Oxygen cannula?

griskins

Not so much a gear review as a gear question. I am recently on supplemental oxygen. I tried to put on my full face helmet today (the only kind I'll use) and it pulled off my oxygen cannula every time. Anyone got a solution for this? Has anyone tried wearing a cannula under a modular helmet?

• Sad 1

different types of nasal cannulas out there. Do you wear the cannula with tube going over your ears and gather in front at your adams apple?  Some cannulas have bigger ports (ie the prongs that go into the nose). and also if you're using an oxygen concentrator it might be tough.  If your helmet has removeable cheekpieces you could try that.

It's kind of like with wearing glasses, and you may have to reposition the nasal prongs once you have the helmet in place. I've never done this, but I'm a nurse and so I'm familiar with the equipment.

• Thumbsup 1

Yes, I use a cannula that goes over the ears and gathers at the throat. Apparently the neck pads on the helmet peel down my ears and do the same with the cannula. The ears spring back, but not the cannula. I cannot reposition it after the helmet is on- no room to get my fingers in back of my ears.

• Supporting Member

I would find a Cycle Gear or some other big ridding gear store near you that has a large collection of helmets. Go and try a bunch of modular helmets on with your cannula. I have seen more than one rider using them with modular helmets. 

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

11 minutes ago, griskins said:

Yes, I use a cannula that goes over the ears and gathers at the throat. Apparently the neck pads on the helmet peel down my ears and do the same with the cannula. The ears spring back, but not the cannula. I cannot reposition it after the helmet is on- no room to get my fingers in back of my ears.

the other option would be to consider a flip up helmet like schuberth or similar. .

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I would find a Cycle Gear or some other big ridding gear store near you that has a large collection of helmets. Go and try a bunch of modular helmets on with your cannula.

That was my suggestion as well, try on a modular helmet. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, betoney said:

That was my suggestion as well, try on a modular helmet. 

This ☝️

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

You can also try wearing a beenie that goes over your ears under your helmet. 

This is what I use to hold my ear buds in.

Under Armour Men's UA Original Skull Wrap Black 4-Way Stretch Dry Fast Cap OSFA 888376033217 | eBay

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

I would find a Cycle Gear or some other big ridding gear store near you that has a large collection of helmets. Go and try a bunch of modular helmets on with your cannula. I have seen more than one rider using them with modular helmets. 

Thanks. You are the third recommendation for them. My wife recommended that I just use surgical tape to tape the cannula to my face. It worked pretty well, but taking it off after the ride was like pulling off that hair removal goo. But at least I got to ride, and that was really heartening in an otherwise bleak time in my life. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, griskins said:

Before I go and buy one, it has to be sheer as heck to fit. Are they?

That particular one is very thin. The band is slightly thicker, but not by much.  They are designed to be under football (American) helmets.

Cycle Gear sells beanies that are meant to wear under helmets, either for summer or winter.  That is your best bet.  I'm a glasses wearer and even my Nolan modular helmet occasionally knocks off my glasses.  Don't sacrifice a proper fit.

• Premium Member

I always have been partial to the Headsweats Skull Caps which are Coolmax and uniformly very thin without a headband.  They make a non tying short tail fake do rag with a synthetic Terry cloth headband too but it's thicker and can cause hot spots in a MC helmet.

I always wear one to keep my helmet cleaner longer, and for sweat control in hot weather.  I soak them in cold water often.  They do help hold my eyeglass temples in place in my modular.  I only wear a full face occasionally.  In cold weather a balaclava may be even better for you, and possibly even a very thin one in hot weather.

Good luck!

• Thumbsup 1