Paranoia or normal

FWIW,    A water bottle can be a useful troubleshooting tool to see if the cylinders are getting up to temp and finding vacuum leaks. 

Just poke a small hole in the the top and squirt. You need to determine if all the cylinders are getting up to temp. On a cold cylinder, the water will not  boil off like a cylinder up at temp. Of course a IR thermometer is best for this.

A vacuum leak will suck in water causing rough running and possible white smoke out the exhaust. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

After stumbling on a few other posts, I’m wondering if the smell after the ecu flash could be the APS or the TPS. I remember when the shop did my first service that the tech said he adjusted the throttle...I guess he thought it needed it.  Should he have adjusted the sensor when he did that?  Because I know he did not do that.  Could it have been that adjustment that made my throttle feel extra snatchy and thus “require” the flash in the first place?  
And exactly what can I accomplish on a 19GT without a real Yamaha diagnostic scanner?  Is it true there is no diagnostic mode on models after 2017?  

Edited by Yamajank

-typically when a tech states they adjusted the throttle, it means they increased or decreased the amount of rotation the throttle tube moves before grabbing the cable. Spec is usually 2-5mm. There’s a barrel adjuster on the cable for increasing or decreasing this freeplay.
-Adjusting the APS or TPS values is an internet hack that isn’t covered in any service manual, so I doubt that most techs are aware of it and certainly wouldn’t just do it during routine maintenance unless a customer brought it to their attention as a request. 

-sorry to say, but it is true that DIAG mode is deleted after 2016. Computer required. I’m not aware if you can access values for the APS/TPS with an OBDII reader. Maybe someone will chime in on that question. 
Bueller?

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

Well it isn't going to matter now.  All packed up and ready to send back to Ivan.  I'll get it back to stock and see if there is any smell (doubt it), and then ride it a little and see if I really need a flash.  On the upside, I'm getting really fast at getting everything apart.  15 minutes to get the ECU out.  Another 5 minutes and I could be at the TB again.  If anyone comes up with a way to do simple APS and TPS adjustments on the newer models, please let me know.  I think it would be a good thing to look into.  

• Thumbsup 1

Well, the ECU is now back to stock, and back in the moto.  I rode briefly yesterday.  The quickness is back.  The smell is gone.  It's not quite as smooth (on/off throttle), and there is more engine braking.  The vibration at 4500 and beyond is acceptable.  Getting on the gas results in more of the "thank you" attitude rather than "seriously?"  I'm glad I sent it back.  Thanks to everyone who helped, including Ivan.  I don't know where I'll go from here.  Not sure I want to try another flash.  I'll have to do some more research.  I'd still like to get a reasonable option for tweaking settings such as APS and TPS, but so far it seems like that's a $350 investment.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1