What Ear Plugs do you use?

Heli ATP

I've been using Radian moldable ear protection for about ten years now.  They are like epoxy where you mix the two components together and insert in your ear, they set and retain their shape.  Easy to use easy to clean and cost only $20 or so and comes in different colors.

For the last couple of years I've been using wax/silcone plugs. I use them for motorcycling, snowmobiling, and swimming.

They are not as effective as more traditional in-ear plugs, but do cut down on wind noise significantly. 

The upside is they are super comfortable and you're not fighting with them taking your helmet on and off. I also swim laps a lot, so they can pull double duty for that activity.

450.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior

• Supporting Member
On 2/19/2024 at 5:23 AM, piotrek said:

In the excitement of the motorcycle show... I got myself fitted for molded ear plugs yesterday. I opted for the non-filtered type for simplicity's sake. Foam plugs worked well enough for much of the time, but not so in hot temperatures (difficult for me to insert). Hope to still be able to hear my communicator. 😬

Please let us know your impressions when you've had a chance to put them through their paces.  Noise reduction, comfort - short and long term, can you still have a conversation or hear audio from your helmet speakers (if you have them?), etc

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
On 2/18/2024 at 2:39 PM, betoney said:

My brother did the exact same thing many years ago at a motorcycle show.  They are the only set of hearing protection he uses and they have never failed or worn out.

I can see why. I've worn these now for several half day rides, and I am happy with them. About the same wind and engine/exhaust noise attenuation (maybe a bit better for speech) as the 3M 1100 plugs, but without the pressure of expanding foam and the resultant fatigue. They lock into the ears easily and stay in place. I probably overpaid, but I'll just let that slide and enjoy the comfort. My kid talked me into getting these... I owe her lunch. 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 hour ago, ItsTracerTime said:

Tasco Tri-Grip.

Pull the cord out of them, trim about 1/8" off the stem with a knife so it fits in the helmet better and enjoy a nice 27NRR that you can barely feel

Those foam or rubber?

On 4/7/2024 at 8:32 PM, kilo3 said:

Those foam or rubber?

Rubber, maybe silicone? I bought 10 pairs from Northern Safety that took FOREVER to ship, but they're still $1.25 a pair or so. https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/94449/40770/tasco-tri-grip-reusable-earplugs

They do start out a little stiff, even with the cord out, but they quickly soften up after wearing them on a ride. I can tell the difference in a new pair but it's not an issue at all. I get more discomfort from the bottom of my ear being pressed against my head from my cheek pad. :D

Edit: be sure you do wash them occasionally, or you'll end up being unable to grab and pull them out of your ear unassisted. Not that I figured that out on my own. A paper napkin helps add friction while you grab if you're sweaty though, or so I've heard.

Edited by ItsTracerTime