20 day review.

I've had my 2018 900 GT since the end of June, and have done about 400-500 miles (2065 miles when i got it, second owner). All to and from work along English country roads (lots of nice twisty bits!).

Really enjoying the bike so far!

Got the bike pretty standard with dealer extras:

• Akrapovic full system
  • Right side engine cover
  • Engine lower crash protection (removed to fit Givi bars)
  • LED indicators/running lights
  • Radiator guard

Added over the last couple weeks:

• R&G front spindle sliders
  • R&G rear spindle sliders & adjusters
  • R&G Passenger footrest blanking plates
  • R&G bar ends
  • R&G tank grips
  • R&G side stand foot
  • Highsider mirrors
  • Puig beak
  • Givi crash bars
  • Givi passenger seat luggage mount
  • Michelin Road 5 tyres
  • Pyramid fender extenders front and rear
  • Datatool alarm upgrade

To-do:

• Make Givi sump guard work with non-standard exhaust (front right bracket need bending)
  • Fit headlight protectors
  • Fit screen (Puig shorty)
  • Replace disc and sprocket nuts/bolts with stainless and titanium
  • Fit rear sliders
  • Fit MT09 over-wheel guard
  • Fit EvoTech levers
  • Fit small tail tidy to blank off stock, and mount rear indicators and reflector
  • Fit R&G tail tidy to over-wheel mount
  • Replace a whole lot of fixing with stainless

Good things:

• Suspension - Great out-of-the-box - But will be getting it professionally set up for me and my usage.
  • Throttle response - Never been a fan of fly-by-wire, but was pleasantly surprised
  • Build quality
  • Do i even need to mention the engine?
  • Leg room - Foot position felt very odd initially, but happy with it now.
  • Fuel economy - I'm still struggling to believe it.

Bad things:

• Fuel gauge - Full, full, full, half...no quarter, no! fill me now!
  • Stock screen
  • Seat angle - Just need to do the slope mod
  • Mode button - I would much rather have the pass light there.
  • Standard tyres - The D222s are utter trash
  • Low-quality chain/sprocket/ring - Already weathered badly.
  • Stock mirrors - Cheap crap
  • Thumbsup 8

Estimated range would have been nice.  And me being me; I'd love to be able to customise the screen a whole lot more, but i highly doubt it'd be possible in any reasonable way.

Also not much of a fan of the screen adjustment. Not enough to be meaningful, and just up/down? No tilt back/forwards? For the amount of stuff the screen has behind it, Yamaha could have easily fit a tonne of bits to make it work.

Would also love one of those SW Motech passenger seat racks (the full conversion ones, not the shitty rack which mounts over it) Sadly they don't seem to do one for the '18 900 GT

Gripes aside; I really am very impressed by the bike. Just gotta figure out why there's a flat spot at about 5-6000 revs (in std mode, need to try it with A mode)

• Thumbsup 1

Know what you mean about the fuel gauge.  Had a BMW F800GT before the Tracer GT and it's gas gauge was pretty much the same.  Since I do a lot of long rides have become accustomed to noting the miles traveled when it goes to half.  That gives me a pretty good indication of how far I can go.  Cannot assume that I will get twice that many miles but is a good indication of if I'm in a higher or lower fuel consumption mode.  LOL I've hit the mode button a time or two trying to do flash to pass!  

Ive said it before but everything you mentioned as not so good can be lived with or fixed.  The engine is something they got right and something that cannot be fixed easily - other than perhaps some flats spots etc.  I love they way it does not throw a lot of heat off onto the rider.  Last trip rode across Kansas in 105F temperature, the F800GT would have absolutely cooked me.  At speed it put a steady blast of hot air in the inside of my thighs.

• Thumbsup 1

Turns out to mostly be a side-effect of B & Std modes. A mode is better, but a bit spicy for the daily commute.

There's a lot more positives about the bike than negatives, and anything important is fixable to some degree. I can live with the fuel gauge, the engine characteristics (non issue really), and i can easily adjust the seat, get a small screen, and adapt the fittings to make the givi sump guard work with the akrapovic exhaust.

Tomorrow is levers, headlight guards round 2, shiny bolts, attempting the sump guard bracket, fitting rear sliders, raising the tank and the seat.

• Thumbsup 1

The fuel gauge behavior is due to the shape of the tank.  My other bike does the same thing.......you get used to it.  

There were many complaints about the stock chain shedding o-rings prematurely.  It seems Yamaha got a bad batch of chains from their supplier and some were replaced under warranty.  I don't like letting anyone else mess with my bike so at 7000 miles I put on a new chain and sprokets.

Fuel gauge.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I'm at 11,000 miles on my 2020 GT and noticed the a couple of mildly stiff links when I lubed it the morning of the last day on my trip.  I didn't do a good job keeping up with lube on the trip (5,000 miles) but chain is still good.  I'm contemplating a longer trip in August September and have a list of things to do to the bike.  

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 5:38 AM, GeeAndTea said:

I've had my 2018 900 GT since the end of June, and have done about 400-500 miles (2065 miles when i got it, second owner). All to and from work along English country roads (lots of nice twisty bits!).

Really enjoying the bike so far!

Got the bike pretty standard with dealer extras:

• Akrapovic full system
  • Right side engine cover
  • Engine lower crash protection (removed to fit Givi bars)
  • LED indicators/running lights
  • Radiator guard

Added over the last couple weeks:

• R&G front spindle sliders
  • R&G rear spindle sliders & adjusters
  • R&G Passenger footrest blanking plates
  • R&G bar ends
  • R&G tank grips
  • R&G side stand foot
  • Highsider mirrors
  • Puig beak
  • Givi crash bars
  • Givi passenger seat luggage mount
  • Michelin Road 5 tyres
  • Pyramid fender extenders front and rear
  • Datatool alarm upgrade

To-do:

• Make Givi sump guard work with non-standard exhaust (front right bracket need bending)
  • Fit headlight protectors
  • Fit screen (Puig shorty)
  • Replace disc and sprocket nuts/bolts with stainless and titanium
  • Fit rear sliders
  • Fit MT09 over-wheel guard
  • Fit EvoTech levers
  • Fit small tail tidy to blank off stock, and mount rear indicators and reflector
  • Fit R&G tail tidy to over-wheel mount
  • Replace a whole lot of fixing with stainless

Good things:

• Suspension - Great out-of-the-box - But will be getting it professionally set up for me and my usage.
  • Throttle response - Never been a fan of fly-by-wire, but was pleasantly surprised
  • Build quality
  • Do i even need to mention the engine?
  • Leg room - Foot position felt very odd initially, but happy with it now.
  • Fuel economy - I'm still struggling to believe it.

Bad things:

• Fuel gauge - Full, full, full, half...no quarter, no! fill me now!
  • Stock screen
  • Seat angle - Just need to do the slope mod
  • Mode button - I would much rather have the pass light there.
  • Standard tyres - The D222s are utter trash
  • Low-quality chain/sprocket/ring - Already weathered badly.
  • Stock mirrors - Cheap crap

howdy,,,is there such a thing as slope mod?, always sliding forward on 2020 gt I cut the bumpers a bit but didn't help enough

Bill

I don't understand the complaints about the stock mirrors, once you know how to adjust/tighten them properly, I find them to easily be the best OEM mirrors I've ever owned.