My FJ09 now has a big brother...

betoney

I had one few years back, manual gear. Was a very comfortable ride and liked it very much. But was a bit heavy for pushing it out of the garage every day for commuting.

Besides the weight, I also got vibrations in the front wheel. Was replaced under warranty, but it returned 1 year later. Somehow the front wheel is very suseptical to bounces, and I was very carefull with that! 
In the end, I changed it for the somewhat smaller VFR800X. But now very pleased with the Tracer 900, as the engine is much more to my liking.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Fleng said:

I had one few years back, manual gear. Was a very comfortable ride and liked it very much. But was a bit heavy for pushing it out of the garage every day for commuting.

Yes, it is certainly a heavy bike.  When I took it out for a test ride I was a bit nervous and intimidated but once I left the dealership parking lot, those worries went away.  Honda REALLY know now to engineer the mass centralization and lower center of gravity for an enjoyable ride. 

For a bike its size, it can definitely zip through some winding roads with a light steering feel, in my experience it steers lighter than my buddies FJR, and the cockpit definitely fits me better, I like the sit-upright, adventure bike-like ergonomics.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I’m kind of jealous of you Betoney, you have a bike that you can farkel up right away. I’m still waiting for stuff that I ordered 6 month’s ago for my Pan America. 
 The VFR might be a little chunky but you will appreciate that on long highway rides and you will get use to it and won’t even think about it. ENJOY!

• Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I’m kind of jealous of you Betoney, you have a bike that you can farkel up right away. I’m still waiting for stuff that I ordered 6 month’s ago for my Pan America.

I'm not planning on going crazy with modifications... (YEAH RIGHT 🙄) just essentials for functionality, so far just a radiator guard and tank ring to use my tank bag. 

The biggest consideration will be for luggage, the bike came fitted with Givi racks but my FJ uses the Shad bags, I like the Shad bags but if my research is correct, they are considerably wider than the Givi cases, like 5-6" wider per side.

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, betoney said:

I'm not planning on going crazy with modifications...

Look, I know it’s hard, but the first step is admitting that you have a problem…  😉

But a sincere congratulations on the new bike!   Sounds like a nice bookend to the FJ, and you’ll be able to enjoy both moving forward. 

• Haha 2

Congratulations! That's a rare bike north of the border. 

I considered buying one before ending up with a Tracer. I took a DCT version out for a spin but didn't really like how it shifted. If it had been a manual, I would have bought it. 

I found it to be a well planted bike, nicely balanced. I also noticed that speedometer can rise really quick without you noticing it.  

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Look, I know it’s hard, but the first step is admitting that you have a problem…  😉

Hi, my name is Brian and I have ... 😎

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, larolco said:

I found it to be a well planted bike, nicely balanced. I also noticed that speedometer can rise really quick without you noticing it.  

I noticed the same thing, very planted and a lot of confidence in the front end entering and holding a line through corners and she hides her weight very well when moving.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

I'm curious as to how those Conti's will wear.  My FJ came with the same tires, and they wore terribly.  The rear took a puncture all too quickly, and the front cupped and feathered in odd patterns.  I'm sure it was mostly the rider, but after moving to Road 5's it's been smooth sailing.  And smooth wear.

I'd bet they're more appropriate for a heavier bike such as that gleaming V4.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, knyte said:

I'm curious as to how those Conti's will wear.  My FJ came with the same tires, and they wore terribly.  The rear took a puncture all too quickly, and the front cupped and feathered in odd patterns.  I'm sure it was mostly the rider, but after moving to Road 5's it's been smooth sailing.  And smooth wear.

I'd bet they're more appropriate for a heavier bike such as that gleaming V4.

To be honest I know nothing about these tires, I have never used Continental and don't know anyone who has used them either.  I will use them for the "getting to know you" phase of new bike ownership between now and summer and then get something I am familiar with, though now I will probably have to shop for "GT Spec" tires.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

IIRC they're a 60/40 on/offroad or something.  Seemed like an odd choice for the FJ.  I can only imagine the dealership just had them laying around and it was simply convenient to mount them.

That's sick that the side cases fit!!  Seems like the planets really lined up for you on this Honda :)

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, knyte said:

That's sick that the side cases fit!!  Seems like the planets really lined up for you on this Honda :)

I agree, everything just kind of fell into place at the right time.  👍

• Like 1