• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rider Safety tips

• Supporting Member

When I ride I got used to putting my phone on my person, usually in my outer jacket pocket. My thinking was that if I got separated from the bike I would have the phone near by for calls, and if necessary it could be used to track me. Today I realized I always have a screen lock on the phone which would make it more difficult to use if I was beat up. So from now on I will deactivate the screen lock when riding and I have added an ICE (in Case of Emergency) contact to my address book. Sometimes its the obvious things that we miss.

Anyone other riding safety tips for the group?

• Like 2

I do a lot of long trips in and often wind up in remote areas.  I also keep my iPhone in my jacket with the screen turned inward to protect it.  iPhone has an emergency medical info screen which first responders should be aware of.  I put my medical info in it along with the list of meds I take just in case they are needed.  It is the Emergency SOS in Settings.  Not as easy to get to to make changes as it used to be but a great place for info for first responders.  I use it to keep a list of my meds that doctors ask for at every visit.  I have a replacement heart valve so it's important to let folks know that.  Have to be careful about chest MRIs.  

Also have a SPOT and a Garmin InReach Mini.  Like the InReach Mini better but keep forgetting to cancel auto pay on SPOT so have both.  SPOT is nice as I can sent my wife an I'm OK message with the press of a button.  Can do similar with Garmin but more difficult.  I keep SPOT on top of tank bag and InReach mini in my pocket.  Can send txt from my iPhone via InReach mini which is a cool feature if just out of cell phone range or if in trouble could be a life saving feature.

Always keep a bottle of water or more on the bike.  One in tank bag and one in top case.  Today rode to Chattanooga and back which is 2 hours one way and realized that I had nothing to drink!  LOL actually went about 6 hours without only liquids but was pushing to get home without riding too much in the dark.  I have actually been stopped in traffic at a standstill for over an hour on that road sunny and warm that day.  After that always had some water with me.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

First responders ARE NOT going to mess with your phone!  They may not even find it, or it may be broken, so don't count on it in an emergency!

Browse the interweb and find some "Emergency Medical Info" form (I like THIS ONE), print several up, fill out and keep on your person, stash one in your tank bag, jacket pocket, etc.  Laser printing is preferred over inkjet, as it won't run if it gets wet. Laminate or put in a baggie to keep it dry.  Should list emergency contacts, blood type, allergies, etc. 

A small pill holder, like below, can hold a copy.  Easily attached to a zipper pull on you jacket.  Use a sharpie and write EMERGENCY INFO on it.

Wrist band or dog tags are other options.

Keep a small First Aid kit on your bike.  Band-aids, antiseptic ointment, and a large sterile gauze pad at the least.

If riding in a group, swap info with other riders.  Nothing like being at an accident scene with a fellow rider down and you don't know their last name, spouse's name, etc.

Spot tracker is great! Using the tracking mode updates about every 10 min so others (wife!) can locate you if needed, and the SOS emergency function does work!  Had a rider crash while I was leading a group ride, no cell service, pressed the SOS button and EMTs came!  Great "Peace of mind", and you can use the tracks after your ride to see your route.

Check out some videos on First Aid tips for motorcyclists, like this: 

pillholder.JPG

Edited by sirepair
Added link to form
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

For years I've adhered to the chin bars if each of my helmets info printed on peel n stick DYMO embossing label tape including my blood type, "no allergies", and a contact number.  I also have a label instructing how to open the latch to my modular helmet chin bars.

I use a dog tag type med info tag on my pocket key ring and a thumb flash drive in my 1st Aid kit in my top case readily visible. 

Rubba side down mates!!!

Screenshot_20211215-094644_Google.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, sirepair said:

First responders ARE NOT going to mess with your phone!  They may not even find it, or it may be broken, so don't count on it in an emergency!

Yes we will but not right away. Definitely could be broken, tho. You're right there.  

16 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Today I realized I always have a screen lock on the phone which would make it more difficult to use

I have a setting in my phone to stay unlocked if it's Bluetoothed to my Sena or on my home network. Mainly for convenience, but if the phone is within 25-ish feet of my helmet, I can make a voice activated phone call. 

Besides phone and SPOT, I have a RoadID (www.roadid.com) on a chain around my neck with my wife's and mom's phone #, blood type (not a big deal - they'll give you O- in an emergency) and allergies. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

The Garmin Zumo XT has a crash detection function that alerts a preselected number of the suspected incident's location...

I've heard that it's too sensitive and takes over a 3rd of the screen till you burrow down the menu to reset it.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

After taking basic first aid, we keep a separate kit in every vehicle we own.  Bikes included!  ...partly inspired by DanDanTheFireman.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Have to say I've not been paying enough attention to this. I have my first aid kit on the bike... but none of the stuff that the first responders would really want to know quickly to help save my butt. Need to sort this out.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Yeah, I really need to carry a proper first aid kit.  Usually, I've got a ziplock bag with rolls of gauze, a couple pads, and tape - which is really adequate for "plz don't bleed out" but that's really about it - can make bandages and tourniquets, splits if there's branches about.  

Like @1moreroadmy phone is unlocked when connected to my Sena, so I can make a call so long as it's within bluetooth range (which is actually extremely long).  There's also an emergency mode activated by clicking the power button repeatedly that sends audio and video to a preset contact as well as location information.  This is great for if I'm riding on my own, but obviously is only useful if the phone survives the crash (probable) and am within cell coverage (on my Tracer, probable, on my Tenere who the heck knows).  

Surviving a crash, though, with a good, sturdy protective case?  If I survive the crash, the phone almost certainly will.  My old Samsung S8+ went off my MT07 at 180kph on a freeway, and still worked.  It's body was completely broken, the screen was only half visible, and the camera physically gone, but it still worked.  Given your phone will still typically work with a totally broken screen, there's pretty good odds it'll survive a crash, even if it's on a handlebar mount.  May be hard to find though.  I wouldn't want to rely on it 100%, as particularly on a handlebar mount it could end up anywhere in a crash, way out of reach, particularly not for relaying critical information to first responders.

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, Heli ATP said:

When I ride I got used to putting my phone on my person, usually in my outer jacket pocket. My thinking was that if I got separated from the bike I would have the phone near by for calls, and if necessary it could be used to track me. Today I realized I always have a screen lock on the phone which would make it more difficult to use if I was beat up. So from now on I will deactivate the screen lock when riding and I have added an ICE (in Case of Emergency) contact to my address book. Sometimes its the obvious things that we miss.

Anyone other riding safety tips for the group?

For 10 yrs or so I mounted a small emergency info card holder on all of my helmets. Keeps the info dry and hasn't come off ever. I also laminate my med info, which I update yearly, and place 1 each under my helmet liner, in my wallet, and jacket pocket. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

I was thinking in terms of road related stuff, but the medical info is good.

I ran over one of those white arrows on the road the other day as I approached a turn.  They are tape, so they are thick as well as being slick.  The rear wheel jumped over an inch or so.  Nothing scary, just a reminder that it is December, not June.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

A lot of great advice here. I think I’m going to have my personal info, emergency contacts, blood type etc printed on a laminated business card with some velcro on the back to stick to my helmet. That way I can move it from helmet to helmet. May also make some up for regular passengers as they share one of my spare helmets.

• Like 1