Time for winter gas again

• Premium Member

About this time every year all three of my vehicles (moto, hybrid car, pickup) drop in gas mileage. Today it was the FJ's turn. Gas mileage suddenly 5+ mpg lower. It will sometimes drop into the high 30s cruising on the highway. Scared me the first time I noticed it. 

• Premium Member

I wondered what happened my last couple of rides!

E0 91 proof but still down 3~5 mph?

I thought it was my right wrist and / or using Techron small engine treatment (the new stuff for power sports gas treatment for Ethanol and fuel system cleaning), versus the usual Techron Concentrate or Stabil Marine...

Snow is forecast for this weekend after 3 64~67 days, even if it's a trace amount it's depressing!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, keithu said:

Can someone explain how the winter gas is different? My fuel economy has dropped a bit recently too.

In addition to a 'winter fuel blend', air density and cold temperature play a big part in reduced fuel economy in winter.  Last weekend I burned through a tank of fuel with ambient temps in the mid 40's, since the pavement was cold and slightly damp I was very easy on the throttle input and only averaged a calculated 39mpg.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078126_getting-better-gas-mileage-in-warm-weather-heres-why

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I switch to “Mo” gas this time of the year.  Ethanol free.  Buy it at local airport.

I will still see a mileage reduction due to colder temps with bike temp running around 160 degrees.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

My car still gets about the same mileage as long as I don't turn on the heat 🙂  Its a Bolt EV!  

Have done several long trips in the last 3 years and am always amazed at how much my gas mileage on my bikes varies.  Gas differences between E0 and E10, elevation, location and roads all contribute to mileage variations.  I'll see MPG from 60+ when running E0 in higher elevations and at lower speeds, back closer to home on the interstate will see 42 to 45 MPG.  Think not only is there a summer/winter difference but also a location difference in the summer blends.  Don't go out of my way for E0 but if nearby will defiantly fill up with it.  Since the 70's I've always had a car that got good gas mileage and as a result don't pay a lot of attention to gas prices.  In 1977 was driving a Fiat 850 Spider then had a 1978 Ford Fiesta.  I remember filling up the Fiat to the tune of $4.79 a gallon thanks to Jimmy Carter.  Also remember car loans at 13% 

• Premium Member

Between bundling up and enduring the cold (even with electric apparel, sock heat packs, and heated grips, Pinlock face shields and now grip muffs again), to realize a 4~5 mpg drop in mileage is as depressing as the need to add fuel stabilizer and fill up at the end of each ride because it may be the last for the season.

I work this morning while it rains but hope to get out in the balmy 50 F forecast for this afternoon.