cool town. An interesting "hippy" vibe.  30 minutes to the west is Waynesville A much smaller slower paced place. Some of the roads to the BRP are better than the BRP 215 and 276 come to mind. There are others. Wayah Road is another. The Rattler to Hot Springs is another good choice.

I26 between Asheville and Johnson City TN is as nice as Interstates get for views. The Tail of the Dragon is 2-ish hours away IIRC.

My experiences riding the area  are mostly from mid April through Thanksgiving. Rain can be expected anytime. Elevation is everything, Cold/cool up high, mild/moderate down low.

I was in Highlands NC (elevation 4,000ft) mid April and morning temps were high 30's to mid 40's, down in Franklin NC (elevation 2,000ft) much warmer.

Maggie Valley has "Wheels through Time" A must see.

Wayne Bush lives in Waynesville and has really good maps (road and off road) of the area.

Even bad roads there are better than most great roads here in South Florida.

Wayne's maps.

America Rides Maps

Wheels through time

Home - Wheels Through Time

Pack's Tavern for after the ride. Kinda Fire Department centric across from AFD station #1

Pack's Tavern: Downtown Asheville Restaurant for Casual Dining & Groups (packstavern.com)

Congratulations and happy riding!!!!!

I will definitely refer back to this post once I actually get there. I feel very fortunate that this is where I get to move to. I'm in the Air Force in school to be a recruiter and had a list of 15 places to rank from most to least desirable. This was my first choice so I guess I got lucky. I'm very excited to ride in some new places. Thanks for the info and remember to keep the shiny side up. 

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, Zach26 said:

So I'll be moving to Asheville, NC in August and I'm wondering how long is the typical riding season? I don't mind riding in cold and plan in investing in some heated gear but how often is there snow on the ground? Also, besides the blue ridge parkway, how is the riding in the local area? It looks much better than where I am currently (Abilene, TX). I'm excited about the move (aside from the housing market being insane right now) and Asheville looks like a beautiful area. Thanks in advance for any info. 

Zach26

PM me when you get moved in. I live in Fletcher NC (about 15 miles from Asheville) and I can show you around.
There are many great motorcycling roads in the area.

Doug

• Thumbsup 2

First, congrats on your upcoming to move to Ashville.  it Is beautiful country and offers lots fantastic roads for motorcycling.  You are going to love it there!!!

You will have good roads all around you, but some of my favorites are a short ride from Ashville in the western part of NC, east TN and northern Georgia.  

Some must rides are Cherohala Skyway, NC 28, Foothills Parkway, Tail of the Dragon and up the south side of Blood Mountain.  There are many others.

Hook up with some local motorcyclists and prepare to enjoy!!

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

@com3 to the white courtesy phone...

Western North Carolina is the gateway to some phenomenal riding. Riding season is decent. You're subject to spotty thunderstorms all summer long. Winters are too cold for riding, often lows are sub-freezing. I can't comment on snow though. 

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ09

4 hours ago, koth442 said:

@com3 to the white courtesy phone...

Western North Carolina is the gateway to some phenomenal riding. Riding season is decent. You're subject to spotty thunderstorms all summer long. Winters are too cold for riding, often lows are sub-freezing. I can't comment on snow though. 

Winters aren't too cold in NC for riding, surely you jest? I ride in Ohio much of the Winter, the weather down there is typically much warmer and nicer than here in Central Ohio. Where issues can/will arise is obviously at higher altitudes, but my sister has 3 houses at Norris lake in Tenn, and they spend alot of time down there in the Winter because it's so much nicer than here in Ohio. :) 

this is com3 to the white courtes phone, how can i help you?  

hehe.  i'm in mills river, about 12 miles from asheville.  the riding out here is second to only california, imo.  i've been here (from cali) for about a year now.  you can ride pretty much year round. i too don't mind the cold... you'll get days in the 40s and stuff, but not really much below that.  there'll be snow pattering the ground a couple times during the winter, but it doesn't stay longer than 2-3 days in my experience.  BRP closes jan/feb or so...  but that's not the good road for riding anyways. 

find me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joeasalas

hit me up there of you want.  i know most of the roads in the greater area...i've been venturing out towards virginia, west virginia, and kentuky lately finding more good roads. :D

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Winters aren't too cold in NC for riding, surely you jest? I ride in Ohio much of the Winter, the weather down there is typically much warmer and nicer than here in Central Ohio. Where issues can/will arise is obviously at higher altitudes, but my sister has 3 houses at Norris lake in Tenn, and they spend alot of time down there in the Winter because it's so much nicer than here in Ohio. :) 

What isn't nicer than Ohio in the winter?? haha

• Haha 1

'15 FJ09

Thanks for the info everyone. You guys are making me more excited to get there. The riding around Abilene kind of sucks. There are only 2 routes relatively close to me that are really fun but they are short. I have to travel at least 3 hours to get to any decent roads and I don't often have the time to travel that far. 

1 hour ago, Zach26 said:

Thanks for the info everyone. You guys are making me more excited to get there. The riding around Abilene kind of sucks. There are only 2 routes relatively close to me that are really fun but they are short. I have to travel at least 3 hours to get to any decent roads and I don't often have the time to travel that far. 

You'll be in the heart of most of the good shit in Asheville. 

Little Switzerland will basically be your new home, even though you'll live in Asheville. :) 

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I’m jealous of almost everyone else on here, but you blue ridge people should have your own thread so we don’t have to hear about how good it is.  😛

Brp IS NOT the cool road. It's a federally patrolled road with a 45mph speed limit. 

IIt's all the little roads that run north/south off brp. 😛

for reals though, it's great here...but I sure do miss some California roads. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, koth442 said:

What isn't nicer than Ohio in the winter?? haha

LMAO.....touché!!! We do have some pretty damn good motorcycle roads here in the Buckeye state though, some days are just better than others. :) 

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I’m jealous of almost everyone else on here, but you blue ridge people should have your own thread so we don’t have to hear about how good it is.  😛

Ain't that the truth!!  Here in Indiana and the Midwest in general, we have two types of roads...straight and straighter, lol 😄

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3