Drain Bolt O Ring - Non OEM Source?

Anybody have an alternative source for the compression O ring on the FJ oil drain bolt?

They must be available cheaper than the $5-7 I’ve been paying for them at the dealer!

I am using the low-profile Mazda drain bolt.  (Maybe Mazda?)

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

By coincidence I bought a genuine one from a Yam dealer yesterday. U.K. price £2.86 including V.A.T. That converts to $3.89.  Bit surprised at $5 to $7 as comparisons with other parts has generaly shown U. K. prices to be dearer. For example, in the case of the clutch conversion parts from standard to slipper, the price was at least double IIRC.

• Supporting Member

A roll of gasket material is cheap, and there'd be enough there to last a very long time.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

First of all they are not "O-rings", they are aluminum or copper "crush washers".

I can't remember their exact size offhand but say they have in fact a 14 mm ID, then their sizing nomenclature would be approximately 14 x 19 x 2, with 14 being the ID, 19 the OD (2.5 width =  2.5 x 2 + 14) &  2 being the thickness (which can very and be thinner for copper than aluminum.

They should be available for about USD 0.35 (or were anyway before Covid) at most auto parts stores; i.e., NAPA, AutoZone, Adance, etc..

I prefer copper but aluminum is OEM.  Both can usually be reused multiple times (unless you over tighten the drain plug bolt which is a very bad thing to do) by simply flipping them over after each use.  The aluminum washers often develop a circumferential ridge bit still can be reused, and both materials can be softened (annealed) again by a heating with a propane or butane flame because they become work hardened from compression.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I've never changed out a crush washer on an oil drain plug...😁 Never had that problem I guess?

What are ya'll doing that's causing it to leak all the time?

Edited by kilo3
words english suck
  • Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Crush washers can be reused, but are considered a single-use item by engineers and professional mechanics.  Just like O-rings.  They are deliberately soft to squish in to any machining defects on the surfaces being sealed.

Cheap insurance if you buy them in bulk.

It's silly to not use a new crush washer for each oil change.  You are only saving $0.35 to $0.50 but take a risk of your oil leaking out which potentially can cost you hundreds.

They are called CRUSH washers for a reason, they get crushed on the first use.

6 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

take a risk of your oil leaking out which potentially can cost you hundreds.

I suppose if you don't check your bike over before setting off, and ignore the puddle of oil under your bike, all while putting tape over the oil light on your dash, followed by ignoring your coolant temp raising followed by your water temp light going on.  I mean yeah, then it could potentially cost you hundreds, at that point it's an idiot tax.

• Haha 3

Two reasons to use em:

They help prevent overtightening of the drain plug cause you can feel the washer compress as you tighten it down in the aluminum oil pan.

In an area where there is lots of thermal expansion and contraction they maintain a good seal cycle after heating cycle.

Like all things FJ, there are good reasons the engineers specified their use.

Since I’m running the low profile Mazda drain bolt I’m gonna see what the Mazda dealer charges for these little bits.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

20 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Two reasons to use em:

They help prevent overtightening of the drain plug cause you can feel the washer compress as you tighten it down in the aluminum oil pan.

In an area where there is lots of thermal expansion and contraction they maintain a good seal cycle after heating cycle.

Like all things FJ, there are good reasons the engineers specified their use.

Since I’m running the low profile Mazda drain bolt I’m gonna see what the Mazda dealer charges for these little bits.

A ten pack of washers for $6.45 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254469779953?hash=item3b3f94b1f1:g:qOoAAOSwUQ5bvh2t