Tracer 9 GT test ride & comparison to 900 GT

petshark

I still can't get past the thought of an alien insect trying to burst out of it's motorbike host. IMO It isn't a particularly good looking bike, would it put me off buying one?? NO CHANCE of that!! bikes are about the riding experience and how it makes you feel, I didn't think the first generation Tracer 900 was good looking but the test ride was enough for me and decision made to buy before I was finished. (come to think of it that might be why I passed on the test ride for the new 9)

tracer 9 alien escape.png

• Thumbsup 2

13 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

(come to think of it that might be why I passed on the test ride for the new 9)

That's why i don't test drive cars i can't afford lol, i'd end up in it someway or another.

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, Grumpy Goat said:

Thanks for the reply. My concern is not about the hardness / softness or even the width, but in the fore-aft slope of the seat which causes the rider to "roll forward" into the tank, causing discomfort in other parts of the lower region.

A solution was created by another member on this forum, and this works well, all things considered. However, from my inspection on the showroom floor it seems that the 21+ Tracer 9 GT has even more curvature to the seat pan which exacerbates this "rolling forward" tendency. Your comment on the comfort seat is noted and I may have to get one of those since it seems flatter, although from what I have read it also makes the seat a little taller and I have a 30" inseam and am 5'-8".

Great list of test ride impressions, by the way. Thanks for taking the time to share.

I have heard many negatives about the seat.  I bought the 21 and the seat definitely had a break in period of about 500 miles and has softened.  Also, I think riders with bigger rears may find it more uncomfortable.  It seems to have a small butt area.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, daboo said:

Really?!

image.png.a6a4b217ac330def54590083c7918879.png

image.png.146f907344e4d1dfb898208070f2ecb3.png

You have to be kidding me!  After seeing the 9GT, this old FZ1 is welcome relief to my brain!  What strange road has Yamaha gone down??  (and all of the other Japanese manufacturers for that matter!)  

Edited by Jayzonk

8 hours ago, Holderfjr said:

I have heard many negatives about the seat.  I bought the 21 and the seat definitely had a break in period of about 500 miles and has softened.  Also, I think riders with bigger rears may find it more uncomfortable.  It seems to have a small butt area.

The dealer said the seat would probably have to go even before I sat on it before the test ride. :) I guess that he's had multiple complaints. To me the butt area feels and looks wider than the comfort seat on my 900 GT while the front of the seat is narrower. I could be wrong though because it's just an impression, I didn't really pay much attention to it but after just one hour of riding I had no complaints. 

4 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

You have to be kidding me!  After seeing the 9GT, this old FZ1 is welcome relief to my brain!  What strange road has Yamaha gone down??  (and all of the other Japanese manufacturers for that matter!)  

I get that the old headlamp style is "old" tech and they are phasing it out so I actually prefer the angry robot look of the MT10 to the undecided-in-between look of the T9 with the double headlights. 

image.thumb.png.2e3a331449c0973d745846b073444619.png

Love it or hate it... It is a no-compromise design choice.

13 hours ago, Holderfjr said:

Curvature and slope are my issues. I added a Cool Covers seat cover in addition to the Seat Slope mod from Clegg and now it is almost perfect on my 2019 900 GT. Video is on my YT channel of that last mod. The '21 9GT appears to be even more curved. 😒

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I added a Cool Covers seat cover in addition to the Seat Slope mod from Clegg

I have heard of the Cool Covers before, how do you like it? does it make a noticeable difference?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 12/28/2021 at 1:48 PM, kilo3 said:

"That T9 is a beauty"

image.png.aefb997de00956f6fcccd86c5d1bb90f.png

yep, I agrees. Don't find any of the dressed Tracers particulalry attractive; now an FZ-09 or MT-09, yeah those are decent looking bikes. I don't buy a bike to look at, however....

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Holderfjr said:

Corbin Seats solve the seat problem, Can't find another engine like the Tracer.......

7 hours ago, betoney said:

I have heard of the Cool Covers before, how do you like it? does it make a noticeable difference?

Let's put it this way - I would not have a bike without it anymore. It makes a huge difference in comfort and also in ventilation, especially in the case of the Tracer. It is all in a couple of vids on my channel.

• Thanks 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

On 12/30/2021 at 5:01 AM, petshark said:

I get that the old headlamp style is "old" tech and they are phasing it out so I actually prefer the angry robot look of the MT10 to the undecided-in-between look of the T9 with the double headlights. 

Yes, really deliberate Transformer robot look.  But why??  It's such a departure from everything else they do.  I can't make myself like it, no matter how hard I try.  Makes me wonder if Yamaha had some secret marketing information about the type of person who rides a naked four cylinder litre bike!!  Like they concurrently watched sci-fi movies?  Hmmm

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

I much prefer the looks of the 19/20 over the 21/22. 

Yup me too, and my 20 as been 100% trouble and gremlin free unlike the 21/22.

• Supporting Member
On 12/30/2021 at 5:01 AM, petshark said:

Every damn time I see that bike:

NES-ROB.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1