• Supporting Member

That's awesome.  Not quite a barn find, but almost as good.

You could always tune up the BMW and sell it for a profit...

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

3 hours ago, knyte said:

That's awesome.  Not quite a barn find, but almost as good.

You could always tune up the BMW and sell it for a profit...

+1, take it on the trip and then flip it for double what you paid. Or sell the FJ and then buy an MT09/XSR900! 

• Thumbsup 2

Haha! I too have "accidentally" bought a motorcycle.

Years ago, I looked at a Husky SM610. When I got there, it was in rough shape. The owner was a very nice guy and simply didn't know what he had nor what to do with it. He asked, "knowing what you know, how much would you give me?" I said $1500. He countered at $2k, I walked because I was moving out of state in about 6 months and really didn't need another bike to take.

A few days later he calls me up and says, "$1500 this afternoon, I'll drop it off."

For reference, at that time a well sorted SM610 was $4 - 5k.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

Technically I have 3 bikes. a 2009 HD XR1200 a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and a 2010  Honda VFR1200F

I sold my XR to my oldest son for $1 with the stipulation that while I'm alive he has to sell it back to me for $1.

With the XR in Murfreesboro TN. When my son flew in to visit (5-6 times a year) I would rent a bike from EagleRider. When all was said and done that's almost $1,000 for a long weekend.

For that kind of money I could buy a used bike, which I did. The VFR. 

My point (finally) Is if you have paid for them. Other than insurance and some maintenance. They're not costing you much. Enjoy them both. Life is short.... Just sayin. 

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I can relate. I'm even worse. I have no reason, can't really pay for another bike, but I'm SO suffering from cabin fever Im on Craigslist, BAT, Ebay, etc. looking at bikes constantly. I'm adicted. People are asking crazy prices for everything but not really getting it.

Congrats on the Beemer!

• Thumbsup 1

15 hours ago, YamaGeezer said:

My wife will not ride with me so I can't make her understand the need for a more comfortable long-trip bike

It's a scientific fact and Mathmatical certainty or so I have explained to others (wife included) that once you have more than 1 bike then the perfect number of motorbikes in a colection is N+1 where N is the number of motorbikes currently owned. 

So, to prove the principal for the rest of us that want a collection, what you got your eye on for the next bike in your collection.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

I keep coming back to three bikes as my ideal number. I've had one, two, and four running bikes in the stable, but three seems to be the magic number for me. I'm also more comfortable when they have differing missions, so the choice of which to ride is a little easier.

My last few bikes, including the FJ-09, have come from ads that have languished on ADVrider.com for months. The owners slowly lowered the prices until I just had to strike. 

Buying the in the off-season also seems to work for me, too. I bought my FJ-09 in early February, my KLR650 on New Year's Eve, and my V-Strom from a guy in Michigan in mid-October (he had a property tax bill coming up...) I sold the V-Strom last April, and got a pretty good price for it. IIRC, I bought my GS850G in March, and rode it home amid snow on the ground.

• Thumbsup 2

Well...Technically, I also have an 81 Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper. So I do have 2.  my record was 5, all running a few years ago.

Been working on the Hopper this winter. Now 60cc, High comp. head, higher shaft gears, etc. Trying for 45-50 mph. This thing weighs 95 lbs BTW.

• Thumbsup 2