R7.... meh

andz

I just read the latest issue of Cycle News and there is a ride report on the 2022 R7.

To be honest I couldn't believe that Yamaha put an R label on a twin! It's a pretty bike but....

Someone mentioned somewhere that this is going to replace the R6 in World SSP but I don't see it.

One interesting comment in the report in Cycle News is that Yamaha now needs an R9... based on the Tracer? 

img.jpg?id=60981e862a0ab64da8e7f6ea&w=40

A new generation supersport with Yamaha's legendary styling combines an...

Edited by andz

• Premium Member

R9 based on the FZ09 could be fun. Lower front end will put more weight over it. I would think you'd want it to rev a little quicker than the Tracer. It could be a competitor to the Ducati Supersport line.  Maybe a 9/10 Ninja 1000. 

• Thumbsup 1

It's simply $$. 4 vs 2. 600's aren't a big seller anyhow these days, well full faring sports bikes aren't either as a whole.

I could have sworn I wrote this somewhere before on here.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Love the bike; hate that they hung the R7 name on it.    I was road racing during the heyday of the late 1990s, and we still speak of the original R7 in reverent tones.   

This new iteration seems like a great real-world sport bike, especially for those of us who are a bit more mature (*cough* ‘older’ *cough*), but still feel the draw of a super sport bike.   It’s probably more aligned with an SV650, or especially the new Aprilia 660 models, and I honestly hope Yamaha sells a ton of them.   

• Thumbsup 4

Concur.

If Yamaha ever tries to recycle the "TZ" moniker I foresee mass uprisings and burning effigies of Yammie executives. Which will use 2-stroke oil to get the flames going natch.

As a proud owner and survivor of an original Kawi H2 750 triple, I still get peeved that Big K chose to reuse that designation, no matter how nice the engineering of the new bike. There are LOTS of other letters left, guys! Show some originality!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PeterL said:

As a proud owner and survivor of an original Kawi H2 750 triple…

‘Survivor’ being the key word here. :D

I never figured out how my H2 could both oversteer and understeer at the same time, then add in the excitement of occasional brakes.  

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah, but I actually took mine on a 3-corners tour of the US. (Hey, I was 20 at the time!) I woulda done all four, but there was this girl in Pennsylvania...

Actually had a great time, no real issues other than a fairly amicable discussion with an Arizona trooper on my first day out regarding speed limits and the inadvisability of pissing off truckers by shattering their windows with close flybys and attendant sonic booms. No ticket though!

Ignorance truly was bliss. If I'd known a fraction of the risks I was taking with that trip, I'd have hidden under my covers until I was 30. At least.

• Thumbsup 2

The R3 is a twin, so the "R" designation matches.

With 600cc sales in the tank, and looming CARB emissions, the "new" supersport class will be ~650 - 700cc twins. Look at the MotoAmerica twins cup, it was full of MT07's last year. This year it's a bunch of RS660's. Once this R7 is homologated into MA, they'll be a popular bike in that series. If it's being raced in a pro-series championship, then it's absolutely deserving of the R branding. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that if this R7 sells well, in a few years we'll see a clean sheet R7 design that's less related to the MT07 and even more aggressive.

• Thumbsup 6

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, koth442 said:

The R3 is a twin, so the "R" designation matches.

This. 

I get the angst over the R7 name. I've owned two Yamaha 750 superbikes - '87 FZR750 and '97 YZF750 - so I'm a fan of the series. But let's be honest: Most riders today don't remember the old R7, and those who do remember it tend to forget it was rare and expensive but not really any better than the contemporary GSXR750. 

If this gets more riders interested in sportbikes again I'm all for it. 

• Thumbsup 4

On 6/8/2021 at 12:03 PM, andz said:

I just read the latest issue of Cycle News and there is a ride report on the 2022 R7.

To be honest I couldn't believe that Yamaha put an R label on a twin! It's a pretty bike but....

Someone mentioned somewhere that this is going to replace the R6 in World SSP but I don't see it.

One interesting comment in the report in Cycle News is that Yamaha now needs an R9... based on the Tracer? 

img.jpg?id=60981e862a0ab64da8e7f6ea&w=40

A new generation supersport with Yamaha's legendary styling combines an...

R9 based on the MT09, not the Tracer.  The difference of course is the frame - the MT09 has a separate frame now, and is lighter and lower.  But yeah, a CP3 based R9.

In all honesty, I'm all for the R7.  I'm not really a fan of sport bikes (I'm too old and broken, my back just doesn't deal with that posture) but it's a much more practical engine for a mid-class sport bike intended for street use.  600-class I4's are shitty in a lot of street circumstances, and only come into their own at points that aren't actually practical on the street at all - that is, super high speed.  

The MT07 is very much a perfect street bike, so adapting it to sport bike styling and form is a natural thing to do. 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

20 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Love the bike; hate that they hung the R7 name on it.    I was road racing during the heyday of the late 1990s, and we still speak of the original R7 in reverent tones.  

The dealer where I bought my Tracer had one of only 3 R7s in South Africa at the time, they had it suspended from the ceiling so that nobody could fiddle with it!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

I think it is a genius move by Yamaha.  It will make a great street bike for the younger crowd.  Sure it can't touch and R6 on the track, but it looks like it can, and it has a decent size motor.  The price point is the key, it is significantly cheaper than and R6. It is obviously aimed directly at the ninja 650, which I'm guessing sells well.  And naming it an R matches Kawi naming theirs a Ninja.  

• Thumbsup 2